PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket air intakes?

Dat Guy
05-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Ok, after a lot of reading here, I'm getting conflicting opinions from what I've seen. Can a few of you offer your opinions on the benefits and drawbacks of installing an aftermarket air intake? Things I'm particularly interested in improving on my 2013 RT are MPG (I get about 26.2 currently) and reducing temps if possible.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Chupaca
05-06-2014, 12:42 AM
87747 the RS air box 87748 the bulky part filled this area 87749 overhanging to the opposite side.
Removing that box opens up the area and allows the air to flow through the engine compartment. While moving engine runs cooler and it is also cooler in stop and go but not much. Mileage I quit checking some time ago, back when I did I got average 33 mpg but would be anywhere from 27 to 40. Can't tell you about mileage but can tell you you will feel the boost. As for drawbacks the only one I have heard was the sound of the air flowing through the throttle body. I love it not all do. If you like quiet you may have to modify it or just do the air cleaner in the stock box...:thumbup:

Dat Guy
05-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Interesting, thanks very much. What do you mean by this?

If you like quiet you may have to modify it or just do the air cleaner in the stock box...:thumbup:

Still interested in hearing of others experience with this as well, especially with the RTs.

Chupaca
05-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Interesting, thanks very much. What do you mean by this?

Still interested in hearing of others experience with this as well, especially with the RTs.

If you don't get more info check with Jerbear and JT himself they both have RT's.... :ohyea:

jthornton
05-06-2014, 06:59 AM

What would you like to know?

My seat of the pants experience is the engine area is cooler now so the tupperware is cooler. After sitting in traffic and getting rolling again the temperature seems to drop faster so I attribute that to better air flow.

The air intake sound is IMHO slightly louder at cruise and you can really hear it when doing full throttle acceleration. It is for me a pleasant sound.

This is only my option and I'm not trying to sell you on this. I hate "selling"... and I guess if I was a "salesman" I would have loaded MurphyBrown up with stuff when I was installing a third Ram Ball on her Dash Mount at SpyderFest.

JT

Ramjet
05-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Advantages;

1.) clears the the engine area up by opening that area.
2.) Easier to service the motor, I.e. valve adjustments , changing plugs etc..
3.) Air can move through the engine compartment more freely thus helping push out hot radiant heat.
4.) Easier path for intake air better engine performance.

Cons

1.) Engine noise increases during acceleration.
2.) If you this and exhaust you will need to do closed loop fuel management system.
3.) with number 2 above fuel mileage will drop performance will increase.

want better mileage? Buy a Moped...........:roflblack:

jthornton
05-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Advantages;

1.) clears the the engine area up by opening that area.
2.) Easier to service the motor, I.e. valve adjustments , changing plugs etc..
3.) Air can move through the engine compartment more freely thus helping push out hot radiant heat.
4.) Easier path for intake air better engine performance.

Cons

1.) Engine noise increases during acceleration.
2.) If you this and exhaust you will need to do closed loop fuel management system.
3.) with number 2 above fuel mileage will drop performance will increase.

want better mileage? Buy a Moped...........:roflblack:

Depends on the exhaust you use, some have reported that no fuel management was needed with the exhaust they used.

JT

Ramjet
05-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Depends on the exhaust you use, some have reported that no fuel management was needed with the exhaust they used.

JT

How would they know unless they measured the AF ratio?

jthornton
05-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Dunno, just repeating what I read... seems like if you need fuel ratio override the engine tells you by coughing and not running right.

JT

SNOOPY
05-06-2014, 07:06 PM

I have the JT cleaner, Akropovic exhaust and an A/F gauge and my bike is running great...I may even add the cat bypass and see how it does since I'm not even close to running lean.

DrewNJ
05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
I have the JT cleaner, Akropovic exhaust and an A/F gauge and my bike is running great...I may even add the cat bypass and see how it does since I'm not even close to running lean.

The AFR gauge you installed was probably one of the best things you could have done along with the other bolt on engine mods.

Those who "think" they can tell how a motor is running or "think" everything is running right are doing nothing but guessing.
You can have a motor that seems to run perfectly fine but still do damage due to running a bad tune for an extended period.

Funny that most don't even bother to check....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SNOOPY
05-06-2014, 07:24 PM
I spent too much money to guess at it. :thumbup:

Dat Guy
05-06-2014, 11:14 PM
The "air cleaner in the stock box"... what is this exactly? :dontknow:

joet82
05-07-2014, 12:06 AM

it's the filter inside the stock air intake.

Dat Guy
05-07-2014, 12:14 AM
I understand that part, but the way he said it implied there may be some sort of special air filter that can be used in place of the normal one. I should have been more clear with my question, sorry about that.

Jeriatric
05-07-2014, 01:02 AM
the AFR gauge you installed was probably one of the best things you could have done along with the other bolt on engine mods.

Those who "think" they can tell how a motor is running or "think" everything is running right are doing nothing but guessing.
You can have a motor that seems to run perfectly fine but still do damage due to running a bad tune for an extended period.

Funny that most don't even bother to check....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Think Snoopy said he installed his AFR sensor after the cat(not cat bypass). Have not asked but pretty sure he did it that way because it is the first place both pipes are collected(an assumption on my part- 4 sure). Any thoughts or opinion on post cat AFR sensor reading reliability?

joet82
05-07-2014, 03:21 AM
I understand that part, but the way he said it implied there may be some sort of special air filter that can be used in place of the normal one. I should have been more clear with my question, sorry about that.

There are a couple that replace the stock air filter, but I haven't looked into it as I have the KewlMetal intake with the K&N Filter as shown above.

