PDA

View Full Version : Flat tire ?

Fabricater
05-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Has anyone had a flat tire at speed? Did it end well?I have had a flat tire on the goldwing,but the low tire indicated came on and I was able to get off the road before it lost all the air.

Silvervette05
05-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I had a rear tire blow and I mean blow out on my HD at speed (60) mph it was a wild ride ride but ended safely :thumbup: That was about 5 yesrs ago

jerpinoy
05-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Don't panic and just coast down pull over in a safe place.

Flash Gordon
05-03-2014, 08:19 PM
I picked up a screw in the front tire of my Harley about 3 years ago. It was a tube tire, but I was only going about 55 MPH at the time and the handle bars started shaking, I was able to bring it down slowly and pull off the road. It was very hard to ride with the tire completely flat, but was able to do that to get to a driveway. Waited for the wrecker to come and haul it to a local dealership. Not something I want to go through again. Glad I have three wheels now and they are all tubeless, which is better than a tubed tire.

redlightron
05-03-2014, 09:27 PM
I had a right front blow out at 60 MPH and had a 1 sidewall cut from a rock. Spyder went straight down the road and didn't move left or right and I took the only wide spot I could, but I think I could have just taken my hands off the bars and it would have done the same. That is what it is designed to do.:clap:

MouthPiece
05-03-2014, 09:34 PM
I had a right front blow out at 60 MPH and had a 1 sidewall cut from a rock. Spyder went straight down the road and didn't move left or right and I took the only wide spot I could, but I think I could have just taken my hands off the bars and it would have done the same. That is what it is designed to do.:clap:

I asked this same question about four years ago. I never got a good response. All dealt with two wheels which although valuable, not really relevent to the question asked. Thank you for providing this info.

Chris

bruiser
05-03-2014, 09:41 PM
I had a rear tire go at about 50. It went down slow enough I could feel it. Had to go about 3/10 mile to a driveway. It wasn't easy. Back end was really squirrley.

Chupaca
05-04-2014, 12:15 AM
but know those that have. All ended well but drivers a bit shaken. All the safety features kicked in and brought them to a safe stop. Continuing on the flat not a good idea unless absolutely necessary...you have the DPS, VSS and ABS to help you...:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-10-2014, 07:47 AM
I think this is just another reason to switch to CAR tires ........they usually have 4 plys and can support 3 to 4 times the weight than the KENDA'S ......at the DRAG RACES AT Spyderfest I was running 14.5 lbs on the rear tire ( PS I won a lot :clap:)........Mike :thumbup:

MMcc
05-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Had the rear tire pick up a nail while riding. It was raining so that is why I thought the weird feeling in the rear end was due to. Pulled under a bank canopy to check things out Late Saturday night so nothing open. I was about 20 miles from home and it must have been a slow leak. Used the inflator and went about 10 miles, stopped and added more air and made it home. Last few miles did not go above 30mph but spyder did well. Of course tire was now distroyed so a new one was ordered, this was on OEM with 9000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sddinnh
05-10-2014, 03:37 PM
If you're going to a car tire, why not a "run flat" on the rear. I think the sidewalls would be too stiff for the front, but I know the "wing" guys run them on the backs of wings.

DrewNJ
05-10-2014, 05:58 PM
If you're going to a car tire, why not a "run flat" on the rear. I think the sidewalls would be too stiff for the front, but I know the "wing" guys run them on the backs of wings.

Not a bad idea. However, I don't think I have ever seen one in the sizes we run.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
05-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Do run-flats have a different type of bead? Do they need a different type of wheel? :dontknow:
(NO experience with them... :opps:)

DrewNJ
05-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Do run-flats have a different type of bead? Do they need a different type of wheel? :dontknow:
(NO experience with them... :opps:)

No and no.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk