PDA

View Full Version : new owner needs advice

uspmike
04-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Picked up a 2013 RS SE5 today. Its a new holdover. Looking for advice on shocks and possibly a new sway bar. Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,Mike

Cruzr Joe
04-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Picked up a 2013 RS SE5 today. Its a new holdover. Looking for advice on shocks and possibly a new sway bar. Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,Mike

bajaRons sway bar, can't help on shocks..

Cruzr joe

Dan_Ashley
04-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Sway bar first. Then shocks if you still think you need it

jimclarkf1
04-26-2014, 11:44 PM
you came to the right place,,,,3 days go to SPYDERFEST-5, Ron swaybar, and maybe FOX shocks, or ELSKE

Chupaca
04-27-2014, 01:19 AM
On your new ryde and the roadster world. First you should get used to what you have. Then most will suggest the BajaRon sway bar next I will add you should do the hiem joints as well. Ron has those. After ryding with the new bar I went with the pitbull shock relocators and am happy with them but the shocks to get are Race Tech, Elkas, Progressive or Fox. All to rich for my blood so can't say which to go with. Most I have seen mentioned here are Elkas and Fox..good luck and enjoy the new ryde...:thumbup::ohyea:

mastertek2000
04-27-2014, 04:55 AM
just did my 2013RT SSM5 bajaRons sway bar was all i needed

Bob Denman
04-27-2014, 08:17 AM
:welcome: I'd also suggest a BajaRon Anti-SwayBar... :2thumbs:
But why not ride it for a while, and see if you're happy with it; as-is? :dontknow:

Purple Guy
04-27-2014, 08:56 AM
:congrats: on your new ride & :welcome:

BajaRon is the guy to contact concerning the sway bar.
I'd change that and ride it a bit before deciding if you need/want to change the shocks.

Rob Rodriguez
04-27-2014, 09:48 AM
After riding my 2012 RS SE5 for a year I changed out the stock sway bar for the Ron bar and also upgraded to the Fox Podium shocks. These were my reasons for doing so.

I found if I wanted to ride harder in the corners the front end was too soft and there seemed to be a lot of front end "roll" or push. So much so in fact the nanny would kick in at a time that I felt the bike wasn't being pushed very hard.

When I rode two up the front end felt sketchy. I don't want to say it was unsafe but it didn't give me a confident feel in handling.

From years of riding sleds I knew that a stiffer bar and shock upgrade will help greatly with the front end push.

So, I have them installed but haven't been able to actually ride the bike because the mud on my road (I live 1 mile down a dirt road) is still to deep to bring out the Spyder. I can say this though. Just sitting on the bike and rocking it side to side there is a significant difference in the "stiffness" of the front end. I think this is going to improve the handling in both the situations I mentioned above. It may mean the ride isn't quite as plush but I'm willing to give up some ride quality for better handling.

Side note.......I bought the Fox shocks on Amazon for about $40 less than I could get them from BRP or the dealer. At $360 they are a pretty good buy compared to the alternatives out there.

StanProff
04-27-2014, 10:15 AM
:welcome: I'd also suggest a BajaRon Anti-SwayBar... :2thumbs:
But why not ride it for a while, and see if you're happy with it; as-is? :dontknow:

:agree: I rode my RT S for well over a year before thinking about adding anything to it. It might be that your Spyder just happens to be right for you out of the box. Mine is the 2010 model and there have been improvements on the shocks and other things. You might be happy with what you have.

jcthorne
04-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Sway bar first. Then shocks if you still think you need it

+1 Do the bar first then decide on the shocks.

uspmike
04-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Thank you all for the advice! Going to spyderfest. May be able to find something there.
Mike

ARtraveler
04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
:congrats: on the new ryde. Cannot give you any firsthand advice other than to recommend giving it a thousand miles or so and then deciding if you need improvements.