PDA

View Full Version : E-ZPass: revisited

Bob Denman
04-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Well; I just got a packet in the mail with these E-ZPass doodads...
The Cages; I've got figured out: stick them up on the dash right where it makes it impossible to access the registration and inspection stickers...:D

But the RT... :dontknow:
I opened up the frunk, and found a flat wall behind the zipper that gives me battery access; Can it be read by the scanners through all of that cloth and plastic? It seems like a GREAT spot; it's protected, and out of the way!
Or is it just too good to be true? :shocked:

ARtraveler
04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
If its too good to be true...??

Let us know what you find out. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-28-2014, 01:26 PM
I don't want to find out the HARD way, that it couldn't be read... 87225 :yikes:

spyder3
04-28-2014, 01:50 PM
I have mine right on the frunk hood, inside. If your doesn't read where you want to put it, they just send you a notice and then you give them the account info. Thats what they do in NJ anyway....:dontknow:

daveinva
04-28-2014, 01:59 PM
We've got a few roads that use the E-Z Pass around these parts. The Dulles Toll Road can *usually* read my pass in the frunk, but the Dulles Greenway can't at all (and there are no speed lanes-- you have to stop and pay if it doesn't read). I've got a velcro spot underneath my Madstad mounting plate that I've used that works better, but the metal plate still blocks it from time to time.

I think the next spot for my pass is the back of my Ultimate Seat driver's backrest-- I bought the little zip-pocket when I got the seat, but never felt comfortable putting anything valuable in it. That's probably a perfect place for the pass.

(Obviously, doesn't help my RT brothers & sisters, but figured I'd share for the RS readers in the crowd!).

SNOOPY
04-28-2014, 02:27 PM
I have mine right on the frunk hood, inside. If your doesn't read where you want to put it, they just send you a notice and then you give them the account info. Thats what they do in NJ anyway....:dontknow:

Same here, on the inside of frunk lid and they have your plate if it doesn't read.

If your plate is in the system there shouldn't be any extra charge.

Bob Denman
04-28-2014, 02:29 PM
that was my first choice. :thumbup:
But the velcro wasn't holding when I dropped the lid, and I was concerned about artlcles in the Frunk knocking it loose! :yikes: I'll see if I can pop a picture of where i've hidden the darn thing...

SNOOPY
04-28-2014, 02:48 PM
You can get extra Velcro and make it stay on the lid.

Just thinking it would be out of your way there.:dontknow:

acinpcola
04-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Bob, do you have a dash pouch? I would think that a dash pouch would be ideal for placing the e-z-pass. I am thinking about a 3 compartment dash pouch to place my carry in while ryding.

Good Luck with your decision.. as always.. *Cognac Up.. :cheers:.. Drink*

oldguyinTX
04-28-2014, 03:09 PM
The Cages; I've got figured out: stick them up on the dash right where it makes it impossible to access the registration and inspection stickers...:D

I opened up the frunk, and found a flat wall behind the zipper that gives me battery access; Can it be read by the scanners through all of that cloth and plastic? It seems like a GREAT spot; it's protected, and out of the way!

Put it inside the lid of the frunk. Works Great the, & no worries about it getting stolen.87233

Topshotta
04-28-2014, 03:11 PM
But the velcro wasn't holding when I dorpped the lid, and I was concerned about artlcles in the Frunk knocking it loose! :yikes: I'll see if I can pop a picture of where i've hidden the darn thing...

Industrial strength Velcro should hold it in place.

Bob Denman
04-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Put it inside the lid of the frunk. Works Great the, & no worries about it getting stolen.87233
The picture says it all... Thanks! :thumbup:
I've currently got minebehind the zippered "Trap Door", that lets you get to the Battery. I THOUGHT that'd be a great place, since it can't get hit by anything that's in the frunk, and I seem to aways need just about every cubic inch of space that I can muster up!

Lin
04-28-2014, 04:15 PM
But the velcro wasn't holding when I dropped the lid, and I was concerned about artlcles in the Frunk knocking it loose! :yikes: I'll see if I can pop a picture of where I've hidden the darn thing...

The "velcro" that came with mine is a rigid plastic that requires a firm push to engage with it's mate. Also, it was mentioned to me to install so the label faced the rear of the bike, or in other words, the "velcro" side is towards the front.

Bob Denman
04-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Velcro side forward? nobody mentioned that; thanks! :thumbup:

Raknid
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM

Ours has been in same spot for over a year. Works great. Stock mounting Velcro in NJ is very aggressive and unit never has come loose slamming the trunk .

harrypottar
04-28-2014, 08:30 PM
I have mine in the frunk behind the frunk liner just above the manual and cd holder. Never had an issue with it reading. Not worried if it didn't read the odd time has they just read your plate and match up in the system anyway.

harry

Bob Denman
04-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Harry,
That exactly the location that I'm the most interested in...Thanks! :thumbup:

mastertek2000
04-29-2014, 07:25 AM
when pulling a trailer do you still go thru the ezypass fast lane ???

Vidman
04-29-2014, 07:53 AM
I have mine in the frunk behind the frunk liner just above the manual and cd holder. Never had an issue with it reading. Not worried if it didn't read the odd time has they just read your plate and match up in the system anyway.

harry

I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday. He puts it in the lower center of his w/s. He has had problems in the frunk when he has the luggage there.

oldguyinTX
04-29-2014, 12:41 PM

I did last summer on the Garden State Parkway in NJ (both directions) and at the Tappan Zee Bridge in NY. In NJ, the tolls are higher because they charge by the number of axles. Other states may do the same.

Vidman
04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I tried to add the Spyder. I put it as Other for Make and Other for Model. No Can Am listing.

Did ya'll do the same?

SNOOPY
04-29-2014, 02:08 PM
In our listings in Va. we have motorcycle.

Bob Denman
04-29-2014, 02:22 PM
I tried to add the Spyder. I put it as Other for Make and Other for Model. No Can Am listing.

Did ya'll do the same?

I had the same problem...
I think that I plugged in "Other", and then Can Am Spyder in the model field...

DrAwkward
04-29-2014, 03:13 PM
I just put my EZ Pass in my left vest pocket. It reads fine as I ride through. Never had an issue.
Doc

Bob Denman
04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
:opps: Too many jackets... :opps:
But that sure would be a nice solution! :2thumbs:

PaSpyderRyder
04-29-2014, 04:39 PM

That is the same place that I put mine from PA at...... Had it there on the 11 also, never had any issues with it being picked up at the booth.

Bob

Bob Denman
04-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Have you ever had trouble with cargo up front knocking it loose?
Or not being able to close the frunklid?? :yikes:

PaSpyderRyder
04-29-2014, 05:07 PM

Never Had any issues at all, The velcro that comes with it is the strong plastic kind, really holds good.

Bob

Bob Denman
04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks for this info! :2thumbs:

SNOOPY
04-29-2014, 07:09 PM

That is the same place that I put mine from PA at...... Had it there on the 11 also, never had any issues with it being picked up at the booth.

Bob

wow, that is twice as big as ours, maybe Bob needs a Va EZ Pass? :)

harrypottar
04-29-2014, 08:18 PM

I was told that I could drive through most tolls and they would just count the axels. The one exception I was warned about was New York, I was told I should stop and get ticket. They credit the ez pass read for the bike and charge for both at the other end. Just make sure you registered the trailer license plate with ez pass. Please note I could not register trailer on line I had to call for them to add to the system.

btw, never had an issue with the ez pass reading in the frunk behind the liner even with the frunk stuffed. Again not a huge worry has they scan your license plate anyway and match in the system. That's why you're not supposed to use the ez pass in an unregistered car.

its fun to mess with them anyway, ride through with the ez pass, stop at the service station and put the ez pass in the electrostatic bag it comes in and exit some time later.

Harry

mastertek2000
04-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Did you add it as a trailer ??

SNOOPY
04-29-2014, 08:37 PM
I was told that I could drive through most tolls and they would just count the axels. The one exception I was warned about was New York, I was told I should stop and get ticket. They credit the ez pass read for the bike and charge for both at the other end. Just make sure you registered the trailer license plate with ez pass. Please note I could not register trailer on line I had to call for them to add to the system.

btw, never had an issue with the ez pass reading in the frunk behind the liner even with the frunk stuffed. Again not a huge worry has they scan your license plate anyway and match in the system. That's why you're not supposed to use the ez pass in an unregistered car.

its fun to mess with them anyway, ride through with the ez pass, stop at the service station and put the ez pass in the electrostatic bag it comes in and exit some time later.

Harry

I always wondered if you blast through the cameras at 95 mph if they can pick it up? :yikes:

mastertek2000
04-29-2014, 08:45 PM
i know when i use to ride 2 wheels we would go thru in pairs never had a problem

harrypottar
04-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Did you add it as a trailer ??

I did add my trailer, but on the web site it would not let me save the plate type it would error. So I called them and had them add the trailer make model and plate etc .

harry

Bob Denman
04-30-2014, 07:14 AM
I always wondered if you blast through the cameras at 95 mph if they can pick it up? :yikes:

They frown on that sort of thing... :lecturef_smilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Qps3X9M8A

skippyy
06-25-2016, 11:55 PM
hi Bob I have a 2014 rts and what I did was to tape the unit to the top of the front frunk inside it woks great and very secure put it in a plastic baggy then taped it up...;)

ThreeWheels
06-26-2016, 06:06 AM

I put mine under the frunk lid also.
The Newburgh-Beacon bridge doesn't read it, and the Bear Mountain bridge is iffy.
I haven't had luggage knock it loose, however my RT is Timeless Black (the fastest color, proven beyond a doubt using quantum physics).
Sometimes, during the heat of the day in summer, the frunk gets hot enough that the stock adhesive on the mounting strips comes loose.
A little Gorilla Glue and I'm good to go.

Bob Denman
06-26-2016, 07:46 AM
Mine has been up in the nose of the bike (taped un place underneath the front document pouch.) It has always been read by the tollbooths.
It was suggested that I try the left rear document pouch, and I'm going to do just that! :thumbup:
(I've never been able to get them to stick to the Frunklid... :banghead:)

oldguyinTX
06-26-2016, 10:55 AM
When I got my Motorcycle EZPass (NY) in 2013, I was able to add the Spyder and trailer online with no problems. The Spyder is listed as "Initial Veteran Motorcycle" with the plate number and vehicle code 136. The system did not allow me to enter the make or model, so those are listed as "Other". The trailer is listed as just that, with the plate number and vehicle code 72, make "Other". and model "1 axle trailer. The big change now for motorcyclists is that in order to get a motorcycle specific EZPass (it is smaller that a regular EZPass and has an M on the back) you must either go to an EZPass center with your registration, or mail a copy of the registration to an EZPass center. The advantage of a motorcycle specific transponder is lower tolls. Trailers, I don't know how they are dealt with now as far as registration, but there is no EZPass for trailers. Tolls are higher when pulling the trailer, as the classification becomes 3 axle.

ThreeWheels
06-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Mine has been up in the nose of the bike (taped un place underneath the front document pouch.) It has always been read by the tollbooths.
It was suggested that I try the left rear document pouch, and I'm going to do just that! :thumbup:
(I've never been able to get them to stick to the Frunklid... :banghead:)

The document pouch sounds good/
As to the frunk lid, you need to make sure you clean off any release compound.

Bob Denman
06-26-2016, 01:26 PM
nojoke I even wiped it with MEK! :yikes:

(That stuff will peel the lipstick off of a Kardashian! :roflblack:)

rworell
06-27-2016, 07:22 AM
2011 RT Limited: What I mean is I usually hold it in the compartment under the handlebars. Then as I go through the toll I hold it in my hand. (PITA) so I tried like others and put it in the Frunk in multiple places. The reader just won't pick it up unless it's somewhat exposed. I don't want to Velcro it on my dash cause I think it's an eye sore... Not sure what else to do. Wait spray paint it Black? Hmmmm

Rich

Dan McNally
06-27-2016, 08:24 AM
You can get extra Velcro and make it stay on the lid.

Just thinking it would be out of your way there.:dontknow:
That is what I did after it fell a couple times - the whole back of it is covered with the EZ-Pass version of Velcro. In WV, I can sign in to my EZ-Pass account, online, and order extra Velcro strips.

stillriding
06-27-2016, 10:14 AM
You might find success by placing the unit in a pouch mounted on the glove box lid (for Rts).

wd8ajj
06-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Wow, I thought they got rid of the boxes. In Colo we get a magnetic barcode that is glued to the windshield, lower left corner. No box no batteries. Worked fine on I 44 going to Spyderfest.

Charlotte17078
06-27-2016, 07:49 PM

Bob

I zip tied my ez pass to my windshield bracket and this weekend went through a toll booth and it wouldn't read it... we have always had issues with it, no matter where I put it..
the case on my EZ pass must be lead lined :banghead:

Cleg
06-27-2016, 07:56 PM
I've had my motorcycle ezpass under the trunk lid on 3 RT models. Never an issue and even allows the drunk to be 'loaded'...

SpyderSteveFL
07-01-2016, 04:41 PM
I took my Sunpass apart and put the board in the trunk, sandwiched in between the inner and outer panels. No chance of it falling out, it's up higher and never missed a beat. The only negative is you can't take it out if you ever don't want to use it.

Bob Denman
07-01-2016, 05:28 PM
:clap: VERY creative!! :thumbup: