PDA

View Full Version : Houston... We Might Have A Problem...

Bob Denman
05-07-2014, 06:34 PM
:shocked: So I'm off to School today for 8 hours...
When I get to the Hall; the right side f the bike seems to have oil on it! :yikes:
I first noticed it on the lowest air deflector; down by my feet.
I checked the oil fill, and all was dry up there...
then I started looking forward...
There's oil on the right front shock body; but not necessarily on the spring... :dontknow:
Have we seen any other reports of bad 2014 shocks?
Is there an oil cooler up front that might have popped a leak?

Chupaca
05-07-2014, 06:52 PM
but would suspect an oil line somewhere. If they switched cooler around. The RS has the oil cooler on the left side sitting on the machine and on the 14's they moved all the radiators up front. If you can check the oil lines and radiator cause if its from there it would blow back to the shock. Hope it is only a loose connection...:gaah:

Silvervette05
05-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Hopefully just a loose connection :pray:

PaSpyderRyder
05-07-2014, 08:16 PM
:shocked: So I'm off to School today for 8 hours...
When I get to the Hall; the right side f the bike seems to have oil on it! :yikes:
I first noticed it on the lowest air deflector; down by my feet.
I checked the oil fill, and all was dry up there...
then I started looking forward...
There's oil on the right front shock body; but not necessarily on the spring... :dontknow:
Have we seen any other reports of bad 2014 shocks?
Is there an oil cooler up front that might have popped a leak?
Bob,

Keep us posted as what the issue is and the out come

Thanks,
Bob

garb55
05-07-2014, 10:16 PM
2014 RT has no oil cooler up front
It is mounted on the motor
If oil is on the shock it must be coming from the shock because there is no oil in front of the shock
Are you sure it is oil and not coolant?
Don

cptjam
05-08-2014, 01:55 AM
Scrub clean, then inspect. Go on a slow ride, hit the brakes hard a couple of times. Inspect. Sometimes, a dusting of powder helps find the source. Good luck! Joe

StanProff
05-08-2014, 06:04 AM
I would guess it is the shock. As stated, no external oil cooler on the 1330. It happens, My son has a tricked out 2013 Tacoma pickup that developed a shock leak when it was less than 3 months old. It left a puddle of oil in his driveway. Everyone with a 1330 should notice theirs to see if possibly there was a bad batch of shocks.

Bob Denman
05-08-2014, 06:56 AM
I did a bit of tracing last evening... There seems to be no "messiness" forward of the shock itself...
But it's kind of tough to try and "Bounce" a front corner of these bikes; there's nothing to grab! :dontknow:

SteveMac
05-08-2014, 07:18 AM
I did a bit of tracing last evening... There seems to be no "messiness" forward of the shock itself...
But it's kind of tough to try and "Bounce" a front corner of these bikes; there's nothing to grab! :dontknow:

Try Joes suggestion in post 6. That will generate the force you need.

I think bob squirted some oil on that shock, so he can point it out to the missus and say, "see honey, we NEED those Elkas..." :roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-08-2014, 07:50 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif Hmmmmm.... That's actually NOT a bad idea... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif
(You don't happen to have a set stored in that Wing anywhere; do you?
We've got nothing but rain and thunderstorms on the radar up here for about the next week. I'll do some cleaning some cleaning, and see what I can see in the comfort of the garage! :D

Tango
05-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Good luck with that Bob. No trailer available? Can dealer come and get it? If not. Drive down the road, park it safe, call for a tow. :f_spider: More than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. :thumbup: Keep us all informed. :chat: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
05-08-2014, 09:15 AM
It's rideable; I'm just not sure when the weather is going to co-operate with me again... :shocked: :D

Nils888
05-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Bob. If you end up having a bad shock. I have the stock shocks off my 2014 RTS I could send you if you need one.

Bob Denman
05-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Thanks! :D I really appreciate that generous offer :clap:... But it would be a warranty issue anyway, so I'm good! :thumbup:

SpyderFolks helping out!! This is a fantastic place!! nojoke

warp10
05-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Bob, I heard that BRP was able to get the stock shocks price down to $7 each, :yikes: even if that is not true and they are 4 times higher, you get what you pay for. Cheap no adjustment shocks.
I think this is a great time to upgrade to Elkas :yes: :thumbup: You know how good the Elkas are. :firstplace:

Just tell the misses that you don't want to take a chance on anything happening to her by replacing the cheap shocks with more cheap shocks.

Bob Denman
05-09-2014, 07:43 AM
:D This has really forced some soul-searching at "Chez-Denman"... :shocked:
I really do LIKE the ride and handling of the bike...
But I fully understand and appreciate the upgraded components too!
I've got a window of opportunity tonight, where i can play around under the bike, and find the source of this.
If it is just a shock; I'll most likely just call my dealer, fill them in, and tell them to give me a call when the replacements arrive.
It'll buy me more time to decide about BajaRon's Bar, and The Elkas from John! :2thumbs:

SteveMac
05-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Question.
Even though the sway bar and shocks have different functions, would putting a sway bar on, relieve any side to side stress on the shocks? I don't know the physics, but since the shock does have an upper and lower mount, it seems to me that excessive right to left movement might put additional stress on the shock seals. Like the weakest link scenario. Especially on a very cheaply made shock.

Just wondering out loud.

Bob Denman
05-09-2014, 07:58 AM
:shocked: That's not a question...
That's a GOOD question! :thumbup:
It would bring more spring into the equation; at least in the turns.

Tango
05-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Bob, anything on this? If I had my trailer I'd offer. Butt, that's another story. :banghead: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
05-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks Tom... :thumbup:
I cleaned all of the "wahdering oil" off the side of the bike...
In between coughing myself unconscious, and blowing my nose; I jumped up and down and generally hassled the shock. :D
No seepage; no weepage.. :dontknow:

Tango
05-11-2014, 08:29 PM
In between coughing myself unconscious, and blowing my nose; I jumped up and down and generally hassled the shock. :D

:thumbup: Lets hope. :pray: Tom :trike:

garb55
05-11-2014, 10:38 PM

Are you sure its the shock?
Could it be a leak in the brake line or coolant?
Line could have a leak if it was rubbing somewhere
My dealer found a coolant line rubbing and fixed it so it could not rub anymore
Just a thought
Don

garb55
05-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Bob
Have you been able to go out ridding since you found the oil on your bike?
If so any more leaks?
If it is a brake line it would not show up until you use the brakes.
Pin hole coolant leak may not show up until it is at running temp
The fan reversal might pull things forward so you could find a leak a little behind the shock area
Keep us posted
Good luck
Don

Bob Denman
05-15-2014, 12:21 PM
It's been too rainy...:banghead:
and I've been too sick...:shocked:
...For any riding...:gaah:
A buudy of mine offered to come down to the office with a Shop-Vac, and a long hunk of tubing... we figure to suck the :cus: out of my lungs that's making this such an interesting situation!
If we do this without killing me in the process; it'll be Youtubed: for sure! :D

garb55
05-15-2014, 01:29 PM
It's been too rainy...:banghead:
and I've been too sick...:shocked:
...For any riding...:gaah:
A buudy of mine offered to come down to the office with a Shop-Vac, and a long hunk of tubing... we figure to suck the :cus: out of my lungs that's making this such an interesting situation!
If we do this without killing me in the process; it'll be Youtubed: for sure! :D

I don't know about my lungs
But I wish I could let the air out of the spare tire around my middle
The weather must be getting better back there
So you need to get better soon
You've waited a long time to put some miles on your new 2014
Don

Bob Denman
05-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Somehow; I have reached the thousand-mile mark! :D