PDA

View Full Version : sena sm10

gmcgarrity
05-07-2014, 07:02 PM
We have paired the SMH10 head set no problem. Had to install a firmware update. works fine.

I installed the sm10 dongle to the Spyder and do not have the power light on or music streaming from the radio.

I plugged my iPod into the sm10 and I hear music in the headset as it should work.
I plugged it back into the Spyder nothing.

What did I do wrong?

2014 white se6
thanks
Geo

finless
05-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Where are you trying to plug the sm10?
If the iPod port in the trunk that will not work.

Bob

gmcgarrity
05-07-2014, 07:40 PM
the wire harness that comes with the dongle plugs into the radio in the back and then goes all the way to the funk
it has an RCA and a USB mini plug which goes into the dongle.
there is a new mounting bracket that goes in the funk
my understanding is the RCA would be coming from the radio/iPod section and controlled by the buttons on the left handle bars.
thus you could change channels or songs as if they were coming out of the speakers and hear them in your headset

I would expect to see the charge light on the SM10 when plugged into the USB plug and power on
it does not light

thanks
geo

SpyderFun
05-07-2014, 07:42 PM
No Power....Check fuse. Then re-check connectors. Did you get the BRP dongle or Sena?

Jim&Teresa
05-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Start with the basics: When you turn on the Spyder, make sure you have pressed the Mode button to turn on the audio system. Also, check your audio setting in your preferences as well.

Seems odd you don't have power or the radio signal. Is the harness plugged into the radio correctly?

Also, you dongle should have power in it's battery to power the unit. The bike power supplements the internal power supply and keeps it charged when the bike is on. If you turn off your bike, the dongle's internal power supply will eventually go dead...so it's important to always shut off your dongle each time you stop riding. I forgot to do this a few times and it's a pain as it has to charge awhile before it connects again.

I would charge the dongle off your USB home port (where you updated the firmware). Then you know you have power to the dongle. It would be "odd" to have both power and audio signal fail unless the plug is not engaged properly IMHO. The dongle power (like the headsets) will light red when charging and turn blue when fully charged.

Also, there is a SENA Technical Service number you can call if you need to: 866-300-1235. I used this one time when I first got my system about a year ago. The Tech was very good, but had to wait about 10 minutes before he came on the line. I think they're located in San Jose, CA, so time your call to them accordingly if you decide to contact them for help.

BTW...you can save yourself a lot of pain and time by putting the dongle in the rear trunk instead of the frunk. I did that and it works fine and make the wiring a breeze...

Good luck. :thumbup:

gmcgarrity
05-08-2014, 06:12 AM
I purchased it from BRP
I will double check the wires and plug

thanks all for the advice.

ride safe

Geo