PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Schedule and Oil Changes

NorCalBud
04-30-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm riding a '12 RTL SE5.
I've seen posts around stating something about there having been a Maintenance Schedule alteration regarding Oil Changes. Is there some "Official" place to find that? I've had my 600 done, but may be more than a little past 3k. My Owners Manual says 600 and 3k for oil changes...My dealer JUST quoted me $320 for the 3k service (I said it twice) and didn't mention anything about it being at any other mileage. He also says that they do have a kit for $80 with instructions, so I'll likely DIY...Is a torque wrench required? What I save in Labor I might have to spend in tools?

Also, there's talk about some sort of voucher for part replacement? I'm in CA and chatter says we don't get it for free. No biggie, but if it's FREE it's for ME!

Highwayman2013
04-30-2014, 03:56 PM
They came out with a longer trans filter and upped the interval to 4,600 miles. The longer filter and cover came in the oil change kit from BRP. Yes your dealer SHOULD know. You don't need a torque wrench but I use one just to be safe.

Chupaca
04-30-2014, 03:57 PM
you can find it on the brp site but your oil changes are at every 4,200 mile inervals. So if you changed your oil at 600 your next will be 4,800 miles give or take. Doing it yourself is quite easy. It is all in the manual and you can get a torque wrench at harbor freight for 10 bucks. Oil change kits online are about $56.00 with all you need included. Your manual also shows all that will be done at the schedueled maintenance many of which you can do yourself...:thumbup:

NorCalBud
04-30-2014, 05:10 PM
The BRP site says "Check your operator’s guide for the manufacturer recommended service intervals. You can also access digital versions of the operator’s guides." The Owners Guide for the '12 RT I just downloaded from the link on the same page says 5000km (3106.86 mi).
Please believe that I'm not trying to dispute the fact that it's been extended, lots of people are saying that it has, I'm just seeing different intervals posted.I would just be nice to see an official document stating what it is. I'm all about CYA! ;)

Bob Denman
04-30-2014, 05:17 PM
When did the TSB come out that offered the new parts that made this longer service interval possible? :dontknow:
And do we have a number for it?

schnauzermom
04-30-2014, 05:34 PM
The BRP site says "Check your operator’s guide for the manufacturer recommended service intervals. You can also access digital versions of the operator’s guides." The Owners Guide for the '12 RT I just downloaded from the link on the same page says 5000km (3106.86 mi).
Please believe that I'm not trying to dispute the fact that it's been extended, lots of people are saying that it has, I'm just seeing different intervals posted.I would just be nice to see an official document stating what it is. I'm all about CYA! ;)

4600.....have a 2011 RTS and my last service was at 4600. I talked to my service dealer making sure my next Svc is at 9200 just last week and he said yes, that was correct. I believe the new service schedule came out late summer or fall of 2012. :) I received a revised maintenance schedule booklet that was issued 2012.

billybovine
04-30-2014, 05:46 PM
The dealer was supposed to give each owner a booklet with the updated maintenance schedule. Inside there were instructions to take stickers that are in the booklet and stick them in certain locations in the owners manual. I don't remember exactly but something about referring to the booklet for new intervals. The instructions also stated to keep the booklet with the owners manual. It was not just oil change intervals that changed.

Why did you not get one from your dealer?
Can the dealer get you one?
I would have scanned mine for you but it went with my 09 when I traded it in.

If you want to know exactly what the new schedule says refer to the 2013 owners manual online. It is the updated schedule.

billybovine
04-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Here is a copy of maintenance schedule as taken from the 2013 RT owners manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zqe1BG3lbqeGd1Ym5IZjQwMEU/edit?usp=sharing

edmarino
04-30-2014, 06:21 PM
I have a 2013 RTL and use Spectro Full Syn oil and definitely will run until 4600 miles. Oil Filter kit from Bajaron is $26 with extended filter. I do my own. It is no big deal

NorCalBud
04-30-2014, 06:34 PM
So are we saying that since the Engine is the same in the '13 as in the '12 then the Maintenance Schedule applies to it as well?
As far as Oil kits go, if it's apples to apples, I'd much rather spend $26 with Bajaron than $80 at my dealer.nojoke

M109Dreamer
04-30-2014, 06:43 PM
So are we saying that since the Engine is the same in the '13 as in the '12 then the Maintenance Schedule applies to it as well?
As far as Oil kits go, if it's apples to apples, I'd much rather spend $26 with Bajaron than $80 at my dealer.nojoke

I agree, use Bajaron. But the cost of the kit from your dealer includes the oil. Bajarons kits are everything you need except the oil.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

billybovine
04-30-2014, 06:46 PM

yup!

finless
04-30-2014, 06:46 PM
This is the document I was supplied with for my 2011 updated maintenance schedule. It's a little different looking than what was posted above.
Bulletin # 2012-12

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BFwCzfMWZ8X2dVS0pDZU5WNGs/edit?usp=sharing

Bob

NorCalBud
04-30-2014, 06:55 PM
here's the rub...
May 28th, 2012 Subject:Information on Updated Maintenance
Schedule (Except Units Registered in
California)
In the coming weeks, BRP will be sending to
Canadian and US Can-Am Roadster Spyder cus-
tomers for all model years (except units registered
in California) an updated maintenance schedule
booklet to add to their operator’s guide.

I'm in California....

finless
05-01-2014, 08:25 AM
I never noticed the California thing and I am also in Ca.
I am using this schedule. My dealer is also had he done my 4600 mile service (I did it myself).

I wonder if they want Ca to stay on the old schedule or what the reason is?

Bob