PDA

View Full Version : hot tub advice.....

mowin
04-30-2014, 02:09 PM
On advice from my orthopedic, wife and I are thinking of getting a hot tub. I've never been in one before, so I have no clue what to look for as far as options, brands ect. I have read that 220v tubs are more efficient than the 110's. The tub will be going on a open deck, so one of my main questions for those of you in colder climates, just how expensive are these to run in the winter? Any advice or tips would be appreciated.....

Bob Denman
04-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't own one. but from what I've seen in the movies; they attract some very pretty topless women at times! :D :2thumbs:
Have fun shopping! :thumbup:

cuznjohn
04-30-2014, 02:26 PM
i have been looking at the portable tubs, i am thinking of putting one in my basement so i can go down and use it.

Vidman
04-30-2014, 02:31 PM
I have owned 2 hot tubs in the last 17 yrs. Both have been outside.

Sundance Spas is the one I went with both times. 220 volt is the ONLY way. Less expensive to run. Do not get sold on the Party Tub if it is for you and wife. Size adds to price.

Hot Springs is another popular make. In CT it is also a big seller.

Good Luck.

Frank G
04-30-2014, 02:43 PM
i have been looking at the portable tubs, i am thinking of putting one in my basement so i can go down and use it.

NO!!! to the basement, unless you install a De-Humidification system designed for use in a Hot Tub Room. Check out your options. Be careful with a Hot Tub salesman's recommendation.

Bob Denman
04-30-2014, 02:47 PM
:agree: If you don't take care of all of the "excess humidity"; you'll be growing mold in no time! :yikes:

Frank G
04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
We have a outdoor hot tub in northern Michigan, Great all year long. Best when it is snowing. A good properly insulated tub with cover will add to the Electric. Keep it out of the wind. Like any other toy, they are not cheep, but if it keeps arther at bay it will be worth it.

The one I like the best is the one built in a Pagoda, drop down sides for those really nasty days. Lock it up so all those long lost relatives don,t invite themselves over.

Good Luck

mowin
04-30-2014, 03:14 PM
I don't own one. but from what I've seen in the movies; they attract some very pretty topless women at times! :D :2thumbs:

Well that REALLY sounds great, but for some reason I dont think my wife would approve. :(

cuznjohn
04-30-2014, 03:31 PM
NO!!! to the basement, unless you install a De-Humidification system designed for use in a Hot Tub Room. Check out your options. Be careful with a Hot Tub salesman's recommendation.

never thought of that, thanks

chisel_maker
04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
On advice from my orthopedic, wife and I are thinking of getting a hot tub. I've never been in one before, so I have no clue what to look for as far as options, brands ect. I have read that 220v tubs are more efficient than the 110's. The tub will be going on a open deck, so one of my main questions for those of you in colder climates, just how expensive are these to run in the winter? Any advice or tips would be appreciated.....

220 Volts is better. Remember you will need a 220 volt 50 amp service for tub. Unless your handy with electrical you'll need an electrician. Also if your putting it on a deck make sure the deck can hold the weight. 1 US Gallon of water = approx. 8.35 lb.
A 500 gallon hot tub weighs over 4000 lbs.

Chupaca
04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
ours is attached to the pool and so far away am considering a portable close to the house. 87349 it's in the right hand corner under the orange/lemon tree. I only use it for the jets massage. It is hot enough here all the time...:roflblack:

jcthorne
04-30-2014, 03:52 PM
We have a Sundance also. Its now about 4 yrs old. Has always worked fine. Depending on size, you will have to go with 240v anyway. They also require a dedicated circuit with GFI protection so you have to get a circuit installed anyway.

While ours is 240V, we added a gas fired water heater long ago. Gas being much cheaper than electric in Houston. Electric was about $40 a month in the winter for the 4 person tub. Negligable since converted to gas. Gas is near free as we only use more than our minimum charge in Jan and Feb anyway, and then only barely.

mowin
04-30-2014, 04:40 PM
I have a friend of mine coming this weekend to wire up the 50 amp gfi. When I built the deck 3 yrs ago, I made sure it was hot tub friendly. We are looking at smaller tubs, 3-4 person. We like Saratoga Spas Adirondack series Champlain LE. Only holds 240 gal and has a smaller footprint. Going to all the local dealers this weekend.

Bob Denman
04-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Also if your putting it on a deck make sure the deck can hold the weight. 1 US Gallon of water = approx. 8.35 lb.
A 500 gallon hot tub weighs over 4000 lbs.
Are you figuring in the amount of "cold drinks" that the occupants will likely imbibe? :cheers:
(How much does a couple of six-packs, and a 750 ml bottle of wine weigh?)

cjackg
04-30-2014, 06:10 PM
We have owned a Sundance "Marin" hottub for several years and never have any problems with it at all. Wish you were closer, it is underutilized and could use a new home!

Vidman
04-30-2014, 06:13 PM
I neglected to add that our tubs have both been outside. Best in winter. Love it when it is snowing.

otter28169
04-30-2014, 07:09 PM
I would put the hot tub under some kind of roof. You will be truly amazed at the debris that can blow into a hot tub under an undersized roof.

Just sayin'...........

jwulf74
04-30-2014, 07:47 PM
We love our Caldera. Look into Silk Balance. It makes water maintenance easy.

mowin
04-30-2014, 08:15 PM
We love our Caldera. Look into Silk Balance. It makes water maintenance easy.

I will check that out. Been reading all I can about water maintenance and I'm getting more confused arter each article.

Flanker
05-01-2014, 09:37 AM

Should Bob's fearless prognostication of hedonistic hijinks come to pass..........................and your wife become aware of it..........................expect a SHARP drop in life expectancy!

ARtraveler
05-01-2014, 12:03 PM
RE: Hot tubs. They are wonderful. Install it outside where you can enjoy the scenery and the ambiance. Get the 220 volt kind.

We had ours on the patio here in Alaska. All that is needed is a good cover that folds back when the tub is in use. Never froze up. Cost to run about $30 extra per month. Very nice to sit out and watch the Northern Lights, or star shows. Today's tubs offer some real nice lighting. Don't have a hot tub at my current home--bought a Spyder instead. :roflblack:

Had a hot tub in the basement back in WI. Humidity is a problem so I do not recommend that.

PW2013STL
05-01-2014, 12:04 PM

:yikes:Now you got me thinking of getting one.

Bob Denman
05-01-2014, 12:09 PM
I tried to talk the Missus into getting me one for my Birthday a whole bunch of years' ago... :D
Her response isn't something that I discuss in Polite Company...:shocked:

ARtraveler
05-01-2014, 12:21 PM
I tried to talk the Missus into getting me one for my Birthday a whole bunch of years' ago... :D

You know what they say? "You meet the nicest people in a hot tub." :roflblack::roflblack:

jcthorne
05-01-2014, 12:22 PM

That's OK Bob. Most of us are not Polite.....:)

Bob Denman
05-01-2014, 12:28 PM
You know what they say? "You meet the nicest people in a hot tub." :roflblack::roflblack:
I thought that they were met at closing time... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ECZMvbLxg