PDA

View Full Version : Utopia back rest in

SAPD911
04-25-2014, 01:25 PM
A local trike dealer says it will be $95.00 to install. I am a cheapo, so I will be doing the install myself. My only question is raising the seat (14RTS) higher according to the instructions. Is this easy to do? Wish me luck, Ill post pics next week. Plan on doing the install Sun or Monday.

bullant12
04-25-2014, 01:45 PM
I would recommend removing the seat. It is a lot easier to install the Utopia back rest.

You will need to remove the bolts and nuts from the back end of the seat. Use a rag or towel to catch the nuts and washers.

ARtraveler
04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
I have one on the shelf to install after my 2014 arrives. Looking at the directions it appears that it can be done without removal of the seat.

Removal of the seat will definitely make it easier though. On past installations, some have also suggested removing the passenger backrest to give some additional room.

I don't like having to remove the seat bolts. It is a big pain for me, and I am also prone to losing things in the "black hole."

I will watch to see how your works out. :thumbup:

stillriding
04-25-2014, 03:04 PM
A local trike dealer says it will be $95.00 to install. I am a cheapo, so I will be doing the install myself. My only question is raising the seat (14RTS) higher according to the instructions. Is this easy to do? Wish me luck, Ill post pics next week. Plan on doing the install Sun or Monday.The seat will go higher if you disconnect the pneumatic rod that holds up the seat. Pry the silver, curved piece and the rod will pop off. You'll need something longer to prop up the seat higher to work under it.

SpyderAnn01
04-25-2014, 03:09 PM
The seat goes higher when you remove the passenger backrest, which is easy to do.

stevedfive
04-25-2014, 03:29 PM
It takes 15-20 mins to install on a 2014. You don't have to raise the seat any higher than it opens. You don't have to remove the seat or the backrest. It's very easy. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I installed three in about an hour.

BikerDoc
04-25-2014, 03:59 PM
I would recommend removing the seat. It is a lot easier to install the Utopia back rest.

You will need to remove the bolts and nuts from the back end of the seat. Use a rag or towel to catch the nuts and washers.
I agree -- too easy to drop nuts or bolts when you are trying to work "under" the seat... take it off --much easier

SAPD911
04-25-2014, 05:14 PM
It takes 15-20 mins to install on a 2014. You don't have to raise the seat any higher than it opens. You don't have to remove the seat or the backrest. It's very easy. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I installed three in about an hour.

Thanks Steve, will let yall know how long it took this noob, lol

Bob Denman
04-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Good Luck! :2thumbs: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gif

stevedfive
04-25-2014, 05:51 PM
I agree that you should place a towel or something under the seat/on the bike to catch any of the bolts that you drop. The nuts are already inside the seat pan.

SAPD911
04-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys, install seems fairly easy. Wife is even helping out. Bonus.

And the fit and finish is amazing. Looks OEM right down to the stitching. Packaged nicely with easy to follow instructions. Was on the fence with the two tone but it matches and looks great. Thanks Bob at Utopia.

PW2013STL
04-26-2014, 05:36 AM
:agree: With the others. Very easy for the nuts to fall into the slot in the bike. Put a rag or tape up the slot. If I had I would not have had to fish them out twice :banghead:
For install I found putting the tip of a wire tie alongside the nut held them while I worked the seat inplace and once I had the bolts in the ties were easy to pull out.

lwrydr
04-26-2014, 08:34 AM
I took the seat off, went to a local upolstry shop, had them install the seat cause I did not want to cut the hole, $40 bucks later
I picked up the seat and put it on the bike. I pulled the bold out that holds the backrest to the seat and don't ride with it unless i'm going on a trip.
It all worked out super.87108

Chupaca
04-26-2014, 10:36 AM
will wait for the update next week...:popcorn::bbq:

Bob Denman
04-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys, install seems fairly easy. Wife is even helping out. Bonus.

And the fit and finish is amazing. Looks OEM right down to the stitching. Packaged nicely with easy to follow instructions. Was on the fence with the two tone but it matches and looks great. Thanks Bob at Utopia.
:nopic: :2thumbs: