PDA

View Full Version : Question about 2014 RT Frunk light

spyder-dude
04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
I noticed on my 2014 RT that the Frunk light doesn't work. On one of my buddies I noticed where it is located and works great. Then another friend came today and I checked his and it isn't working.

Anyone else's not working?

Any special tricks other than having the key on?

Flash Gordon
04-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Best to check it when it is dark, and I think that the engine must be running. It is NOT very bright. That is why you can't see it during the day, especially if the sun is shining.:lecturef_smilie:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-24-2014, 11:36 PM
I noticed on my 2014 RT that the Frunk light doesn't work. On one of my buddies I noticed where it is located and works great. Then another friend came today and I checked his and it isn't working.

Is it the base RT? If so, there is no frunk light, at least there wasn't on the '13 RT.

spyder-dude
04-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Mine is the 2014 RTS as well as my friend has an identical one but his light does work. I will try it in the dark to verify.

Bob Denman
04-25-2014, 07:33 AM
NOt that it's a big deal... :shocked:
But it would be nice, if they'd move the light up by the latch. Configure it as a bank of LEDS on a pivot mount; giving the ability to point the lights in any useful direction. :thumbup:

lois35
10-20-2015, 06:48 PM
I just found mine in the frunk but it doesn't work. I cut on the lights and still nothing. Cut the bike on still no light. Does anyone know how to change it or is there a fuse. The bike is brand new. Had it a week. I have a 2015 spyder RT limited.
Thanks
Lois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zorro
10-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Check the connector plug to the switch at the top centre of the frunk as mine was installed incorrectly and I have seen another the same.

Zorro

Bob Denman
10-21-2015, 07:27 AM
I just found mine in the frunk but it doesn't work. I cut on the lights and still nothing. Cut the bike on still no light. Does anyone know how to change it or is there a fuse. The bike is brand new. Had it a week. I have a 2015 spyder RT limited.
Thanks Lois

On a new bike? I'd let the dealer worry about it... :thumbup:

ThreeWheels
10-21-2015, 08:38 AM

How can you tell if it's working or not ?
Most of the time the frunk liner covers the light, so even if it's functioning perfectly, it's very close to useless.

Lew L
10-21-2015, 10:01 AM
So exactly where is this mysterious light located??

I looked after reading this thread and can't find it ( of course, I'm sure it's right in front of me) If the frunk liner on the RTS covers it ---- well isn't that good design. If the motor must be running for the light to be on, well auto have had a light on the hood for years where the light was on when the hood was up, motor off???

Guess I'll pull the frunk liner and look again, in the dark garage, with the motor running!!!!!!!!:hun:

Kaos

Jim&Teresa
10-21-2015, 10:47 AM
The light is a minimal approach to lighting your frunk! I don't even notice the frunk light unless it's pitch dark. I have found that the liner gets in the way and you need to push the frunk liner around the light to get more light from it. A lot of good suggestions in this post. IF you need a light at night for your frunk, think about a cheap battery operated LED set-up - easy to mount, low costs, and lots of light. Good luck!

JayBros
10-21-2015, 12:01 PM
I agree, it's not a well positioned or very bright light. Mine was largely obscured by the frunk liner so I put a heavy paper clamp where it would bend the liner out of the way and left it there for several months. It's better now but not great.

Highwayman2013
10-21-2015, 01:06 PM
I found mine and it is useless, so I don't care if it works or not.

ARtraveler
10-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Happy to say that I have not found a need for the light. I will check mine out...just because. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-21-2015, 04:34 PM
So exactly where is this mysterious light located??
Left front side; about halfway down... there's a small recess that you can feel, easier than you can see. :thumbup:

Lew L
10-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Thanks Bob,

I did find it yesterday but I was too busy dealing with a dead battery.

It DOSEN'T WORK any way:mad:------- For what we pay for an RTS ---Everything should work. If you bought a$30,000 car and your interior lights didn't function it would be right back at the dealership---true??

I'm going to call the dealer soonest and tell them about the light while thier fixing the battery.

All this is causing::::
Kaos

Bob Denman
10-22-2015, 11:29 AM
I agree: it's at the shop, so let them fix it! :thumbup:

Lew L
10-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Now that my :spyder2: has a new batttery ( dealer installed), They ordered a new frunk light . They said the plug was broken??????? Sometimes i just don't believe these folks. But, I guess it could have broken during assembly and was missed by QC.

Kaos

Bob Denman
10-24-2015, 02:15 PM
And you're: "Back up, and on three"? :2thumbs:

trikermutha
10-24-2015, 04:32 PM
I ended up adding LED light strip to the Frunk. nice and bright and can see in now..That stock light is use less..

Copperman
10-24-2015, 04:37 PM
I carry a flashlight in my trunk.

Bob Denman
10-24-2015, 05:19 PM
I ended up adding LED light strip to the Frunk. nice and bright and can see in now..That stock light is use less..

How did you hook up the wiring? I bought a strip, and haven't had a chance to start digging into the project yet... a bit of advice would make it easier! :D

trikermutha
10-24-2015, 07:09 PM
How did you hook up the wiring? I bought a strip, and haven't had a chance to start digging into the project yet... a bit of advice would make it easier! :D

I used one of the plug adapters that Tricled sells and plugged it into the existing Frunk light plug then ran the wires to the new strip light LED. No wires were striped on the bike and can go back to stock if I want..Same as What I did for the fender lights. I ran the wires thru the Plug next to the battery and sealed it with Silicone RTV

Lew L
10-25-2015, 05:24 PM
1. When is this frunk light 'On"? Frunk open? Ignition on, trunk open? Motor running,trunk open?

2. Which tricled adaptor? Strip led's,, just a 12V strip of 15 or 20 leds?

Ok,OK----- 6 questions, Just answer a few at a time.:dontknow:

Too many ?'s cause::

Kaos

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-25-2015, 07:07 PM
1. When is this frunk light 'On"? Frunk open? Ignition on, trunk open? Motor running,trunk open?

Frunk lid unlatched, i.e., frunk open and engine running. Except mine. It quit working for some reason so I have to do some investigating. The frunk light is operated by the same micro switch that is connected to the electric frunk lid release actuator. It completes the ground side of the circuit for both. Lid closed, actuator operates when the switch is depressed. Lid open, the light is on.

Here's what I did for a frunk light. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?63925-I-brightened-up-my-trunk-frunk-and-saddlebags!&highlight=frunk+light

EDIT: My goof. Should be ignition on, not engine running. My rememberer don't remember too good no more! :(

trikermutha
10-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Ignition on .motor does not have to be running. Frunk open switch activates the light. Turn off ignition it times out and lights go off. or close lid and light turns off.

I have a bulk roll of led waterproof strip lights I got from SUPERBRIGHT LED.com. Cut to length and stuck to inside liner on the back wall.

The dual pole adapter but can be bought from custom dynamics or ebay.

Ok,OK----- 6 questions, Just answer a few at a time.:dontknow:

Too many ?'s cause::

Kaos

Does that help??:ohyea:Picture kinda blury but you get how bright it is.. See above answers in bold..

Lew L
10-26-2015, 10:18 AM
And one last question:
Besr way to access the lights wires?

TIA Kaos

trikermutha
10-26-2015, 10:40 AM
And one last question:
Besr way to access the lights wires?

TIA Kaos

I copied WASWINGER picture from another post ..Under left side panel by the fronk. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83890&d=1393463785&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83890&d=1393463785) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=frunk+light (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?63925-I-brightened-up-my-trunk-frunk-and-saddlebags!&highlight=frunk+light)

Lew L
11-03-2015, 01:00 PM
After a battery change under warranty, my trunk light now works????

Could have been a loose connection???

Kaos

trikermutha
11-07-2015, 04:36 PM
After a battery change under warranty, my trunk light now works????

Could have been a loose connection???

Kaos

Or possible bad light?? But the battery is in the center by the Frunk the connection for the light is on the left side by the headlight.

Maybe the frunk switch?? or connections there?