PDA

View Full Version : I am new with ???

Fabricater
05-01-2014, 06:00 PM
I am new here and have some ?I ride a goldwing and am having some problems with the disk in my neck.Surgery most likely soon.I am loosing the strength in my left arm so considering going to 3 wheels at a much younger age than I had planed.I have a aspen sentry camper that I want to pull with a spyder if I go to 3 wheels.Do they have plenty of power to do this?Will I have to downshift on hills to have enough power?Will I be able to hold my speed on hills?I normally run 5 over.I have had a goldwing trike in the past,so I know 3 wheels are different than 2.I also know that 2 wheels up front will be different than 2 wheels in the back.Do you think I will be happy pulling with the smaller engine ? Or should I go to the new 3 cylinder?What kind of fuel mileage can I expect pulling the trailer?I also messed up when I regerstered ,and would like my User name to be changed to fabricater.If someone could help me with that,that would be great.Thanks Fab.

Bob Denman
05-01-2014, 06:20 PM
:welcome:
The Spyders have PLENTY of power to pull your camper... The 1330s are even better suited for that purpose, than the 998s. As such; consider buying a 2014 bike! nojoke
The handling is a lot different than a conventional trike. If you tend to push it; they certainly hold a line better in the turns... We've got a couple of folks in here who own Honda Trikes: SteveMac, and BigRed1... (There are others; it's the best my feeble brain could spit out on a moment's notice!)
They'd be the best folks with which to discuss the similarities, and the differences.
So; Welcome aboard,; fasten your seatbelts... The show's about to start!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUclxp7FxHI

jScotD
05-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Go with the 2014 for the bigger engine and more oooomph..

bamaspyder1
05-01-2014, 06:24 PM
I see no problems with anything you asked you'll do fine but go with the Ace. I'm 53 Saturday and health made me stop riding 3 years ago but I've rode Harley's over 25 years and did not like there trike and the Spyder ST-S 13 got me back in the wind..... now fixing to turn 10,000 happy miles in 10 months and I pull a large trailer 9' in total length and my wife loves to pack lol never know it's back there... Enjoy the ride if you go the Spyder way..

Chupaca
05-01-2014, 07:25 PM
they got you covered above. Once your ready and get a roadster your going to wonder why you waited. Many with the belief that these are for the old and feeble are singing a different toon today. Hope the surgery is a success and your ryding soon...!! :ohyea:

ARtraveler
05-01-2014, 07:29 PM
:welcome: Looks like the previous posters have your questions pretty well covered. :thumbup:

Fabricater
05-01-2014, 07:29 PM
My wife packs heavy as well.I figure the camper is 500 lbs when loaded.Thanks for the replies.I will be 49 in July.I have 3 bad disk in my neck,spinal narrowing pushing on nerves,spurs also pushing on nerves.and a lot of ? to be answered before surgery .At this point the spyder is what I am most interested in.I may ride one Saturday .

Topshotta
05-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Not sure how old you are but in my 30s, with no limitation I love my spyder. I still have a 2 wheel but rarely ride it because the spyder is more fun :yes:

Go for it

Silvervette05
05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
The 2012 plenty of power, it will get up and go when you tell it to :thumbup: see the beauty below ;)

PrairieSpyder
05-01-2014, 08:28 PM

Mike X
05-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Hi Fab ,
i too came to three wheels rather earlier than I intended ( bike crash ) but glad I did .
love my Spyder :thumbup:

Purple Guy
05-01-2014, 09:22 PM
You can PM Lamonster about your name change.
I know he's very busy at Spyderfest right now but if you contact him sometime next week I'm sure he help you out.

Dan_Ashley
05-01-2014, 10:34 PM
I decided on 3 wheels because they looked like fun. I am glad I did. I enjoy it more than I thought I would have. The difference between 2 wheels and 3 wheels is significant. They are different, no doubt about it. The three wheels in my opinion is a lot more fun. I taught myself how to lean on the spyder, even though the spyder itself does not lean. Now I can keep up with most sport bike riders in the mountain twisties. However, I rarely push it like that. I like the fun of it. It is in my opinion a better ride than a two wheeler, it has as much oomph as you could want, and it is just all around cool.

I don't have any health problems at all; I am blessed by God I guess. I just like it. Some of the guys in my SRA club have knee problems, hip problems, and back problems. They all seem to be able to ride just fine. One guy has a shoulder problem and he goes slower on the twisties, more like a heavy car. But, hey, he can still ride.

When you ride it, just remember that this is not a two wheeler. It is different. To say it is better is to be dismissive of two wheeler riders, that would be unfair. To say that two wheelers are better is equally wrong. It is different. I love it. I am sure you will too.

Bob Denman
05-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Good Luck with the impending surgery; heal quickly and completely!! :thumbup: