PDA

View Full Version : Gas Capacity - 6.1 Gal + 1 Gal Reserve?

claychaser
04-27-2014, 05:41 PM
The title says it all. How much gas, TOTAL, does a Spyder hold? Specs say "6.1 Gallon, with a 1 Gallon reserve".

How much do you put in with the tank empty?

i usually fill up with the "get out and push" light on, and I have one bar of fuel left. I put in about 5 gallons and change.

Am I on "reserve' when all the bars are gone and I am not being smart trying to stretch things to the next gas station?

"How much gas could a Can Am chug if a Can Am could chug gas?" Or something like that...

Bob Denman
04-27-2014, 05:50 PM
With my 2010 RT; I'd be looking for fuel at about the 135 mile mark... and I'd put in maybe 4.2 gallons.
Truth is; I never got full comfortable with the fuel gauge on that bike... :shocked:
With the 2014; I'm looking to 200 miles as the stopping point... and putting in about 5.2 gallons!
That leave at least another gallon in the tank... perhaps another forty miles??? :dontknow:
The analog fuel gauge just seems much more accurate, than the one on the 2010! :2thumbs:

SNOOPY
04-27-2014, 05:53 PM
My 2013 STS says 6.6 gallons.

Where did you get your numbers?

Chupaca
04-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Fill your tank to the filler level....set trip A to zero and drive till your warning light comes on and set trip B to zero continue till you sputter and die. Check mileage on trip B thats how far you get to reserve. Check mileage on trip A and thats how far you get on a tank of gas. :roflblack: nojoke pull out your gas can and add a gallon of gas. Set trip to zero and ride till you sputter and die. Thats how far you get on a gallon of gas. :roflblack: again nojoke of course now you are out of gas but you know all the specs on gas and your spyder...you may need a frirnd on this one...:roflblack: Sadly everyones outcome will probably be different...:thumbup:

Pennyrick
04-27-2014, 06:23 PM
You cannot access the last half gallon unless you shake your Spyder upside down.

ARtraveler
04-27-2014, 06:24 PM
The most I have ever put in my 2010 was 5.8 gallons at 184 miles. The analog gauge was below empty.

I have switched over to the digital gauges, my refuel lights come on at about 150 miles. The digital gauges seem to give uniform readings over time. I usually fill up between 135 and 150 depending on where I am and where I am heading. I always fill my tank to the same level, reset the trip odometer to zero and use that for an indicator as to when its getting time to refuel.

I have yet to beta test the fuel system on the 2014.

Dan_Ashley
04-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Fill your tank to the filler level....set trip A to zero and drive till your warning light comes on and set trip B to zero continue till you sputter and die. Check mileage on trip B thats how far you get to reserve. Check mileage on trip A and thats how far you get on a tank of gas. :roflblack: nojoke pull out your gas can and add a gallon of gas. Set trip to zero and ride till you sputter and die. Thats how far you get on a gallon of gas. :roflblack: again nojoke of course now you are out of gas but you know all the specs on gas and your spyder...you may need a frirnd on this one...:roflblack: Sadly everyones outcome will probably be different...:thumbup:
You can make your numbers better if you only ride down hill. Really.

bruiser
04-27-2014, 08:50 PM
There is only 6 gallons of usable fuel due to headspace in the tank.

SNOOPY
04-27-2014, 08:54 PM
There is only 6 gallons of usable fuel due to headspace in the tank.

Well now how are you supposed to get your head in the tank Silly? :D

bruiser
04-27-2014, 08:59 PM
It ain't easy. Especially when your head is as big as mine.

SNOOPY
04-27-2014, 09:03 PM
roflmao

Dan_Ashley
04-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Mine has a tank of 4 gallons, with a 2.6 gallon reserve. The trip meter tells me when I'm getting close to the reserve. Today it said 119 when I went to the gas station.

Spyder in La.
04-27-2014, 11:43 PM
The title says it all. How much gas, TOTAL, does a Spyder hold? Specs say "6.1 Gallon, with a 1 Gallon reserve".

How much do you put in with the tank empty?

i usually fill up with the "get out and push" light on, and I have one bar of fuel left. I put in about 5 gallons and change.

Am I on "reserve' when all the bars are gone and I am not being smart trying to stretch things to the next gas station?

"How much gas could a Can Am chug if a Can Am could chug gas?" Or something like that...

Yesterday after fill-up, I rode 82 miles:ohyea: and today I rode another 93 miles for a total of 175 miles on the same tank..:yes:. The last 15 miles there were no bars.:shocked:.. It took 5.4gal to refill the tank. I did this mainly to find my comfort zone ( miles between fill-ups ) for our trip to Virginia in a couple weeks...

Bob Denman
04-28-2014, 06:42 AM
The most I have ever put in my 2010 was 5.8 gallons at 184 miles. The analog gauge was below empty.

I have switched over to the digital gauges, my refuel lights come on at about 150 miles. The digital gauges seem to give uniform readings over time. I usually fill up between 135 and 150 depending on where I am and where I am heading. I always fill my tank to the same level, reset the trip odometer to zero and use that for an indicator as to when its getting time to refuel.

I have yet to beta test the fuel system on the 2014.

The new analogs seem MUCH more accurate, and repeatable. :2thumbs:

scarecrow
04-28-2014, 02:03 PM

I read this this morning and I'm Still ROFLMAO.
Because I know people that will do just that. lol

claychaser
04-28-2014, 02:31 PM

THANKS!:shocked: Really love the response! And, yep. it is listed as holding 6.6 gallons.
It is good to read so many responses and get a general idea of what is going on.

As for this formula - you have no idea how close I am to doing this.:2thumbs:

If you are going to Spyderfest have a great time. As for me, maybe next year.

Bob Denman
04-28-2014, 03:53 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Now THAT's just showing off! :roflblack:
How have you been? We've mised you!

ValCruzSpyder
04-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Yesterday after fill-up, I rode 82 miles:ohyea: and today I rode another 93 miles for a total of 175 miles on the same tank..:yes:. The last 15 miles there were no bars.:shocked:.. It took 5.4gal to refill the tank. I did this mainly to find my comfort zone ( miles between fill-ups ) for our trip to Virginia in a couple weeks...

We have a few Spyder-Ryders in the area. Make sure you let us know when you get in our area. Maybe we can set up a meet and eat...or something like that. 'Til then...Ride Safe and Have Fun!!!!

Spyder in La.
04-28-2014, 11:30 PM
We have a few Spyder-Ryders in the area. Make sure you let us know when you get in our area. Maybe we can set up a meet and eat...or something like that. 'Til then...Ride Safe and Have Fun!!!!

Thanks!

jrk36
04-29-2014, 02:19 AM
My 2013 STS says 6.6 gallons.

Where did you get your numbers?

.... and my 2008 RS says 7.13 US Gal, with no mention of "reserve"?

John K

billybovine
04-29-2014, 08:26 AM
.... and my 2008 RS says 7.13 US Gal, with no mention of "reserve"?

John K

I think you need to read your 2008 GS manual again. 25L = 6.6 US gallons.

jrk36
04-29-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm quoting the 2008 RS Sadness Brochure, I've not converted anything!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

billybovine
04-29-2014, 08:57 AM
I'm quoting the 2008 RS Sadness Brochure, I've not converted anything!

All models and years have the same gas tank except for the 2014 RT.

I assume your spyder came with the CE manual and the fuel capacity is on page 120.

jrk36
04-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Sadness = "official" :-(
I don't know why there is even a discussion about this - I'm purely reporting what the official brochure indicates - I'm not making that up!

Bob Denman
04-29-2014, 10:37 AM
The marketing folks; often have a funny way of looking at things... :D
I think that the're better liars, than the T.V. meteorologists! :shocked:

Fat Crip
04-29-2014, 12:16 PM
I've been reading this with a little confusion. Why? Well first, though I haven't measured it, I feel like I'm getting a few more miles to the gallon on my 2013 STS than most of you, but then, I'm also thinking I only have a five and a half gallon tank. Then one post and I'm back in the game! You don't use proper gallons, but short ones! Real gallons, the ones we've been using since you were still just pesky colonials, are 1.2 short change, US gallons!

Mind you we, over here, confuse ourselves even more because we buy fuel by the litre and measure our tank capacities in litres, but ask us how many kilometres our cars do per litre (the official measure) and we haven't a clue...we use miles per gallon, just like you...but, then again, not like you because, ceteris paribus, we get 25% more miles to the gallon...real gallons obviously!

I need a lie down now :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD