PDA

View Full Version : CAR TIRES OR MOTORCYCLE TIRES

pellcitypete
05-03-2014, 08:12 PM
The other I was setting constipated ..............AH :opps: contemplating things an it hit me :hun: every motorcycle safety class I've been to (2) wheels they told us to ride either right or left of center. this was to not get oil on our tires. So on our spyders we can't ride that way so does it matter what tire you use! Just my thoughts one morning :rolleyes:

Dan_Ashley
05-03-2014, 08:21 PM
It is obviously your choice.

motorcycle tires are softer rubber. So they stick to the road better and give you a bigger contact patch. The Spyder is a very light vehicle at less than 1,000 pounds. Stickier and larger contact patch are good things--especially with wet pavement or emergency situations. However since motorcycle tires are softer and stickier they wear out faster.

As as for me, I err on the side of reducing my risks. So, I use motorcycle tires on motorcycles--which the Spyder really is. I do not use car tires on my motorcycles, and I do not use motorcycle tires on my cars.

pellcitypete
05-03-2014, 08:38 PM
It is obviously your choice.

motorcycle tires are softer rubber. So they stick to the road better and give you a bigger contact patch. The Spyder is a very light vehicle at less than 1,000 pounds. Stickier and larger contact patch are good things--especially with wet pavement or emergency situations. However since motorcycle tires are softer and stickier they wear out faster.

As as for me, I err on the side of reducing my risks. So, I use motorcycle tires on motorcycles--which the Spyder really is. I do not use car tires on my motorcycles, and I do not use motorcycle tires on my cars. Well put But the car tire is as wide as the motorcycle tire an in my case wet roads = less grip motorcycle tires DO GIVE A BIT BETTER grip the main thing is what you like period oily tires of any kind = LESS GRIP THAT WAS WHAT I WAS trying to say.

Dan_Ashley
05-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Well put But the car tire is as wide as the motorcycle tire an in my case wet roads = less grip motorcycle tires DO GIVE A BIT BETTER grip the main thing is what you like period oily tires of any kind = LESS GRIP THAT WAS WHAT I WAS trying to say.
Could you kindly put in some periods and commas? I do not understand what you are attempting to say. I believe that some punctuation would assist me in understanding you.

Chupaca
05-04-2014, 12:02 AM
with a roadster you have to learn to to strattle to the right or left. This helps avoid the oil slick which only lasts till the rain washes it away. But mainly you don't hit object dead on with the back tire...so my wife says...!!:shemademe_smilie:

Bob Denman
05-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Pete,
We obviously can't ride the Spyder, the same way that we herded our "tipovers" down the road... :D
Avoiding the "Grease Patch", isn't as important; but I still try to keep on just to the inside of a front tire. That usually keeps the rear tire out of it!
That slo gives me a reason to move around in the lane, and make myself more visitble to the other traffic.
Car tires, versus bike tires: if your dealer will mount them; it's completely your call! :thumbup:
I used car tires out back, but stayed with Kendas up front... they did a decent job, and I had over 17,000 miles on them.

By the way...
Maybe this'll help with the OTHER problem... :yikes:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/04/constipation-vibrating-capsule/8513473/

Highwayman2013
05-04-2014, 11:15 AM
I just put a car tire on the rear of our RT. 205-60-15 Michelin Primacy. My wife and I can report that it feels fine and rides a little softer, plus the speedo is within 1 mph of the GPS now. No nanny issues either. Just hope this tire lasts longer than 8,700 miles. You could also check out the tires Rolo is selling.:)

Ride Master
05-04-2014, 01:35 PM
I've had car tires on the front for a couple of years and found they improve handling and stability. I would not go back.

tigerdr
05-04-2014, 02:15 PM
I've had car tires on the front for a couple of years and found they improve handling and stability. I would not go back.

Same for me. I will never go back to kenda tires.

DLewis
05-04-2014, 10:07 PM
No more Kenda's for me either, Kuhmo on the rear. :yes:

jcthorne
05-05-2014, 07:04 AM
I would really like to find a stiffer sidewall sticky tire for the front on 13s and newer using the 15" wheels. I am really not a fan of the soft sidewall kendas for cornering stability.