SNOOPY
05-07-2014, 04:47 AM
Think Snoopy said he installed his AFR sensor after the cat(not cat bypass). Have not asked but pretty sure he did it that way because it is the first place both pipes are collected(an assumption on my part- 4 sure). Any thoughts or opinion on post cat AFR sensor reading reliability?

Correct, and from what I've read it may show a few tenths leaner after the cat, except WOT should be pretty accurate even after the cat.

If someone has a more reliable source for that info I'd like to know, I've gathered that info browsing other forums.

SNOOPY
05-07-2014, 04:48 AM

I think people replace the stock paper filter w an oiled K&N filter.

Magdave
05-07-2014, 09:36 AM

Talking to a guy at the Myrtle Beach rally this week he said he gets 35mpg+ with a K&N filter in the stock box on his 2012 RT.:dontknow: I can't say I am a big fan of K&N but the do flow better and can allow larger particles to pass through.

jthornton
05-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Talking to a guy at the Myrtle Beach rally this week he said he gets 35mpg+ with a K&N filter in the stock box on his 2012 RT.:dontknow: I can't say I am a big fan of K&N but the do flow better and can allow larger particles to pass through.

I'm not a fan of letting larger particles of grit to go into my engines...

JT

Magdave
05-07-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm not a fan of letting larger particles of grit to go into my engines...

JT

I hear you,But you know they are very popular and seem to have a good rep in the auto performance sector. There is also the Green Filter alternative too. Dyno tests seem to support a slight increase in performance with K&N. With the oil that gets sucked into the intake they may very well be self oiling on the Spyder :roflblack:

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spyderhighperformancefilter.html

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spyderfilter.jpg

DrewNJ
05-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Correct, and from what I've read it may show a few tenths leaner after the cat, except WOT should be pretty accurate even after the cat.

If someone has a more reliable source for that info I'd like to know, I've gathered that info browsing other forums.

Your correct.
Same goes with those goofy contraptions that allow you to temporarily bolt the sensor at the end of the tail pipe.

The higher the rpms and greater the exhaust velocity the smaller the difference pre vs post cat installs.

Get rid of that cat. It will really wake up the sound of that exhaust too!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

MikeinGA
05-07-2014, 03:34 PM
What would you like to know?

My seat of the pants experience is the engine area is cooler now so the tupperware is cooler. After sitting in traffic and getting rolling again the temperature seems to drop faster so I attribute that to better air flow.

The air intake sound is IMHO slightly louder at cruise and you can really hear it when doing full throttle acceleration. It is for me a pleasant sound.

This is only my option and I'm not trying to sell you on this. I hate "selling"... and I guess if I was a "salesman" I would have loaded MurphyBrown up with stuff when I was installing a third Ram Ball on her Dash Mount at SpyderFest.

JT

JT
I use Thermo-Tec 14620 60" X 36" Heat and Sound Suppressor on most of my panels and got rid of the BRP flammable foam sound proofing. It's lets more cool air flow due to it's thinner than the much thicker BRP foam. My 2011 RS-S SE5 is much cooler to ride and no more boiling gas in the gas tank and it's a much quieter ride. Let pipes make the noise behind you. That's IMHO.

Mike

SNOOPY
05-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Your correct.
Same goes with those goofy contraptions that allow you to temporarily bolt the sensor at the end of the tail pipe.

The higher the rpms and greater the exhaust velocity the smaller the difference pre vs post cat installs.

Get rid of that cat. It will really wake up the sound of that exhaust too!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Im thinking about trying it if it ever comes available, but don't want it annoyingly loud.

Wife wouldn't like riding if it's too loud either. :(

jthornton
05-08-2014, 05:21 AM
JT
I use Thermo-Tec 14620 60" X 36" Heat and Sound Suppressor on most of my panels and got rid of the BRP flammable foam sound proofing. It's lets more cool air flow due to it's thinner than the much thicker BRP foam. My 2011 RS-S SE5 is much cooler to ride and no more boiling gas in the gas tank and it's a much quieter ride. Let pipes make the noise behind you. That's IMHO.

Mike

Hi Mike,

That looks like some pretty cool stuff. Does it stick pretty good to the panels?

JT

Dat Guy
05-13-2014, 12:21 AM
I hear you,But you know they are very popular and seem to have a good rep in the auto performance sector. There is also the Green Filter alternative too. Dyno tests seem to support a slight increase in performance with K&N. With the oil that gets sucked into the intake they may very well be self oiling on the Spyder :roflblack:

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spyderhighperformancefilter.html

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spyderfilter.jpg

This looks interesting, but it's $64 for just one. Is there anyone here that can vouch for this filter or the K&N filter that will fit in the stock air box before I pull the trigger on it?

Thanks again guys.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-13-2014, 04:07 AM
Ok, after a lot of reading here, I'm getting conflicting opinions from what I've seen. Can a few of you offer your opinions on the benefits and drawbacks of installing an aftermarket air intake? Things I'm particularly interested in improving on my 2013 RT are MPG (I get about 26.2 currently) and reducing temps if possible.

A long time ago I did a cold air intake ( for throttle bodies ) on my GS and then on my RSS, and I don't see why the same couldn't be done for the RT......The info is in the MODS section...................I think it worked very well in getting the air temp down before going into the engine.......JMHO...Mike :thumbup:

Sun-_-Dragon
05-13-2014, 09:57 PM

vary happy with new mod heat is no longer an issue and now have a growl rather than a purr 8829988300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9zdA0AIAZ9Y