PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need input/opinions on RT accessories

PrairieSpyder
04-24-2014, 05:26 PM
So I'm getting my new 2014 RTS Monday at Pitbull's and I'm thinking of having him add the Tri-axis handlebars and the vented windshield, since it would be a savings of labor cost to do it at the beginning. So I need to know what ya'll's experience has been with those items.

I occasionally wish I could move the handlebars closer to me and/or to a narrower configuration, especially when I'm on a long ryde.

As to the windshield, I think there would be an obvious advantage for the summer, but should I go with the 23"? I don't like having to look thru the windshield because of distortion - what with glasses, helmet sunshade, helmet shield, etc. I already have a lot of layers of plastic to look through. With the stock windshield on my 2011 I keep it at the lowest setting (unless I need to block rain or such) and the top edge of the windshield is pretty much right across my line-of-sight, which is annoying. So I'm thinking of getting the 23" and I can always raise it up if I need more wind/rain protection.

I am getting the new Spyder on Monday the 28th and I need to tell them what I want added to it. Your opinions are urgently requested.:dontknow:

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Hi Patti!
:congrats:
You probably should switch to the 23" screen. It'll still raise up high enough, that you can hide behind it if you need... :thumbup:
The "Adjust-a-Bars"... Now's the time to do it; if you decide to... I sometimes find myself looking for a touch more "angle" to the pullback; I just haven't decided if it's worth the money yet, for me to pull the trigger. :dontknow:
Consider the adjustable lower air-vents... 87028 They look really sharp, and help you to tailor the airflow around you and the bike.

jcthorne
04-24-2014, 05:33 PM
I would recommend the Tri-Axis bars. Big deal to install and they really do help.

The windshield I would try using the stock one first. Its vented from the factory. If you dont like it or the height, you will know exactly what you want to chage. And its only a few bolts and 10 minutes to change.

samewok
04-24-2014, 05:52 PM
The 23 will be just right for you. I had the 23 but had them change it to the 25 vented which I really like.

ARtraveler
04-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Also suggest having the Tri Axis bars put on at assembly time. A great option if you need to move out of the OEM position. Cannot give advice about the vented windshield. Have not had a chance to play on my new RT yet.

I just got the BRP catalog, and really like the looks of the vented windshield. :thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Have your "Wish-List" all filled-out, for when the bike hits the showroom! :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
04-24-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm leaning toward getting the vented windshield because I can clearly see the benefit of having it after having my '11 RT without it. But, like Bob D, I'm not sure the 'adjust-a-bars' are worth the $650 they cost. I had been thinking I could wait until the Owners' Event and buy them there in June, but I might not get such a good deal on installation as at assembly time. Like jcthorne says they're not a simple DIY project.

But I will still need some money to get home from 'Fest, and I hope to have some money left to go to Durango in June.

At the vendor village, I want to buy a bump skid and maybe highway pegs. Does anyone have an idea of what the installed cost of those items would be?

This is getting curiouser and curiouser!

http://www.myemoticons.com/images/emotions/thinking/question-mark.gif

warp10
04-24-2014, 08:10 PM
I think that spyderpops installs them for about 20 bucks, don't know about the pegs, probably about the same. The biggest benefit of the vented is reduced wind buffeting. The new 2014 shield has 2 holes in the front that help, but the vents do even more. I would get the bars now, lots of adjustment and easy to do on the road.

see you at Spyderfest.

SpyderAnn01
04-24-2014, 08:22 PM
I love my TriAxis and I think you will also. I had the vented windshield on my 2013 and I didn't get one for the 2014. I liked the 23" size but I didn't think it offered a lot more ventilation. I went with the adjustable vents instead and I really like them

cuznjohn
04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
love my vented windshield

spyder-dude
04-24-2014, 08:51 PM
I would highly recommend the f4 vented windshield over the BRP windshield. They have several options and really like the wide version of their windshields compared to the BRP windshields. They will also be at spyderfest. It takes about 5 minutes to swap a windshield also....

MarkLawson
04-25-2014, 06:49 AM
I would highly recommend the f4 vented windshield over the BRP windshield. They have several options and really like the wide version of their windshields compared to the BRP windshields. They will also be at spyderfest. It takes about 5 minutes to swap a windshield also....

:agree:

Also, I would hold off on the tri-axis handlebars until you know if you need them. You might find the original standard setup is just right and save the $650. You can always add them later if you decide you need them.

PrairieSpyder
04-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the input on these items. I think I'm going to go for both items.

Ya'll are the best :2thumbs:

bruiser
04-25-2014, 09:21 AM
We're going to get the tri axis on Bruisersbaby's 2010 RTS next week. Her biggest complaint on long runs are her shoulders aching from having to lean forward. She's 5'3" and the standard bars are just not set for her short arms.

PrairieSpyder
04-25-2014, 09:45 AM
We're going to get the tri axis on Bruisersbaby's 2010 RTS next week. Her biggest complaint on long runs are her shoulders aching from having to lean forward. She's 5'3" and the standard bars are just not set for her short arms.

That's been my experience, too.

Bob Denman
04-25-2014, 09:47 AM
It sure sounds as if they'd be a very welcome addition...
GO FOR IT !:2thumbs:

Three Days! :shocked:
Tick... Tick... Tick... :D