Those Yokohamas look interesting if they had a 15 that would work.

sassoman
05-05-2014, 07:20 AM
I rode a Honda VTX 1800 for over 30,000 miles with a car tire on the back.I had a blow out with a bike tire while pulling my Aspen camper and with no bike dealerships within a 100 miles.I went to Walmart and bought a tire.They would not mount it for me so I mounted it myself in the parking lot. I thought I would get home and change it out ,but the more I rode it the better I liked it. I rode the mountains and drug the floorboards in the rain .It stopped quicker and did some really cool burnouts. When my tires wear out on my 14 RT .I will probably go with car tires on it. My VTX used to get 6 to 7,000 miles on a rear tire no matter what brand I tried. That $69.00 car radial with balance beads still looked good after 30,000 miles.

Bob Denman
05-05-2014, 07:35 AM
I would really like to find a stiffer sidewall sticky tire for the front on 13s and newer using the 15" wheels. I am really not a fan of the soft sidewall kendas for cornering stability.

We've heard some reports that the Federals are pretty "sticky". :thumbup:
http://www.federaltire.com/en/products_detail.php?class=UHP&products_detail_sn=7

jcthorne
05-05-2014, 08:17 AM
http://www.federaltire.com/en/products_detail.php?class=UHP&products_detail_sn=7

Anyone running these and can report back? They look interesting.

Ronbo
05-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Anyone heard anything the new new arachnid tires.
Ron

pellcitypete
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Could you kindly put in some periods and commas? I do not understand what you are attempting to say. I believe that some punctuation would assist me in understanding you.
:hun: SORRY I'M NOT A English PROFESSER
:opps:

Bob Denman
05-06-2014, 12:50 PM

One of our members is running them... He loved them!
I'mjust not coming up with a name... :opps:

Look in the tire threads over the past Month; it's been pretty recent! :thumbup:

Maybe it was Guzzi??? :dontknow:

pellcitypete
05-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I have the original front tires on my spyder.... They have 15.000 miles on them, and still look new! Probably will go back original. Is this better?:thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Hi Pete!
If you've been having good luck with the originals; why not stick with them? :thumbup:
I liked them on my bike... :D
Sometimes; folks have trouble with a set of tires that have the inner belts separating. :shocked: That causes all sorts of ride and handling issues. That's when they start looking to the aftermarket! ;)

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-10-2014, 06:40 AM
http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Spyder1374/i-fNwnC8t/0/L/P1000369-L.jpg

http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Spyder1374/i-zqdk79m/0/L/P1000368-L.jpg

..OMG , I've been talking about these tires for months and you have kindly posted pics which I am unable to do........PS The 185/55 14 for the front actually has the largest footprint of " ANY " tire available for the 08 to 13 Spyders and they are V rated..........Thanks again

pellcitypete
05-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi Pete!
If you've been having good luck with the originals; why not stick with them? :thumbup:
I liked them on my bike... :D
Sometimes; folks have trouble with a set of tires that have the inner belts separating. :shocked: That causes all sorts of ride and handling issues. That's when they start looking to the aftermarket! ;) I am have a great time with my originals on the front the car tire on back is working good :thumbup: I am waiting to see how many miles I get with the car tire (13,000) with original)
:coffee::clap:

librathe13th
09-05-2014, 10:33 PM
..OMG , I've been talking about these tires for months and you have kindly posted pics which I am unable to do........PS The 185/55 14 for the front actually has the largest footprint of " ANY " tire available for the 08 to 13 Spyders and they are V rated..........Thanks again
So this tire will fit a 12rss front rim definaltey ?

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-05-2014, 11:05 PM
So this tire will fit a 12rss front rim definaltey ?
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:.......... Fit the RIM ....Yes ......Squeeze it inside the fender ,,,maybe ?????........OK , I have the the same size 185/55 toyo proxces T1r tire on my 2014 RT.....and yes that's a 15 inch RIM..............But that really doesn't matter here , it's the 185/55 part that does......I have the BASIC model which has the OLD style fenders and other than putting two thick washers under the front fender brackets ( where it attaches to the hub ) these are the largest tires that will fit.......I don't know what style fenders you have ??????......Mikeguyver.........................PS , I don't think the Toyo's come in a 14 inch , and that's too BAD because they stick like glue and only cost $ 57 + shipping from the Tire Rack

flaggerphil
09-05-2014, 11:14 PM

These tires will fit RTs? Do they hold up well?

8 legs nz
09-06-2014, 03:18 AM

Ok I am looking to replace my front whells but thay are 165/65/R14 your new one are 55 dose this make the VSS put you into limp mode or not sine thay are not the same size if it dose not then there are some better tires to look at here.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-06-2014, 07:12 AM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:....To 8 legs NZ......They will not bother the NANNY.........The circumference is very close to that of the OEM Kenda...............and the speedo is from the rear wheel anyway ...................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-06-2014, 08:20 AM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:....To 8 legs NZ......They will not bother the NANNY.........The circumference is very close to that of the OEM Kenda...............and the speedo is from the rear wheel anyway ...................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

that is a huge difference in rolling circumference, the o.d. on the 65 series is 22.44" while the 55 series is 21.15". that makes
well over a 5% varience. with that big of a difference there will probably be a handling difference & it will probably affect the
abs braking system.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-06-2014, 08:35 AM
that is a huge difference in rolling circumference, the o.d. on the 65 series is 22.44" while the 55 series is 21.15". that makes
well over a 5% varience. with that big of a difference there will probably be a handling difference & it will probably affect the
abs braking system.
:gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah:.........IF YOU HAD READ MY ENTIRE ORIGINAL POST ( see # 24 ) ON THIS ISSUE .........I HAVE THIS SIZE TIRE ON MY SPYDER ....IT DOESN'T EFFECT ANYTHING .......................PERIOD ..............Mikeguyver :thumbup:.....PS....circumference and O.D. are not the same ........:thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Approximately a 6% difference... :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Approximately a 6% difference... :dontknow:
72.25 INCHES vs 71 inches = 6 % ........I was never good in math but I don't think this is correct.....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

wyliec
09-06-2014, 05:24 PM
72.25 INCHES vs 71 inches = 6 % ........I was never good in math but I don't think this is correct.....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Going from 72.25 to 71 is a 1.73% drop. Going the other way from 71 to 72.25 is a 1.76% increase.

8 legs nz
09-06-2014, 07:14 PM
May be I will have to change all Three tires to the 55 size so ABS will be ok ?? may be :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-06-2014, 07:50 PM
May be I will have to change all Three tires to the 55 size so ABS will be ok ?? may be :dontknow:
:gaah::gaah::gaah:......NZ, you really,really,really need to follow Spyderlovers a little more frequently......This topic has been discussed about a skakillion times and very recently.................., The front and rear tires do not have to match in size....not width, not circumference, not aspect ratio, they only have to come close to the OEM tire size..............I hope this clears this up for you......................:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-06-2014, 08:20 PM

:yes::yes::yes:.....This may be what you are looking for ........Yokohama doesn't , however Toyo does ...Proxces T 1 r , 185/55-15 , they are V rated, excellent wet / dry, 280 UTOQ and stick like glue, this is most likely the absolutely widest tire you can fit on a 14 RT......I have them ....But I also have the old style fenders and it's a tight fit .....not because of the plastic, but because of the front fender bracket.......How the extended plastic on the inside of the newer fenders would come into play I can't say.............Mikeguyver ....................I paid $ 57 + shipping @ TIRERACK .....go look at them they are sweet.

8 legs nz
09-07-2014, 03:45 AM
:gaah::gaah::gaah:......NZ, you really,really,really need to follow Spyderlovers a little more frequently......This topic has been discussed about a skakillion times and very recently.................., The front and rear tires do not have to match in size....not width, not circumference, not aspect ratio, they only have to come close to the OEM tire size..............I hope this clears this up for you......................:thumbup:

Are you going to be like this say two weeks down the track when some one ask the same thing skakillion times I don't spend that long on here ever day buy the looks of 3500 posts that you have you spend some time fine but you don't have to be like MAN ok
all site's like this are people helping riders is there a discussed folder that I can goto to see all the past , I have not found one yet :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie:

8 legs nz
09-07-2014, 03:49 AM
How close in size can I go then

jcthorne
09-07-2014, 06:17 AM
:yes::yes::yes:.....This may be what you are looking for ........Yokohama doesn't , however Toyo does ...Proxces T 1 r , 185/55-15 , they are V rated, excellent wet / dry, 280 UTOQ and stick like glue, this is most likely the absolutely widest tire you can fit on a 14 RT......I have them ....But I also have the old style fenders and it's a tight fit .....not because of the plastic, but because of the front fender bracket.......How the extended plastic on the inside of the newer fenders would come into play I can't say.............Mikeguyver ....................I paid $ 57 + shipping @ TIRERACK .....go look at them they are sweet.

Thanks, those look exactly like what I would want, not sure on the fit with the newer style fenders that hug the tire pretty close. Another rider here in Houston bought 185s and had to do a bunch of work to move the fender, and it does not look great, but they were not THOSE Toyo tires. Maybe I'll call around and see if there are some locally. i could buy and mount one and try it. But the added width is doubtful with the newer fenders.

DragonSpyder
09-07-2014, 07:49 AM

The Toyo was my favorite by a large margin. I tried the Kuhmo but not nearly as good of a ride as the Toyo and it weighs more...

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Are you going to be like this say two weeks down the track when some one ask the same thing skakillion times I don't spend that long on here ever day buy the looks of 3500 posts that you have you spend some time fine but you don't have to be like MAN ok
all site's like this are people helping riders is there a discussed folder that I can goto to see all the past , I have not found one yet :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie:
........................NZ.....In the upper right hand corner , when you open any page you will see a large white line ....under it it will say " advanced search " type in " what you are looking for hit enter and possibilities will show up..........scan them for what applies best to you ........​On your second ? .....TIRERACK.COM is an excellent resource for tire comparisons as to sizes.......BECAUSE.....not all 225/50-15 tires are exactly the same ...........all size tires vary somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer .......the Tire Rack will give you the info of that exact tire you are looking at.................and the circumference of the TIRE is what the " NANNY " is going to recognize......annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there is only so much that you will be able to DEVIATE in any case .............As long as you stick with STOCK size RIMS ( diameter & width ) .......your concerns are with fender and fender bracket clearance....................IMHO ..I don't think there is any size tire that will fit the OEM rims that will upset the " NANNY " ....................................I sincerely hope this has helped you in your quest for answers ......Mikeguyver :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Thanks, those look exactly like what I would want, not sure on the fit with the newer style fenders that hug the tire pretty close. Another rider here in Houston bought 185s and had to do a bunch of work to move the fender, and it does not look great, but they were not THOSE Toyo tires. Maybe I'll call around and see if there are some locally. i could buy and mount one and try it. But the added width is doubtful with the newer fenders.
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:.........I'm really squeezed for time right now ( Spyderquest in 3 days ), but if you can wait a couple of weeks I'll try and mount my Toyo's onto my GF's RTS ( with the tight fenders ).........The clearances arn't the real issue with the tire change ....the problem is the design of the new wheels .....because of the tight spoke pattern you cannot angle the wheel to get it off ....it hits the Brembo calipers......so you have to loosen all four fender bracket arm bolts almost completely to move the fender so you can get the tire off ...........it's very time consuming ...especially if it's four wheels ........let me know ......Mike .....................and the black wheels look great on my white RT :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

KX5062
09-07-2014, 10:38 AM

ABS will be fine. It doesn't care what size the tire is, just the rotational movement. Not commenting on the nanny, just the ABS. :thumbup:

OldCowboy
09-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Anyone heard anything the new new arachnid tires.
Ron

Lamont put one on his Spyder and after a short time determined it was not acceptable for Spyders. Lamonster Garage will not mount them and Pit Bull Powersports will not sell them.

