PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RTL - Can't remove gas cap !!

mindman
05-04-2014, 10:38 AM
I went to put gas into the RT today for the first time. When I turned the gas cap counterclockwise to remove it, there was a ratcheting sound just like when you tighten it. I tried pushing down on the cap and turning, pulling up on the cap and turning, turning it clockwise, etc. and all it does is free wheel around and around! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Of all the stupid problems to have this has to take the cake. :gaah: I'll obviously be calling my dealer tomorrow and bringing it in. Hope I at least have enough gas to get there:sour:

I'll keep you all posted.

Texas
05-04-2014, 11:28 AM
That is strange, but of all the problems to possibly have, that would be one of the much less disturbing ones. A gas cap replacement is a easy and non-intrusive repair. I'm wondering if so much pressure has built up in the tank, that the cap can't be removed? I know I've taken the cap off a few times and heard a major hiss. I also wonder if a generic cap from Wal Mart could be used as a replacement (as a quick and cheap solution to your problem).

Highwayman2013
05-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Probably drill a small hole through the top and bottom plastics and you would be able to turn the cap off using the drill bit or a stiff piece of wire to keep them both turning.

Chupaca
05-04-2014, 11:42 AM
have seen this a few times. Seems some caps have a problem with the ratcheting system. If you squeeze the cap you can usually get it off. I know most push down or pull up but doesn't engage the ratchet squeeze it like jucing an orange and twist then get a new cap...:gaah:

Bob Denman
05-04-2014, 11:56 AM
:agree: Try giving it a nice TOUGH squeeze from the sides... :thumbup:
And a generic from Wally-Mart can hold down the fort, until replacements arrive!
Good Luck!

va2djd
05-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Use a paire of plyer to squeeze it

Highwayman2013
05-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Maybe some channel locks

mindman
05-05-2014, 06:18 AM
I tried squeezing the gas cap. No can do - either with or without tools. I'm hesitant to apply too much pressure - fearing that if I actually break it my dealer will say: "Well....you broke it....how is that a warranty issue?".

Bob Denman
05-05-2014, 06:29 AM
If you could get a video of it NOT working; show it to him and ask what HE would have done. :shocked:
Breaking something that's already broken... shouldn't count against you.
Just DON'T crush the filler spout of the tank!

Tango
05-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Pictures and video. Also call the dealer before trying with tools. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

mindman
05-05-2014, 11:30 AM
So...I rode into the dealer this morning. The salesman couldn't open it, one of the techs couldn't open it either. Then the Sr. tech comes out...puts both hands on the cap, pushes down hard with his body weight, twists....and voila! Cap comes off. :opps: Guess I was just too gentle on it. I had tried pushing but not with body weight behind it.

Well at least I wasn't alone feeling stupid LOL!

Turns out the cap was indeed broken inside. You could hear little pieces rattling around in it. The filler neck was fine. Gave me a new cap. In/out in 10 minutes max.

THESE types of problems I can deal with!

Oh yeah.....I did fill up on the way home..no problem :yes:

Thanks for your suggestions

Bob Denman
05-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Glad to hear that you can get gas now! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gif :roflblack: :2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
05-05-2014, 02:13 PM
anything made by man can fail at any time, hope you enjoy your new 2014, I now have over 6,000 miles on mine and love it.

Cruzr Joe

ulflyer
05-09-2014, 04:42 PM
I don't have a lot of strength in my hands and mine was very hard to open; nothing broken, just hard, took both hands to get it off. I swapped the rubber gasket with one off a spare cap that seemed softer and have had no more problems.

can-am sam
05-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Glad to hear a happy ending. You could have been miles from a dealer with the stuck gas cap and an empty tank.

Silvervette05
05-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Good deal

WA5VHU
09-03-2014, 05:51 PM
We were coming back from visiting relatives on a 225 mile run and stopped for gas and the cap would not come off. It just clicked, it was harder to turn counterclockwise than the normal clicks clockwise but it would not budge. I tried pushing, pulling, squeezing and even giving it a little help from some of the different Leatherman tools but it was stuck. Fired the engine back up a couple of times for a couple of minutes each to see if relieving some pressure or vacuum would help but no. After about 40 minutes I gave it another try and it clicked a few times and then slowly started coming off. After filling I screwed it back on and stopped after a couple of clicks then unscrewed it and it came back off like it was greased with butter, no resistance to speak of. The temperature was around 90° and I think it may have pulled a vacuum. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Charles

ARtraveler
09-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Glad your gas cap issue has been solved. :2thumbs:

KX5062
09-03-2014, 08:23 PM
After reading about these gas cap issues I no longer tighten beyond snug. :doorag:

Mikesm
09-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I went to put gas into the RT today for the first time. When I turned the gas cap counterclockwise to remove it, there was a ratcheting sound just like when you tighten it. I tried pushing down on the cap and turning, pulling up on the cap and turning, turning it clockwise, etc. and all it does is free wheel around and around! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Of all the stupid problems to have this has to take the cake. :gaah: I'll obviously be calling my dealer tomorrow and bringing it in. Hope I at least have enough gas to get there:sour:

I'll keep you all posted.

I had the same thing happen to me on the second tank refill 2014 rts, Had to get off with a large pair of channel lock pliers, took about a month and a half for dealer to send me a new gas cap, in the mean time the cap got harder and harder to get off with vise grips so I went to local NAPA store and matched one up, the new cap came from the dealer the next day and no problems so far needless to say I still travel with a large pair of channel lock pliers in the frunk.

bgame
09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on the second tank refill 2014 rts, Had to get off with a large pair of channel lock pliers, took about a month and a half for dealer to send me a new gas cap, in the mean time the cap got harder and harder to get off with vise grips so I went to local NAPA store and matched one up, the new cap came from the dealer the next day and no problems so far needless to say I still travel with a large pair of channel lock pliers in the frunk.

Same here used large channel locks to get it off... My dealer had 3 in stock... no charge...

DrewNJ
09-04-2014, 03:31 PM
After reading about these gas cap issues I no longer tighten beyond snug. :doorag:
Me either. If it clicks, it's to tight.
Just snug it.

coz
09-04-2014, 04:04 PM
if i don't give it a quarter turn past when the clicks start, it will loosen itself completely. how about THAT ? :dontknow:

mtdoragary
03-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Same here used large channel locks to get it off... My dealer had 3 in stock... no charge...
Large channel locks and tremendous effort worked for me. The cap spins freely both ways - won't go on or come off without channel locks. I only have 1500 miles on it.