PDA

View Full Version : Another 2014 Triple Impression

Tanshanomi
05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
SZ-Spydie and I both test rode '14 RT-Limiteds with the BRP road show at Spyderfest.
A few random impressions:

- The triple really is remarkably smooth and torque-y right from idle. No more need to keep it over 4 grand.
- On the other hand, it doesn't sound nearly as nice as the v-twin. In fact, I thought it whined rather annoyingly at higher engine speeds. Over 5 grand, I think I prefer the sound and feel of the twin.
- With all that motor, the 6-speed transmission is nearly overkill. The power curve is so flat that they easily could have simply raised the top gear ratio and spaced out 5 ratios with no complaints. After revving through first, second, and third, I usually found myself already at cruising speed, then just shifted all the way up to sixth gear. 4th & 5th were redundant.
- We both have SM5s, and as nicely as the SE6 shifts, we still didn't enjoy it as much as a manual clutch. There is something about being fully connected and in control of the driveline I enjoy. I also think the manual disguises most of the V990's weaknesses.
- The cognac and satin platinum/burgundy color schemes are some of the prettiest BRP has come up with.

Now, a few general thoughts about Spyders that the ride prompted:

- The one thing you do get with the SE over the manual is very nice floorboards. I've never really minded footpegs, but I had to admit those OE boards are really comfortable.
- We both thought the adjustable suspension on the Limited (though not a new feature for '14) was really neat. It does make a noticeable difference in the ride. On the other hand, everyone we talked to who has it says they eventually found a sweet spot somewhere in the middle and just leave it there.
- My wife really regretted not getting an audio system in her '12, until she had a chance to hear what it really sounds like out on the highway. She quickly realized that a 60 MPH wind blast does not create an ideal auditory environment. Bluetooth helmet speakers are fine.
- I'm again convinced that I did the right thing in buying an RS-S. After decades of riding motorcycles sans fairings, I just can't get used to a windshield in front of me. I haven't been on SZ-Spydie's RT in a while, and on a few longer trips lately I've wondered if I would enjoy a real windshield better than the RS's token sport shield. The test drive reminded me how much I prefer a straight blast of wind than little eddies of turbulence constantly pushing my head around.

Bob Denman
05-05-2014, 01:05 PM
It sounds as if you made the right choice... :2thumbs:
Thanks for the thoughtful and honest opinions! :clap:

Tanshanomi
05-05-2014, 01:54 PM
It sounds as if you made the right choice... :2thumbs:
Thanks for the thoughtful and honest opinions! :clap:

Not to mention the fun I've had in the past year...which I WOULDN'T have had if I'd been waiting around for the 2014s!

Chupaca
05-05-2014, 02:29 PM
with you.. We have the RS and have no interest in moving to the RT of any kind and much less the 14's. You have confirmed my suspisions from the start. Thanks for the review...:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
05-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Not to mention the fun I've had in the past year...which I WOULDN'T have had if I'd been waiting around for the 2014s!
:2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5IVuN1N6-Y

sddinnh
05-05-2014, 02:50 PM
The test drive reminded me how much I prefer a straight blast of wind than little eddies of turbulence constantly pushing my head around.

That's why I think I'm going to look for a shorter windshield for my RT. I too am used to a lot of wind on my BMW's and I find the taller windshield distracting to say the least. If it just went down a couple more inches it would be fine, but I can't find anyone to cut it.:(

Bob Denman
05-05-2014, 02:57 PM
BRP has a 23" model; I'm not sure what Cal-Sci, or F4 have...
Happy Shopping! :thumbup:

Tanshanomi
05-05-2014, 03:09 PM
That's why I think I'm going to look for a shorter windshield for my RT. I too am used to a lot of wind on my BMW's and I find the taller windshield distracting to say the least. If it just went down a couple more inches it would be fine, but I can't find anyone to cut it.:(

Cutting down a windshield is not all that tough. A jigsaw with a superfine blade will cut it without cracking it. Just take your time and run it at low speed.

http://www.motorcyclejustice.com/equipment/Repairs%20and%20Adjustments/windshield.html

spydaman60
05-05-2014, 03:20 PM
with you.. We have the RS and have no interest in moving to the RT of any kind and much less the 14's. You have confirmed my suspisions from the start. Thanks for the review...:2thumbs: I agree with you whole heartedly! it seems that there is a feeling amongst the rs and rss riders that if you like the sport ride there is no desire to own an rt. some people have gone to the rt but either because they wanted more touring capabilities or just because the sport ride wasn't for them. we're 62 year olds that just enjoy the sportier ride!!:2thumbs:

mclaw44
05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
No expert here but cutting the windshield doesn't look to be to diffacult. I purchased a new F4 shield at Spyderfest and the guys with F4 were out of the vented shield I wanted. No worries they siad we will just cut one in. They first got a general idea of the layout and location. Then laid masking / frog tape over the entire area they would be cutting overlapping the cut marks. Using a rotozip like tool they cut the shield and it looked great with a perfect fit for the vent. in less than 5 mins. The guys at F4 may be a great resource to ask for more information on cutting speed etc. if you wanted.