8 legs nz
09-08-2014, 02:51 AM
........................NZ.....In the upper right hand corner , when you open any page you will see a large white line ....under it it will say " advanced search " type in " what you are looking for hit enter and possibilities will show up..........scan them for what applies best to you ........​On your second ? .....TIRERACK.COM is an excellent resource for tire comparisons as to sizes.......BECAUSE.....not all 225/50-15 tires are exactly the same ...........all size tires vary somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer .......the Tire Rack will give you the info of that exact tire you are looking at.................and the circumference of the TIRE is what the " NANNY " is going to recognize......annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there is only so much that you will be able to DEVIATE in any case .............As long as you stick with STOCK size RIMS ( diameter & width ) .......your concerns are with fender and fender bracket clearance....................IMHO ..I don't think there is any size tire that will fit the OEM rims that will upset the " NANNY " ....................................I sincerely hope this has helped you in your quest for answers ......Mikeguyver :thumbup:

A Big Thank you for that Mikeguvver. :clap:

spyderyderjim
09-08-2014, 11:28 AM

I have a couple thousand miles on 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 front Federal 165-55-15 tires with the stiffer sidewall 75 rating.
The front tires stick well in high speed corners, sharp corners & in light rain in mountains of Arizona I ride!!
Federal tires eliminated the constant vibration of stock junk Kenda tires.
http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/allbrands.html

With rear Kumho AST 225-50-15 tire with 91 rating sidewall RT feels on rails in corners!!
These 4 ply rated tires are what should come stock on new Spyders from BRP!!!
Enjoy the ryde.
Jim

John Easydoesit
09-08-2014, 01:50 PM
What brand and size car tires did you use?

Bob Denman
09-08-2014, 02:47 PM
I was looking at his numbers for the diameter, rather than your's for circumference.
And that IS a correct percentage for his... :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-08-2014, 03:50 PM
I was looking at his numbers for the diameter, rather than your's for circumference.
And that IS a correct percentage for his... :D
:gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah:.....Bob if I've this once I've said this a thousand times ....DIAMETER is almost meaningless as a measurement for accurate TIRE SIZE ...this is why I only use CIRCUMFERENCE

Bob Denman
09-08-2014, 05:37 PM
:crackpipe:
Why??
The two measurements are completely and inextricably entwined... :dontknow:
Change one, and other other one changes by the exact same percentage; every time! nojoke

Just for fun: give me the exact tire measurements that we're discussing, I'll punch them into the tire size comparison website... and then post the results! :2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-08-2014, 09:56 PM
:crackpipe:
Why??
The two measurements are completely and inextricably entwined... :dontknow:
Change one, and other other one changes by the exact same percentage; every time! nojoke

Just for fun: give me the exact tire measurements that we're discussing, I'll punch them into the tire size comparison website... and then post the results! :2thumbs:
:gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah:​.......Robert , I can absolutely GUARANTEE you this .....(.As I told NZ earlier ) ......The same tire size made by 20 different companies are going to have ....20....different circumferences .....but exactly the same DIAMETER ............this is why ...the diameter is almost meaningless ........................annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the tire size comparison chart is a Mathematical formula .........and does not take into account the individual molds that each company uses for their Tires....................Do you think the GE 21 cu.ft refrigerator is the exact same size as a 21 cu.ft. Kenmore ????? or 21 cu.ft. Amana ?????? or 21 cu.ft. Fridigaire ??????..................because if you do I have a Bridge I want to sell you :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:............ ................................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-09-2014, 07:03 AM
So what you're saying; is that you DON'T have tire sizes to compare... :D
How do we know, that your yardstick; is any more, or less accurate? :dontknow:

You've also forgotten about how tire wear affects the overall diameter (or circumference!) of a tire...

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-09-2014, 07:22 AM

no they don't have to match but the fronts should always be in the same proportions to the rear no matter what you change them too.

Highwayman2013
09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
All I know is that I put a 215/60/15 on the rear with stock front tires and the spyder handles great and the speedo is almost right on the GPS.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-09-2014, 07:38 AM
So what you're saying; is that you DON'T have tire sizes to compare... :D
How do we know, that your yardstick; is any more, or less accurate? :dontknow:

You've also forgotten about how tire wear affects the overall diameter (or circumference!) of a tire...
:yikes:......​And your favorite Mathematical Chart does account for that :hun: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:...............​PS Tire manufacturers don't make " USED " , "WORN " tires ........................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Since Mike refused to play...
Here's what I found out. :D
It would appear that the 215/55-15 size is a bit closer to the original 225/50-15... :thumbup:
A bit over 5%, versus about 1.5%