PDA

View Full Version : Wheel adaptor converts 3 lug to a 5 lug

NorCalBud
04-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Does anybody know the skinny on these things?
Are they safe to use? Do they work? Are they good quality? Are they legal?
I LOVE the look of the wheels that came with my RTL, but these could really open up some new design features for me!
http://www.candscustom.com/custompage.asp?pg=can-am

mastertek2000
04-28-2014, 05:19 PM
the more you extend the wheel out the more load you put on your bearing i would no advise it just my 2 cents

Bob Denman
04-28-2014, 05:22 PM
yup! :agree:

Chupaca
04-28-2014, 08:31 PM
but besides the above mentioned your spacing the wheel out an need to adjust the fender.. Seems like a lot of work but if you go fenderless will work still adding a load to the berings...:dontknow:

SNOOPY
04-28-2014, 09:07 PM
the more you extend the wheel out the more load you put on your bearing i would no advise it just my 2 cents

:agree: Same as w/ cars, trucks, etc.

Craniac
04-28-2014, 10:15 PM
If you could find a rim with enough back spacing, you would not put any extra strain on the bearings. But the stock rims already have a lot of back space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
04-29-2014, 06:59 AM
When I was playing in the mud with horsepower; a lot of guys ran spacers on their ATVs...
We always talked about the extra load on the bearings; I never saw one fail... :shocked:
And those babies live a pretty tough life. I wonder if an upgrade to them, should be considered as part of the process?

SNOOPY
04-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Could just keep a closer check on the bearing in the future.

jcthorne
04-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Change in load on the bearings depends on the change in tire centerline, not just the spacer. Its also likely that the change in load on a vehicle as light as the Sypder would have an insignificant change in bearing life unless the change in tire centerline was significant, say several inches wider track.

These spacers are used for the 'wide tire' look on the spyders, usually accompanied by replacing the rear swing arm and wide rear tire. All run without fenders....Its a look. To each thier own I suppose.

NorCalBud
04-29-2014, 03:48 PM
I was just thinking that it would give me a lot more choices on what type of wheel I could use, but didn't really give much thought of it pushing out that much....Likely going to stick with the stock wheels and leave the experimentation to another guy. I got too much to live for!!!:D

Bob Denman
04-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Here's an idea...
Why not take a hub to your favorite machinist? See if he can build you, a five-lug copy? :2thumbs:

SNOOPY
04-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Here's an idea...
Why not take a hub to your favorite machinist? See if he can build you, a five-lug copy? :2thumbs:

Wow, you know stuff! Lol

Bob Denman
04-30-2014, 06:45 AM
No I don't :opps:; I just am very good at spending other peoples' money too! :D

Motorcycledave
04-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Hi Guys
Nothing new about wheel spacers, I have sold hundreds of them, if installed right they work fine
they are safe... you should get a wheel with the proper offset to the back so it will not rub or stick out
there is almost never any worry about bearings unless you go crazy and put 10 or 12 inch wide wheels on
I have been thinking of using them on mine and getting some American 200S or old style Craiger mags just for fun
Dave