PDA

View Full Version : Zumo 665 Connection

RUOUTHERE
04-28-2014, 02:12 AM
As we know the RT can come with an optional Garmin 660, I have a 665 that has XM radio. I know the 665 snaps into the 660 mount and works well that comes with the RT. With the 665 we need to use it with the antenna also known as the 'hockey puck'. Does anyone know if the harness assembly that comes with the RT has the antenna connector wire?

So before I start removing the Tupperware looking for the mating antenna connector I was hoping someone knew if it was there?

Thanks

Wiredux
04-28-2014, 07:21 AM
From what I understand the 660 and the 665 harness is different even though it will snap in fine.

gnirtsnod
04-28-2014, 08:04 AM
As we know the RT can come with an optional Garmin 660, I have a 665 that has XM radio. I know the 665 snaps into the 660 mount and works well that comes with the RT. With the 665 we need to use it with the antenna also known as the 'hockey puck'. Does anyone know if the harness assembly that comes with the RT has the antenna connector wire?

So before I start removing the Tupperware looking for the mating antenna connector I was hoping someone knew if it was there?

Thanks

To check, remove the right upper side panel (just above the right passenger floorboard). The Garmin harness should be wire-tied horizontally, and connects to the BRP radio harness about even with the rider's hips. There should be a covered connector for the puck wiring.

See the 660 harness wiring image at this link... http://www.mts1200.info/motorcycleinfo/www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index2d35.html?fa=contentGeneric.kpxvskahyouozlms&pageId=2338005

I mounted my puck under the recessed area of the trunk lid using a homemade bracket and the two center screws. I routed the cable through the hinge opening and behind the passenger pad, down to the Garmin harness. If you need to replace the Garmin harness, it's tedious but not too difficult, but I don't think you'll have to. PM me for more conversation if you like. ...Don

stevedfive
04-28-2014, 10:09 AM
The harness' are different. The 660 harness has the traffic antenna connector and the 665 harness has the XM antenna connector. Lamonster and I tried to use the 660 harness with a 665, it didn't work.

spyder3
04-28-2014, 10:16 AM
665 & 660 wiring is not compatible. somewhere on here lamont posted the correct hook-ups.

gnirtsnod
04-28-2014, 10:41 AM
The harness' are different. The 660 harness has the traffic antenna connector and the 665 harness has the XM antenna connector. Lamonster and I tried to use the 660 harness with a 665, it didn't work.

I defer to you because experience counts for a lot; however, since Garmin lists the same wiring harness for both the 660 and 665 (http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=010-11270-03), I think it would be prudent to at least open up the side of the scooter and take a look. Also, once open, if the harness has the connector, plug in the puck and see if you get reception.

stevedfive
04-28-2014, 11:27 AM
They do look exactly the same and We read that also. But we tried it and it didn't work.

gnirtsnod
04-28-2014, 12:07 PM
They do look exactly the same and We read that also. But we tried it and it didn't work.

I talked with the OEM service support tech at Roadtech/Garmin and you are exactly right. The XM feature will not work on the 660 mount. When ordering the replacement cradle and harness it appears that one harness exists because of downward compatibility - 665 to 660.

Good discussion is what this forum is about and I sure hope this clarifies the answer to the original question. Thanks, ...Don

RUOUTHERE
04-29-2014, 01:28 PM
@Don, this is exactly what this board is all about. Thank-you everyone for the investigation and answer to my question!!

Namvet1966
06-08-2014, 08:01 PM
I am just getting the GPS cradle with the wire harness installed as I already have a 665 Zumo. I do not use the XM radio on the 665, so will all the other GPS functions work via the 660 harness, while I don't use the XM, I do use the MP3 music file section. I wasn't aware that the wire harness were not the same.

jaherbst
06-09-2014, 08:59 AM
I am just getting the GPS cradle with the wire harness installed as I already have a 665 Zumo. I do not use the XM radio on the 665, so will all the other GPS functions work via the 660 harness, while I don't use the XM, I do use the MP3 music file section. I wasn't aware that the wire harness were not the same.

No problem with the MP-3 music as it is internal and downloaded directly into the unit itself. You need the external antennae "Hockey Puck" for xm radio, Weather with full time tracking of Thunderstorms, high winds etc. (with warning), and Traffic. (accidents,heavy traffic, construction) with auto reroute around any of these. I had the same features on my Zumo 550. When traveling through weather it has a moving map of Thunderstorms that you can see and avoid.

ornerydog7
06-09-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks

You may find your answer in this tread, good luck.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39712-Zumo-665-What-s-Needed-to-Install-to-a-2012-RT-SE5

ARCTIC
06-09-2014, 10:33 AM
No problem with the MP-3 music as it is internal and downloaded directly into the unit itself. You need the external antennae "Hockey Puck" for xm radio, Weather with full time tracking of Thunderstorms, high winds etc. (with warning), and Traffic. (accidents,heavy traffic, construction) with auto reroute around any of these. I had the same features on my Zumo 550. When traveling through weather it has a moving map of Thunderstorms that you can see and avoid.

So you could just use the external satellite antenna that comes with the 665 and the zumo 660 mount? That would pump the audio into the stock stereo and provide all power connections?

jaherbst
06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
So you could just use the external satellite antenna that comes with the 665 and the zumo 660 mount? That would pump the audio into the stock stereo and provide all power connections?

No the Zumo 665LM does not run through the stock radio. The "hockey puck" hooks into the 665LM via the mount. They are two separate radios that run independently. Hook up of the 665LM is very simple. The best and easiest way is order the GPS support and harness Part #219400408 for the 2014 and #219400402 for 2013 and prior. This includes a small module for "hockey Puck" hookup.

There are many different ways to hook it up but this involves no splicing (a source of trouble later) or the BRP plug and play kit. Good instructions with pictures and videos on S/L.

Namvet1966
06-09-2014, 06:11 PM

As long as I can connect the 665 to the BRP cradle and hear the driving instructions/ MP3 music and CB thru the speakers or the plug in head sets, I will be happy. I don't need to talk on the phone or need the traffic information. I keep my XM on my Gold Wing along with the 665 GPS when it is not being used on the RTS, which is really the wife's. On the Wing I have to GPS, XM running thru a Kennedy set up that allows it all the plug into the single AUX plug and you can set priorty via the connections to the Kennedy unit, so if you want FM, you click on the FM button and the GPs will still override for turns..etc. Then if you want music from the MP3 files, click the AUX button and the music plays with use of your full handle bar controls, and the GPS will again override, you can also have the CB on and it will override the music too. I could hook up a mic and Bluetooth to my Iphone to the GPS and go thru my helmet set up, but don't care to. We tried the Scala Bluetooth and found them to be quite confusing, had to charge them every night...etc. I like the old school set up and I hope this new 2014 RTS will work the same way.:spyder:

RUOUTHERE
06-09-2014, 08:44 PM
A few updates on my original post.

Changed the Can-Am 660 Zumo harness out with the hardness from Garmin for the 665
took the hockey puck XM antenna off my Gold Wing and installed on my Can-Am, I can now swap the antenna back and forth.
refreshed the signal from XM when first turning on 665 and antenna (both from my Gold Wing) when first turning it on, on the Can-Am
New problem.....priority settings - intercom, CB radio, FM radio, Zumo XM radio/Zumo internal flash card with music. While listening to the Spyder FM, when my wife and I use the intercom the FM radio cuts out as it should, same when using the CB radio but the Zumo XM & Zumo flash card with music takes priority over the intercom. The dash display shows we're transmitting to each other but the Zumo music over rides the intercom. If the songs volume lowers as one song ends and another begins the intercom is fine. I've fiddle farted around with the internal volume settings on the Zumo, no change.

stevedfive
06-09-2014, 09:13 PM
GPS has the priority. So the bike thinks the Garmin music is the GPS giving directions and gives it priority. The bike was setup that way. The only music the bike understands is the BRP am/fm radio; the BRP XM radio; and BRP aux connection to mp3/iPod.

recordingguy
06-10-2014, 11:35 AM
I have the 665 Garmin and love the weather tracking. Would not be with out it. Traffic is also a good thing. Just a note, if you get the XM setup through the
Garmin it will only play monaural not stereo through the radio system. It seems that BRP decided to only provide a non stereo input with their standard mimi plug hook up into their entertainment harness. They want you to buy the BRP X-M unit from them. I went through this and that is what it is unless they have changed it. You need the hockey puck for the weather and traffic features on the 665.

jaherbst
06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
​Just a short clarification. There is two different Zumo 660's and two different Zumo 665's. The 665LM is the one that comes with the XM antennae with all the goodies. (Hockey Puck")