PDA

View Full Version : Today's Ryde OH NO!

Dan_Ashley
04-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Today my friend and I left the local gas station with an intent to ride from Redlands, California, through the farmland and foothills to Temecula--about 1 1/2 hors or so, then have lunch at a bikers joint in Old Town Temecula, then buzz home on the freeway. A planned trip of about 150 miles or so...

We left the gas station at 9:30 am and headed through the canyon towards the foothills. After riding about 30 minutes or so we encountered wind. I mean A LOT OF WIND. We soldiered on and turned South towards a small town named San Jacinto...then the wind kicked into high gear. It was so windy that trees were breaking. The dust blowing across the street was so thick that you couldn't see more than 20 feet ahead. We passed one telephone pole and FOUR cars were wrapped around it.

Wow. Windy is not the word. WIND,

We turned around and a little up the road was an old farm house. We stopped at the farm house. It was windy, but at least the dust wasn't blowing. We knocked on the door and a toothless old woman came to the door. Upon asking if we could hang out on her porch for a little while--until the wind died down a little bit, she very graciously said, "Of course." She then went back into her house, returning a few minutes later with a bottle of water for each of us. What a gracious and wonderful lady!

We sat on the edge of her porch to discuss the wind and started enjoying the water. I noticed some ants. "What color are those ants?"
"Are they black ants?"
"NO! RED!"
I only got bit a few times on my ankle. We jumped up and grabbed our gear and found a place a few feet away with no ants. A few minutes later the lady of the house came out to ask us how we were doing. This gorgeous woman then gave us directions to a diner about a mike away. The more we interacted with the lady, the more beautiful she became. What a nice soul!

Back on our Spyders we rode --and red ants wee INSIDE MY HELMET! Slap! Slap! Cuss! They turned into dead ants.

Finally we saw the restaurant on the left and pulled into the parking lot--two spaces right in front! We opened the door to the little restaurant and saw wind blown leaves all over the floor inside. Several patrons teased us for being crazy motorcycle riders. We all laughed.

The waitress was friendly, kind, and helpful. We had lunch...note that we rode less than 35 miles, but it had taken us almost 2 1/2 hours. One of the local police officers came in covered in dust. He teased us for being on motorcycles on such a weather beaten day.

The owner of the restaurant told us that we could leave our Spyders parked in front of his diner until we could get a ride, or a tow, or whatever. The waitress got a 50% tip.

One of my friend's neighbors came and rescued us, picked us up and drove us to my house where I got my trailer. We returned to the restaurant and retrieved my friend's Spyder. After taking it home, we went back and got my Spyder.

Finally finished our little affair by 5:30 PM. I will wash and wax the Spyder tomorrow...it has never been this dirty before.

SNOOPY
04-30-2014, 08:48 PM
I want some of what you're smoking. roflmao

mastertek2000
04-30-2014, 08:49 PM
WOW that was an adventure

bruiser
04-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Saw on the news this evening how windy it is out there.

Dan_Ashley
04-30-2014, 09:23 PM
I want some of what you're smoking. roflmao
Too windy to smoke. Still chewing on sand though.

bruiser
04-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Sand manages to get into everything. :yikes:

By the way. Watch those fire ant bites. I got bit a few years back and some of the bites got infected.

billrob71
04-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a crazy event, but all and all sounded like you had some good riding :thumbup:

Were stuck here on the east coast with a 2 day monsoon. Going into riding with draw :gaah:

dadof4
04-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Back home safe and sound and with a great story.

harrypottar
04-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Wow, at least you're home, sounded like one of those movies where the farmers selling special meat pies to the local Resturant and her barn is full of motorcycles from wayward travelers.....

harry

Chupaca
04-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Windy you say..?? Down here they closed down the freeways to all high profile vehicles after some 18 wheelers were blown over. They clocks some gusts at 101 mph. I sure am glad you were able to get out of it and finally home safely. Strangely the coast got hammered and the mountains got wind blown but here in the middle it was dead still and over a 100*...sounded like a great trip hope you do finally get to do it...be safe..!! :thumbup::ohyea:

Dan_Ashley
04-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Windy you say..?? Down here they closed down the freeways to all high profile vehicles after some 18 wheelers were blown over. They clocks some gusts at 101 mph. I sure am glad you were able to get out of it and finally home safely. Strangely the coast got hammered and the mountains got wind blown but here in the middle it was dead still and over a 100*...sounded like a great trip hope you do finally get to do it...be safe..!! :thumbup::ohyea:
I hope so too.

But with a lot less "air flow."

SNOOPY
05-01-2014, 04:58 AM
Too windy to smoke. Still chewing on sand though.

Im still trying to figure out how much I believe and how much is just a story.

You lost me at the 4 cars wrapped around the telephone pole. Lol

Dan_Ashley
05-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Im still trying to figure out how much I believe and how much is just a story.

You lost me at the 4 cars wrapped around the telephone pole. Lolnewspaper reported winds in excess of 80 MPH. Maybe my friend will post some video, or pics he took. He is not a Spyderlovers guy, so he would have to join.

Bob Denman
05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
That sounds like some real weather! :yikes:
Keep your "Eyes on the skies"... :2thumbs:

finless
05-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Typical Santa Ana Winds this time of year out here. They come through that area you rode in and into Orange County through the 91 freeway pass. Yesterday here in east OC, they were blowing 40+ MPH with gusts higher! I commuted in that wind and like yours, my spyder is filthy!

Anyway, you have to watch for these wind predictions around this time every year. They do predict them pretty well! These were predicted since Sunday. Also watch fort them from October through Christmas.

Bob

ARtraveler
05-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Thank you Dan, for the great post. :thumbup::thumbup:

Blue Star
05-01-2014, 05:47 PM
newspaper reported winds in excess of 80 MPH. Maybe my friend will post some video, or pics he took. He is not a Spyderlovers guy, so he would have to join.

http://blog.pe.com/bob-pratte/2014/04/30/san-jacinto-valley-worst-wind-storm-ever/

Wind killed all of my wife's garden plants, or destroyed them. Even tore my flag pole out holder of the wall. I should have taken the flag inside, but did not. Glad you made it home safe, and hope Dee whops you one for even going out in that wind.

Dan_Ashley
05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
http://blog.pe.com/bob-pratte/2014/04/30/san-jacinto-valley-worst-wind-storm-ever/

Wind killed all of my wife's garden plants, or destroyed them. Even tore my flag pole out holder of the wall. I should have taken the flag inside, but did not. Glad you made it home safe, and hope Dee whops you one for even going out in that wind.
She said almost nothing. When talking on the phone to one of her girl friends she said, "Yeah, Dan did it again." In a real matter-of-fact style.

"AGAIN" --sheesh!

bill pitman
05-02-2014, 11:32 AM
waiting for a punch line !!

Bill

Dan_Ashley
05-02-2014, 11:33 AM
waiting for a punch line !!

Bill
Huh?

Dan_Ashley
05-02-2014, 06:05 PM
It took me 3 1/2 hours today to clean my Spyder. There was even dirt INSIDE my goggles!

Dat Guy
05-05-2014, 01:53 AM
I feel your pain. Living nearby I had my Spyder outdoors while at work and a sandstorm blew through. Sand and dirt was everywhere. While at the dealer a week ago getting my frunk fixed they had the body panels off and it looked like someone had thrown a bucket of sand inside the guts of the spyder, even after a few hundred miles of riding after the sandstorm. Ugh.

Dan_Ashley
05-05-2014, 11:10 AM
I feel your pain. Living nearby I had my Spyder outdoors while at work and a sandstorm blew through. Sand and dirt was everywhere. While at the dealer a week ago getting my frunk fixed they had the body panels off and it looked like someone had thrown a bucket of sand inside the guts of the spyder, even after a few hundred miles of riding after the sandstorm. Ugh.
It even had sand under the lip of the gas cap.

i re-waxed it after my 3 1/2 hour detail job the other day. It now looks ok. I still gotta go get a new air filter. Maybe I'll get it a grease job too. Does it have grease nibs?