PDA

View Full Version : RT front trunk won't latch

spyder456
04-24-2014, 04:22 PM
I have a 2011 RT-S, the front trunk won't latch. Any suggestions?

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 04:43 PM
:welcome: Check the gasket that goes around the top of the "frunk"... it could have become dislodged, and is gumming up the works. :thumbup:

Jim&Teresa
04-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Check on the Spyder where the latch is with the frunk open. My 2012 RT Limited's latch mechanism bolt (the receiver lock mechanism on the bike body) was loose and pushed the latch lock mechanism down some so it would not latch (this occurred with less than 500 miles on it when I bought it new last year).

Anyways, if that's it, I just closed the latch lock (manually) to put in in the lock position (with the frunk still open), loosen the latch lock bolt some, then used a screwdriver in the latch lock area to pull it up some, then tightened the bolt/nut so it would stay put. BEFORE closing your frunk to check, unlock the mechanism again so it can accept the frunk's latch bar.

Good luck! :thumbup:

jwulf74
04-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Mine does the same on and off... drop the lid and I just hear a loud Thunk. It acts like the latch and bar are out of alignment and with a little "persuasion" it will latch. Whatever it causing it is probably the same as whatever is preventing the lid from popping up by itself when I hit the button or turn the key. I have to unlock and hold and reach around and open it. It isn't the gasket on mine as I have checked it several times and the frunk is completely empty...

I have tried looking for adjustments to make, but all the bolts on the lid and the latch are in tight holes, not the slotted kind that would let anything move as afar as I can find so far anyway. :banghead:

Chupaca
04-24-2014, 06:13 PM
an alignment problem. Check that all latch parts are tight. If any are loose they may have moved. Make sure nothing is blocking the mechanisum or frunk is overfilled. Then when closing use a flashlight and try to see if the pin and latch are lined up. You may have to make the adjustment...:thumbup:

edmarino
04-24-2014, 06:14 PM
If it worked before then it is out of adjustment you are going to have to re-a line the parts. The latch bar and/or the latch.

cyclelover63
04-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Try a little WD-40 also

Jim&Teresa
04-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Mine does the same on and off... drop the lid and I just hear a loud Thunk. It acts like the latch and bar are out of alignment and with a little "persuasion" it will latch. Whatever it causing it is probably the same as whatever is preventing the lid from popping up by itself when I hit the button or turn the key. I have to unlock and hold and reach around and open it. It isn't the gasket on mine as I have checked it several times and the frunk is completely empty...

I have tried looking for adjustments to make, but all the bolts on the lid and the latch are in tight holes, not the slotted kind that would let anything move as afar as I can find so far anyway. :banghead:

Loosen the bolt on the latch locking mechanism on the bike, that is adjustable (at least on my 2012 RT). It moves up towards the top and can be pushed back as needed for a secure frunk closing. It's NOT on the frunk LID latching post - I don't think there's adjustment there.

flaggerphil
04-24-2014, 09:13 PM
My 2011 RT did the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they found the latch was a bit out of alignment. They said that happens from time to time. Took them 10 minutes to fix it at no charge.

FLNaturist
08-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Mine has done the same twice - would not latch. I found that the latch itself in the trunk can move too far down so that the bar, attach to the lid, cannot reach it. Simply pry up the latch mechanism gently with a screwdriver. Another cheap part on our beloved expensive 2012 RT.