PDA

View Full Version : I need some truthful response

pdxgoldwing
08-31-2008, 11:12 PM
I am in the process of buying a Spyder but I have some questions before I sign on the dotted line. I ride alot...at least on 2 wheels...by alot I mean about 25 to 30K a year. Is the and will the Spyder hold up to alot of hard riding?...The Spyder is so attractively priced, nothing like the Wing trike...so...someone tell me the truth..should I go back to the wing or will this handle hard aggresive riding and ask for more?:chat:

Sopher
08-31-2008, 11:57 PM
I am in the process of buying a Spyder but I have some questions before I sign on the dotted line. I ride alot...at least on 2 wheels...by alot I mean about 25 to 30K a year. Is the and will the Spyder hold up to alot of hard riding?...The Spyder is so attractively priced, nothing like the Wing trike...so...someone tell me the truth..should I go back to the wing or will this handle hard aggresive riding and ask for more?:chat:

I think Lamonster is the best to testify to this. With all the twisties he rides and the long trips, he may be the roughest on the Spyder.

Remember that the spyder is a different animal and rides different than other bikes and different than other trikes. Take the demo ride.

NancysToy
09-01-2008, 06:52 AM
There will be differences, and you will have to make decisions on the trade-offs yourself. I second the demo ride motion...try several. You will find the Spyder handles better than the GW trike, IMO. Not as protected from the wind, however, and not as comfortable for some riders. Depends a lot on your riding style, shape, and any mods you have elected to make. Not sure about storage space comparisons, but you will certainly want more for long trks with the Spyder. Tale a look at Lamonster's trailer, as an example. My wife is considering hard bags, either Givi or Corbin. An aftermarket windshield is almost a certainty, the wind beats you up after a while in the saddle. Not sure anybody with a Wing is familiar with wind. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif Spyder is almost certainly cheaper, leaving wiggle room for personal modifications to suit you. My wife bought her Spyder so she could travel with me on the road on my Beemer. No real long trips, so far, but it seems perfectly capable. She's put on several thousand miles as a beginning rider, as have several others on this forum. Good luck with your decision.
-Scotty

Lamonster
09-01-2008, 07:07 AM
I have about 8 months of riding my Spyder. I also run a website called www.GL1800Riders.com (http://www.GL1800Riders.com) and one of the first things some of the guys said was I would hate it and wouldn't be able to do more than 150 mile days on it. The first two days I put 800 miles on her. I now have just shy of 21,000 miles one her with one 1200 mile day and a bunch of 600-700 mile days. A short ride to me is 200-300 miles. I also ride Deals Gap at least 3 times a month. I live in some of the best riding in the country.

I just got back from a 7000 mile trip (by myself) and the Spyder did great. It is the most comfortable ride I've ever owned and it handles like it's on rails. I'm not selling Spyders so I have nothing to gain here, I just love it and for me it is the perfect all around ride and with the money you'll save on a Spyder you could buy a fully outfitted Bushtec and still put money in your pocket.:doorag:

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080730/6/c/2/6c2e12607e12a5ae3294bb8d1f51a76d0_large.jpg

Twodog185
09-01-2008, 07:50 AM
My perspective:

I had a full dress Harley....could sit on it longer than I could sit in my lazyboy. Since I only travel 6 to 8 times a year (extended camping or hotel travel), it was too bulky for everyday riding.

I had a Goldwing....It was the ultimate in long distance interstate travel. Much too expensive for the advantages over the Dresser, but it was equally or more comfortable than the dresser. Did not like it's mountain road handling any more than I disliked the dresser.

I had a softail....added thousands in extras for light weight around town travel and extended travel. Custom seat, pegs, handlebars, trailer hitch, etc. Never reached the level of comfort needed for extended travel.

None of the above are made to travel safely in the rain.

Also, none of the above were interesting, exciting, or unique.

I'll have over $23K invested in my Spyder by the time I'm done. I make stuff I can't afford, and I don't get crap for free, so it'll take time. When I'm done, I'll have a lightweight city scoot that'll handle every situation in or out of town. It's the only ALL-WEATHER motorcycle class vehicle in it's price range. Without much effort, you can switch it from "run to the store" to "3 days at a bike rally". It's the only futuristic production vehicle I know of that takes the "old school" imagination required to make it your own. If you don't like tinkering you'll need to wait until major aftermarket companies start pumping out generic add-ons.

I had thoughts of a nice touring class BMW, but hips, knees, and lower back issues that bothered me on all my other bikes would be present with any two wheeled bike on the market.

It absolutely brought "fun" back into riding that was missing for years.

On a side note. Been going to bike rallies for years, and I have more pictures of naked ladies posing on my 3 month old Spyder, than all the Harley's I've owned in the last 18 years. That may add to the "Y" factor, don't know. :dontknow:

czdaryle
09-01-2008, 09:06 AM
any chance of you emailing those pictures out :)

Lamonster
09-01-2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/images/worksafe.png

Greg H.
09-01-2008, 09:11 AM
any chance of you emailing those pictures out :)

:nopic: :cheers: roflmao