DrewNJ
05-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Then there are some of us that yearn for 150+HP v4's or inline 4's with adjustable nanny control.... :D

Just for fun I've tried a few taller windshields on my RS and I don't think I've gone more than one ride on each of them before pulling them back off.

I've got one of those big monster BRP touring shields that I've toyed around with the idea of cutting it down. Thinking I might like a lower shield with hand protection???....dunno..

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Tanshanomi
05-05-2014, 05:06 PM
An additional problem with taller windscreens on RSs and GSs is that on a stock bike, the forward lean works to partially buoy your torso against the windstream. Once you loose the pressure of the air pushing back against your chest, then the low bars force your wrists to support all the weight of your upper body. I haven't seen one older GS with a touring screen that didn't also have handlebar risers of some sort.

Bob Denman
05-05-2014, 05:47 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_8.gif Change one thing; you end up changing at least two others! :D
The RS/GS Touring windshields should include a set of handlebar risers with them!

DrewNJ
05-05-2014, 06:10 PM
No, the RS/GS Touring windshields should come with a big trash can to put them in...cause that's where it will probably end up. ;)

Personally, I put those big tall bar risers in the same category as the windshield. Unless your riding in a straight line, tall bar risers make for horrible steering when riding the curves. IMHO. :eek:

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
05-06-2014, 06:51 AM
:roflblack: I like the way you put that! :thumbup:
I don't happen to agree... but I DO like it! :D

Tanshanomi
05-06-2014, 08:02 AM
No, the RS/GS Touring windshields should come with a big trash can to put them in...cause that's where it will probably end up. ;)

I don't know about that. I've seen a bunch of GS and RS based homebrew touring machines that the owners seem quite happy with...although for years that was the only option. With the introduction of the ST, I am guessing there will be fewer folks doing that to the newer RSs

clueless
05-06-2014, 08:46 AM
I found the 14 RTs had their power band above 5k rpms. Below that it was sluggish

Tac it up and it comes alive. I rode the one with the Akrapovic upgraded muffler.

Going out of the fair grounds at the first turn on to the road, I got the rpms up and shifted into 2nd and the tail broke lose nicely :-)

At the drag races at Spyderfest it seems it doesn't have the top end. It pulls then runs out on the top speed.
I would think that's on purpose to use the torque where it's most likely to be used

oldgoat
05-06-2014, 11:05 AM
An additional problem with taller windscreens on RSs and GSs is that on a stock bike, the forward lean works to partially buoy your torso against the windstream. Once you loose the pressure of the air pushing back against your chest, then the low bars force your wrists to support all the weight of your upper body. I haven't seen one older GS with a touring screen that didn't also have handlebar risers of some sort.

Spot on :agree:

I have a the Big 25" BRP screen & Kewlmetal risers + the BRP 1" riser & floorboards & highway pegs.

Guess I should've bought an RT !

daveinva
05-06-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm one of "those guys" who turned his RS into an ST before the ST ever existed: 24" Madstad windshield, 3" risers, and footboards. VERY happy with the setup.

The Madstad is easy enough to adjust to block any wind from hitting me, forms a wonderful pocket on the bike during cold and wet riding (not to mention it's far quieter when eating up the miles). Downside is it gets hot in the summer, but come the worst days in July & August I've been swapping out the Madstad for my stock shorty RS shield just to flow the air better, five minute job.

One thing I love about my setup that the ST and RT can't (yet) replicate: I have Rivco's footboards, they don't remove the RS footpegs entirely (they swap out short "sport pegs" instead). I've long gotten used to being very comfortable keeping my heel on the sport pegs and toes on the footboard, I find it a superior cornering position BY FAR than either pegs or footboards/floorboards alone. So much so that if I do end up with an RT or ST next (as a second bike, hopefully!), I'll definitely look to replicate that setup.

gonker
05-06-2014, 01:20 PM

I have the touring windshield, first on my 2010 RT and now on my 2014. I am barely 6 ft tall and look over the shield completely when it is all the way down. It still goes high enough that rain won't bother me, so the best of both worlds. Rather than cut your windshield down, try removing it completely. Makes for an interesting ride..

Bob Denman
05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Gonker,
Since there have been reports of the center strut breaking; a lot of us are running with our windshields raided JUST off of the stops when it's lowered. It is thought that by doing this; it keeps that strut from getting hammered by the stop on bumpy roads...

At 5'10"; I had a bit of a stretch to look over that 27" "Barn Door", that they threw in front of us in 2010. I swapped it out for a 25" screen, and was much happier! :thumbup: