PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RTS wiring help

Myoutdoors
05-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm in the process of install a fuse box so I can hook up an additional 12 volt outlet and alarm. I need to splice into a "switched" power...such as running lights. I also need to find the left and right turn signals for the alarm.

Can anyone point me towards those specific colored wires on the 14'? I have the covers off the entire left side and can see the main wiring harness and connectors.

Cruzr Joe
05-05-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm in the process of install a fuse box so I can hook up an additional 12 volt outlet and alarm. I need to splice into a "switched" power...such as running lights. I also need to find the left and right turn signals for the alarm.

Can anyone point me towards those specific colored wires on the 14'? I have the covers off the entire left side and can see the main wiring harness and connectors.

It would be proper to contact Lamont (site owner) prior to advertising on this site.

Cruzr Joe

Myoutdoors
05-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Will do...but that doesn't help with my wiring question:banghead:

Cruzr Joe
05-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Will do...but that doesn't help with my wiring question:banghead:

I would have helped with that question if i knew the correct answer.

Cruzr Joe

Myoutdoors
05-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Thank you, I sent him a pm.

stevedfive
05-05-2014, 11:10 PM
I mounted my alarm under the seat. I got the power from the trunk power outlet. I used the trailer harness connector under the old battery panel under the seat, to connect the alarm to the lights. Easy hookup. I don't have the wire colors handy but can get them tomorrow.

Myoutdoors
05-05-2014, 11:14 PM
That would be great! Thank you. Finless was nice enough to help me with the alarm but I think the 14' wiring is a little different?

stevedfive
05-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Taillights - Orange
Lt Turn - Gray w/Pink stripe
Rt Turn - Brown w/Yellow stripe

PM me if you have any problems and I will send you my phone number.

Myoutdoors
05-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Thank you, I'll take a look later today. So the orange is the "switched" keyed power.

Phil
05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Thank you, I'll take a look later today. So the orange is the "switched" keyed power.
The ULTIMATE answer is to download the 2014 shop manual and pull up the wiring schematic. The entire manual is in PDF / CD from Midwest Manuals for about $29. Then you'll have everything at your fingertips.

I'm about to tear into several electrical mods and had your question and many others. The $$ is small compared to the instant answers now and later.

Myoutdoors
05-06-2014, 04:28 PM
I did just that Phil last night and confirmed those wires that Doc was nice enough to send me. I was just getting impatient and wanted to get it started. I'm with you...a full manual is a must!

Now I'm just looking for a "switched/keyed" power wire I can tap into that's closer to the left front so I can hook up my fuse box. The beauty of these types of forums is that they are filled with people who don't mind sharing some helpful hints and tricks...saves a lot of time finding things...which equals more riding time!

Myoutdoors
05-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Finally all done! Thank you for all the help. Gotta love this forum. A couple of members actually pm'd me a offered me to call with questions. I hope I can help someone in the future...I've found out that the 14's are wired a little differently, obviously partly because of the battery placement change.

Fuse box, spy alarm and front dc outlet installed and in working order :clap:

iSpyder
09-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Finally all done! Thank you for all the help. Gotta love this forum. A couple of members actually pm'd me a offered me to call with questions. I hope I can help someone in the future...I've found out that the 14's are wired a little differently, obviously partly because of the battery placement change.

Fuse box, spy alarm and front dc outlet installed and in working order :clap:

I'm getting ready to install my FZ-1 fusebox on my 2014. Curious about where you ended up tapping into switched power for yours?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Myoutdoors
09-09-2014, 06:12 AM
I ended up buying the online shop manual and tapped into the frunk power. I can't recall the color of the wire. It was fairly easy since it was located on the front left side while sitting on the bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iSpyder
09-11-2014, 08:25 PM
I ended up buying the online shop manual and tapped into the frunk power. I can't recall the color of the wire. It was fairly easy since it was located on the front left side while sitting on the bike

Thank you! I will try to find it. I have the shop manual for the 2014 as well. and the wire colors are Black (18 gauge) and Violet (Main)/Yellow (Tracer) the other way. Do you happen to remember if you tapped violet for the switched power? From what I see on the diagram that appears to be correct but just wanting to be extra careful. On the diagram it appears Black goes toward battery and violet heads off the other way.

Myoutdoors
09-13-2014, 06:36 AM
I'm sorry I haven't been much help...I haven't been visiting the site too much, I'm getting ready for heating season in the NE and cutting cord wood. For a switched power, I tied into the LED Frunk light. I'm not sure of the color right now and tried to look back in my emails to other members but couldnt find it. I remember finding it on the wiring diagram and just confirming the colors and checking with a meter. It's on the left side near the top of the frunk...easy access and worked well for the fuse block.

iSpyder
09-25-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm sorry I haven't been much help...I haven't been visiting the site too much, I'm getting ready for heating season in the NE and cutting cord wood. For a switched power, I tied into the LED Frunk light. I'm not sure of the color right now and tried to look back in my emails to other members but couldnt find it. I remember finding it on the wiring diagram and just confirming the colors and checking with a meter. It's on the left side near the top of the frunk...easy access and worked well for the fuse block.

On the contrary, you were helpful. I decided that I will tap into the black wire that will connect to my third party 12v power outlet that I will be installing in the frunk. I realize that it can be changed from switched to constant in the Spyder fuse box but I will be leaving it as switched. I just need to be sure and pass that information on to any future owners IF I sell it...;)

Thanks again!