PDA

View Full Version : U-Turn for ALTMOST Skills Test

HedonismBot
04-26-2014, 04:26 PM
My wife and I were practicing for our skills test today using the guide found http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-training/motorcycle-test/. We did pretty well with most everything;however it mentions for the right u-turn that the Spyder would need to make the u-turn within a 24' wide box. This doesn't seem possible unless we totally measured wrong. It seems like no matter what we try, we're always 3-5' shy of enough room to make the u-turn without hitting the cones with our left wheel. I thought I recalled some thread on the forums that mentioned the Spyder being unable to pass this. I can't seem to find it anywhere though so maybe I was dreaming.

Does anyone have any advice on this? We've both tried at varying speeds and our bars are definitely turned ALL the way to the right and we can't make it.

joebryanjr
04-26-2014, 04:51 PM
I had the same issue. In MO if you take the MSF BASIC RIDING COURSE you do not need to take the state riding test. You still need to take the written test.
i took mine at Big St. Charles Motorsports, Harley Davidson, indian (and soon CanAm). $240 for 2 days. You use their bikes. It is well worth it because of all you learn.
Forest Park Community College also offers the course if that is more convenient for you. I hope this helps. Good luck!

My wife and I were practicing for our skills test today using the guide found http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-training/motorcycle-test/. We did pretty well with most everything;however it mentions for the right u-turn that the Spyder would need to make the u-turn within a 24' wide box. This doesn't seem possible unless we totally measured wrong. It seems like no matter what we try, we're always 3-5' shy of enough room to make the u-turn without hitting the cones with our left wheel. I thought I recalled some thread on the forums that mentioned the Spyder being unable to pass this. I can't seem to find it anywhere though so maybe I was dreaming.

Does anyone have any advice on this? We've both tried at varying speeds and our bars are definitely turned ALL the way to the right and we can't make it.

SpyderAnn01
04-26-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm going to be working with the Nevada DMV next month helping them
make their motorcycle test course work for Spyders. It should be interesting to see what concessions they will allow for our size. I seem to recall that I had trouble staying within the lines on the Uturn when I took my test in MI.

You can miss a certain number of points and still pass so it probably won't matter if you miss it on the Uturn.

Chupaca
04-26-2014, 05:01 PM
but if you take the test on the spyder they adjust the course accordingly. Maybe not everywhere. If you take the test on a bike should not be a problem. Here we don't test at all if we have a drivers license..seems off if they expect a spyder to test like a motorcycle....good luck..!! :thumbup:

NetJunkie
04-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Here in NC they adjust the test for the wider turning radius.

joebryanjr
04-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Here they have a Trike course but the tuns are still too tight for the Spyder. Part of the test was a turn around a cone without going over the line. The cone to the line was 54" and the Spyder is 60" wide.
i opted for the BRC and am really happy I did.

but if you take the test on the spyder they adjust the course accordingly. Maybe not everywhere. If you take the test on a bike should not be a problem. Here we don't test at all if we have a drivers license..seems off if they expect a spyder to test like a motorcycle....good luck..!! :thumbup:

joebryanjr
04-26-2014, 05:12 PM
I forgot to mention they have them on weekends, also. I took mine on a Monday and Tuesday.

HedonismBot
04-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. I found in the manual where it states the turn radius is just shy of 24.5'. I'll bring that along with us just in case.

I'd do the MSF but by disability kills the chance of me doing a two wheel motorcycle at this point. Missouri also doesn't have a trike course that also gives you the exemption from the skills test.

joebryanjr
04-28-2014, 09:50 AM
In Missouri the 2 wheel course is all you need. There is a separate vehicle plate for motor tricycle, but the operator's license is the same. If you cannot ride 2 wheels, that is not an option for you.

You might want to check with the testing station near you. Also, Forest Park may have a class you can take on the Spyder. Big St. Charles does not.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I found in the manual where it states the turn radius is just shy of 24.5'. I'll bring that along with us just in case.

I'd do the MSF but by disability kills the chance of me doing a two wheel motorcycle at this point. Missouri also doesn't have a trike course that also gives you the exemption from the skills test.

HedonismBot
04-28-2014, 01:55 PM
In Missouri the 2 wheel course is all you need. There is a separate vehicle plate for motor tricycle, but the operator's license is the same. If you cannot ride 2 wheels, that is not an option for you.

You might want to check with the testing station near you. Also, Forest Park may have a class you can take on the Spyder. Big St. Charles does not.

Good luck!

Yah I looked everywhere and the only trike course is out by Kansas City and even then you'd still have to go to the highway patrol for the skills test. I talked to someone in Jeff City for the licensing department of the D.O.R. and supposedly the ability for a MSF trike course to have you licensed with the 3-wheel restriction without a skills test is hung up in the state legislature. I'm sure that this is the lowest possible priority for them. So, we'll take the test on our Spyder and bring the owner's manual with us just in case. The Deer Creek office testers said they have done several Spyders and seemed to have decent knowledge on them. I didn't get that impression from the person I talked to off 70 in O'Fallon (which is closer to me). I'll make the trip to the Deer Creek office :thumbup:

After hearing Terry from Big St. Charles on the morning show on 105.7 the Point talk negatively about all trike riders being "not real motorcyclists" and "for cripples and olds" I wouldn't support them with a single penny.

joebryanjr
04-28-2014, 02:08 PM
I do not know who Terry from Big St. Charles is, but they are adding CANAM Spyders to their store. Their store in Alton (Ted's) is a highly recommended CanAM store. Next time I talk to Mark Rodgers in Sales I'll ask him about Terry.

Again, good luck with your test. I am in Dardenne Prairie and the O'Fallon office is where I had a problem. I also was not really stable on the Spyder yet.

You can take the written test and ride. I do not know if you can have a passenger with just the learner's permit.

St. Charles County also offers the class on north 2nd street, I believe. You might want to contact them as they might let you use your Spyder.

Yah I looked everywhere and the only trike course is out by Kansas City and even then you'd still have to go to the highway patrol for the skills test. I talked to someone in Jeff City for the licensing department of the D.O.R. and supposedly the ability for a MSF trike course to have you licensed with the 3-wheel restriction without a skills test is hung up in the state legislature. I'm sure that this is the lowest possible priority for them. So, we'll take the test on our Spyder and bring the owner's manual with us just in case. The Deer Creek office testers said they have done several Spyders and seemed to have decent knowledge on them. I didn't get that impression from the person I talked to off 70 in O'Fallon (which is closer to me). I'll make the trip to the Deer Creek office :thumbup:

After hearing Terry from Big St. Charles on the morning show on 105.7 the Point talk negatively about all trike riders being "not real motorcyclists" and "for cripples and olds" I wouldn't support them with a single penny.

lookerjdc
04-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I often wonder when these people talk about Spyders not being real motorcycles, are they forgetting that their beloved Harley dealers also sell a trike aka the Tri-Glide? what do they have to say about those?

but to not take the thread off topic, I'm sure things will get sorted out for you

jthornton
04-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Wish I had something to add but I took my test on a Suzuki 200cc two wheeler and got the first perfect score in Poplar Bluff for the new test. I had tried the old test on my GL1500 and it was impossible to pass with a GoldWing as you can't see the cones... so I just paid a few bucks every 6 months to renew the "learners permit" even though I learned how to ride motorcycles in 1968.

JT

HedonismBot
04-29-2014, 07:50 AM
When we were looking for our Spyder we went to Ted's and were super impressed. I'm actually very happy with St. Louis Powersports in Fenton where we ended up buying ours. I haven't had any complaints so far with them.

Terry will be the guy that was a frequent guest on the Wood and Rizzuto morning show on 105.7 and is still a guest on the Rizzuto show that is now on the station. I couldn't believe what I heard and then my wife called to ask me if I also heard what she had also just heard. I shouldn't punish a whole store but as someone with a disability who just bought a Spyder that costs far more than most of their 2 wheeled bikes, I was really pissed off he'd say something so asinine of the air as someone trying to promote their business.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I do not know who Terry from Big St. Charles is, but they are adding CANAM Spyders to their store. Their store in Alton (Ted's) is a highly recommended CanAM store. Next time I talk to Mark Rodgers in Sales I'll ask him about Terry.

Again, good luck with your test. I am in Dardenne Prairie and the O'Fallon office is where I had a problem. I also was not really stable on the Spyder yet.

You can take the written test and ride. I do not know if you can have a passenger with just the learner's permit.

St. Charles County also offers the class on north 2nd street, I believe. You might want to contact them as they might let you use your Spyder.

bluestratos
04-29-2014, 09:30 AM
I took my test in WA state and they did not even test for a U Turn. I think it is pretty obvious that on a Spyder the U-turn takes no skill, lol. In fact the instructor (DMV) said that Spyders always pass and the practical test was really a waste of time for him. I have to admit, the test was lame, I was told to slow down as he was having a hard time watching if I went out of the lines, lol. With the ABS breaking and the perfect visibility of the front tires the test really is a waste of time if you already have your motorcycle license.