PDA

View Full Version : RT rear tire life

Lucky13
05-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Hello fellow Spyder fans! I have had a 2013 Spyder RT Limited since August of last year, and have never posted anything to this web site until now. Prior to buying this machine, however, I did read many of the posts on this site. Because of that, I was prepared for many of this machine's short-comings. Short-comings like poor fuel economy, lack of extensive dealer network, somewhat difficult to work on, etc. I was prepared for those. After numerous test drives, I decided the pluses outweighed the negatives, and made the purchase. Nothing prepared me for the rear tire situation though. Maybe I didn't read enough posts after all?

Here's the thing: My new Spyder has not yet reached the 5,000 mile mark (due at least in part to the terrible winter Michigan had this year). And yet the center portion of the rear tire is already down to the wear bars. It looks as if it has been over-inflated the whole time (it has not been). A few days ago, I asked one of my "local" dealers (2 hour round trip) what they've been seeing for average rear tire life on Spyders. I was told about 7000 miles, and in a manner that implied it was normal, and acceptable. I would never expect a Spyder to get automotive type mileage from a tire, but 5 to 7 thousand miles? What's up with that? The 2009 Harley Ultra Classic I traded in was getting 17,000 miles on a rear tire (with their new dual-compound rubber design). If a Harley rear tire can do that with no adverse handling quirks, why shouldn't a Spyder rear tire be able to do at least that well?

BRP implies that something evil may happen if you do not replace the tire with their special design. I have read on this site that many of you out there have switched to an automotive tire. For those of you who have -- have you noticed any difference in handling, ride comfort, etc.? And, if any of you are privy to BRP engineering information relating to this topic (Lamonster?), can you explain why a Spyder rear tire would need a soft and sticky a rubber compound like a 2-wheeler? Please help me to understand.

I better not end on a sour note though. I do love this machine. It's not only a great ride, but my wife can drive it too. I look forward to hearing from ya'all.

Luchy13

wis2013rtltd
05-06-2014, 04:49 PM
if you do a search you will have hours of entertainment value viewing tire related posts..... I have never driven a Spyder with a car tire, but many have, and I have seen few complaints after the switch to a car tire. Good luck on your research, but I would think if Can-Am thought a car tire design was best, they would come with car tires.

mastertek2000
05-06-2014, 04:51 PM
i read them post you talk of when i was tour on my 2 wheeler i was doing a set every year but we where doing 10000-12000 a year the spyder tire is much softer then bike tires i have noticed we are going to start touring again and i hope i get more then that i don't want to be installing tires on the road you would think 10000 miles would be a fair distance before you need tires we leave in July for a month wish for the best

Dudley
05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I have never made a decision on changing a tire on anything I have ever owned, by the "wear" marks. I look at the tire...if it looks like it's going "bald", I change it. If I see that the rubber isn't smooth, I run it. If you are not an aggressive driver, you will probably get 10-13,000 miles out of your tire. If you can, snap a picture and post it for us to see.

Flash Gordon
05-06-2014, 05:07 PM
I traded my 2009 Harley Heritage Softail for my first 2013 RT-Limited. The Harley rear tire should have been changed at 9,000 miles, but I ran it until I traded it at 9,500 miles and it was slick. I have never heard of anyone getting much over 10,000 on a rear tire with a Harley. My Spyder dealer here in Central CFPS stock and install automobile front and rear tires on Spyders as the customer requests. Most Spyder owner are changing to the car tires, but some people get great mileage from the OEM tires. The biggest complaint on the rear tire wear is that it wears in the middle. Many have started using less than the recommended amount of psi in order to help this wear problem. There are lots of threads on this site concerning tires for the Spyder. Also, I have read where there are slots in the tires that are there to help on wet pavement, therefore make sure that you are looking at the real wear marks, not the ones used for improving traction under wet conditions. I traded my 2013 for my 2014 RT-Limited when I only had 4500 miles on it, so I have not had the need to be checking the wear of my rear tire on the Spyders. Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyders and also Spyder Lovers. Wishing you many miles of smiles.:yes:

Chupaca
05-06-2014, 06:08 PM
just be sure you are checking at the proper point. I have 18,000 on mine and many that ryde with us have similar mileage. Now reading here I do see sad numbers. Though the center line is niw gone on mine I still have a way to go to get to the wear limit. 87790 see that little triangle mark on the tires edge. Across from that is the wear limit block. If thats where you checked then your right. Once smooth across your at the limit....:thumbup:

2ndChildhood
05-06-2014, 06:20 PM
I had to replace my rear tire on my 2012 RTL at 12,000 miles. It was wore out in the center. My front tires are still going strong at about 18,000 miles. I now run 27psi in the rear and 17psi in the front. I see you are also from Michigan, I live in the Fenton area.

Welcome to the Spyder group

ToM
Spyderfest 2014

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OldCowboy
05-06-2014, 10:42 PM
I have a 2013 RT-S and after just over 3000 miles I'm down to the wear bars in the center of the tread. I don't do "burn outs", but do ride in a spirited manner on Ozark Mountain back roads. I'll need a new rear tire some time between 4000 and 5000 miles.

SpyderAnn01
05-06-2014, 11:56 PM
What tire pressure do you run in your rear tire? If it is wearing in the center you may be over inflating it.

bikeguy
05-06-2014, 11:56 PM
First off, I agree with Dudley, I can tell when a tire is worn out without paying that much attention to the wear indicators. Secondly, it's my opinion that the OEM rear tires on Spyders will always wear out in the center of the tread because the flexible sidewalls on a motorcycle tire design allow the tire to grow at highway speeds no matter what tire pressure you run. Not saying that tire pressures may not make a difference but I don't think there is any magic figure that will stop the tires from wearing out in the center. In fact, I believe that best rear tire wear is probably obtained by running BRP's recommended pressure. Third, I wore out two OEM rears and then installed a Kumho Ecsta. The first OEM got app. 9040 miles, the second a little over 5000 miles although it wasn't completely worn out. The first Kumho got 17,700 miles and I'm still on the second with about 6,000 miles on it. The original Kenda OEM's are still on the front with almost 38,000 miles and counting. Fourth, I can tell very little difference in handling between the OEM rear and the Kumho. I think the OEM has a little more traction but not much more and that may be because I run 32 PSI in the Kumho because it is a car tire and has stiffer sidewalls. Fifth, there are a multitude of things that affect tire wear so it makes it really hard to compare tire mileage from one person to another unless they are riding under very similar conditions. Road surfaces, average temperatures, tire pressures, riding styles, country roads vs. freeways, etc., etc. Even times of day can make a difference as can the length of your rides. Longer rides tend to get tires hotter and that will make them wear more. If you ride 200 miles early in the morning when it's cool, you may get better tire wear than someone who rides in the heat of the day. And, of course, heavy right hands can wear out tires very quickly.

Cotton

DC_Jon
05-07-2014, 06:14 AM
I replaced my 2013 RTS's rear tire at 11k. The center tread was bald.

mefonz
05-07-2014, 06:19 AM
That does not sound right.
We put 18,000 miles on our 2010 RT, Before replacing it and it was just touching the wear bars.
Maybe you have to much air in it??:yikes:

Plus the front ones were barely worn.:clap:

Lucky13
05-07-2014, 08:12 AM
I have a 2013 RT-S and after just over 3000 miles I'm down to the wear bars in the center of the tread. I don't do "burn outs", but do ride in a spirited manner on Ozark Mountain back roads. I'll need a new rear tire some time between 4000 and 5000 miles.

Are you accepting this tire wear as normal?

Lucky13
05-07-2014, 08:38 AM
First off, I agree with Dudley, I can tell when a tire is worn out without paying that much attention to the wear indicators. Secondly, it's my opinion that the OEM rear tires on Spyders will always wear out in the center of the tread because the flexible sidewalls on a motorcycle tire design allow the tire to grow at highway speeds no matter what tire pressure you run. Not saying that tire pressures may not make a difference but I don't think there is any magic figure that will stop the tires from wearing out in the center. In fact, I believe that best rear tire wear is probably obtained by running BRP's recommended pressure. Third, I wore out two OEM rears and then installed a Kumho Ecsta. The first OEM got app. 9040 miles, the second a little over 5000 miles although it wasn't completely worn out. The first Kumho got 17,700 miles and I'm still on the second with about 6,000 miles on it. The original Kenda OEM's are still on the front with almost 38,000 miles and counting. Fourth, I can tell very little difference in handling between the OEM rear and the Kumho. I think the OEM has a little more traction but not much more and that may be because I run 32 PSI in the Kumho because it is a car tire and has stiffer sidewalls. Fifth, there are a multitude of things that affect tire wear so it makes it really hard to compare tire mileage from one person to another unless they are riding under very similar conditions. Road surfaces, average temperatures, tire pressures, riding styles, country roads vs. freeways, etc., etc. Even times of day can make a difference as can the length of your rides. Longer rides tend to get tires hotter and that will make them wear more. If you ride 200 miles early in the morning when it's cool, you may get better tire wear than someone who rides in the heat of the day. And, of course, heavy right hands can wear out tires very quickly.

Cotton

Thanks for sharing your story Bikeguy! Just curious -- what factors led you to choose Kumho?

bikeguy
05-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks for sharing your story Bikeguy! Just curious -- what factors led you to choose Kumho?

Several things. A number of others had reported using Kumhos and having mostly good luck with them. Kumhos were fairly cheap and made a tire that was the same size as the OEM rear tire. But, I have to admit, the biggest reason was that my neighbor is a tire dealer and Kumho was one of the brands that he sells. He hadn't sold one to be used on a Spyder but had sold lots for use on cars and his customers were pleased with them. After I had good luck with the first one, it was easy to make the decision to buy the second one.

Cotton

Boriken
05-08-2014, 05:16 PM
I just replaced the front tires on my 2011 RTS at 26,200 miles only because they where showing wear to the inside, the rear tire in my estimation has 5 to 10 thousand miles left on it.

Jeriatric
05-08-2014, 05:29 PM
RT with18,000 on the OEM tire. With and witout trailer...never slow, and lots and lots of twisties. Probably has 2000 miles of dry riding left in it but, have decided to change it out for another OEM before heading North through the mountains of Ca, Or, and Washington later this month.

Cause it could get a little wet along the way.

SpyderDon65
05-15-2014, 09:16 PM
My rear tire has 13,800 miles on it and will be replaced next week with an Arachnid :ani29: to see how it handles and lasts.
I could probably put another 1000 on it but we have two trips coming up and want to play it safe.
Most of my riding is two-up and about half the time we are pulling the trailer. Our roads up here are pretty poor
but we don't usually get the hotter temperatures.

Bob Denman
05-16-2014, 07:21 AM
500 miles, or 50,000 miles... :shocked:
If that center section of tread is shot; replace the tire! nojoke
These babies WILL hydroplane on you in a heartbeat; given half a chance... :shocked:

Dat Guy
05-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Which Kumho tire replaces the factory rear? I'm having a heard time figuring out which to buy for my 2013 RT. :banghead:

ARtraveler
05-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Rear Tire: I have consistently got 13K to 15 K on 4 of my :spyder2:'s. I now have purchased a 2014 and everyone is saying that 6000 miles seems to be the rear tire life. I have another 5000 miles to go to determine if that will be my situation.

Front Tires: I have got 20K to 23K on all sets of front tires so far.

A lot of the big and powerful motorcycles see 5K to 7K miles on the rear tires. My Vulcan 2000cc got 5000 miles out of the first rear tire.

Dan McNally
06-02-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm having the 4,600 mile service done soon. I was just looking at my rear tire . . . 4250 miles and the center wear bars are even with the tread :banghead: . . . I run with the recommended air pressure . . . pretty disconcerting to think the rear tire is ready to replace, so soon. Come on, BRP . . . offer a better tire . . . it isn't rocket science.

tigerdr
06-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Which Kumho tire replaces the factory rear? I'm having a heard time figuring out which to buy for my 2013 RT. :banghead:

Khumo Ecsta in the same size as OEM.

Bob Denman
06-02-2014, 12:54 PM
The Ecsta... :thumbup:

(AST? ):dontknow:

tigerdr
06-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Yes, the Khumo Ecsta AST KU25 225/50-R15