PDA

View Full Version : I could use some advice

nytro
04-24-2014, 04:17 PM
I am the proud owner of a 2012 rts se5. Before I had a 1984 Honda Goldwing so you can imagine the change for me. I did notice that I have more wind now than I did with the Goldwing. My first purchase will be a windshield the second will be a bajaron sway bar. I am 6 feet tall and looking for a shield that blocks as much wind as possible any advice on the size and brand of shield would be appreciated.

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Cal-Sci and F4 make some pretty decent windshields for the RTs... :thumbup:
There are others; those two just popped into my feeble mind the quickest! :D

Purple Guy
04-24-2014, 04:38 PM
You might check out Madstad Engineering, A few riders on this site have put these on and everyone seems happy with them.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.888/.f

boomerkc
04-24-2014, 04:39 PM
make sure you have the windshield up as far as it goes. Since I had an RS previously, this is somewhat new to me to be able to raise, lower and adjust the windshield. Just sayin................

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Jim,
When you lower it; keep it JUST off the point where it bottoms out.
Popular opinions point to this as a potential source for the cracking of the center strut... :shocked:

Sarge707
04-24-2014, 05:11 PM
If you have the Stock 2012 windshield UP it should protect you quite well Unless you have like 70 Pounds pressure in the rear seat airbag which would raise the rear end up "A Lot?"
I,m 6' 210 and never put more than 15 pounds in the airbag for single No Cargo riding.

I have the Calsci which is much wider and probably provides the protection you need!!!

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 05:18 PM
:nopic: and the specs on that Cal-Sci? :thumbup:

boomerkc
04-24-2014, 05:20 PM
thanks for the "heads up". Knew about the issue of cracks occurring on some RT's but didn't know a potential solution was to keep it off the bottom.

Many thanks, see you next week at SF!!!!!

Jim,
Popular opinions point to this as a potential source for the cracking of the center strut... :shocked:

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 05:21 PM
PM sent... :shocked:

Silvervette05
04-24-2014, 08:26 PM
I to have a 12 rts you can raise the windshield up just to cover the wind over your head ;)

harrypottar
04-24-2014, 08:39 PM
If you're used to the wing bubble then a set of baker air wings may help as well.

harry

Sarge707
04-24-2014, 08:43 PM
:nopic: and the specs on that Cal-Sci? :thumbup:

Look it up yourself and provide the link for the person?

Bob Denman
04-25-2014, 06:45 AM
:shocked: :hun: What's up with that?

nytro
04-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the advice I was thinking CalSci or F4 windshield I just do not know what one is better. Do you know if you get a lot of wind from the vent and can you open or close the vent ?

Bob Denman
04-25-2014, 09:08 AM
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderRTprod.html

https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88

I hope that you can find what you need in the above links... :thumbup:

nytro
04-25-2014, 10:50 AM
When I finally was able to buy my spyder I read lot of posts here and I realize I wanted every add on there was I wanted windshield swaybar seat lights muffler well like I said I want it all but unfortunately I will have to save to buy 1 thing at a time over time. The good news is you really appreciate every upgrade more.

Bob Denman
04-25-2014, 11:03 AM
"Farkleosis" is fun; isn't it? :D

Sarge707
04-25-2014, 11:21 AM
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderRTprod.html

https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88

I hope that you can find what you need in the above links... :thumbup:

That's Better? I made you work for that post!!!:yikes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

DRTSB
04-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Look it up yourself and provide the link for the person?

That was rude!!

Dave ;)

Bob Denman
04-25-2014, 11:29 AM
That's Better? I made you work for that post!!!:yikes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Actually; I was just hoping to let somebody else lend a hand to the guy; he was actually asking some pretty good questions, and you had the best first-hand knowlefge... :thumbup:

CapNCrunch
04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=nytro;799116]I am the proud owner of a 2012 rts se5. Before I had a 1984 Honda Goldwing so you can imagine the change for me. I did notice that I have more wind now than I did with the Goldwing. My first purchase will be a windshield the second will be a bajaron sway bar. I am 6 feet tall and looking for a shield that blocks as much wind as possible any advice on the size and brand of shield would be appreciated.[/QUOT

I, too, am 6 feet tall, and got off an1984 Goldwing, and love my 2011 RTS SE-5. Changed out the stock windscreen for the CALSCI two years ago, and notice a terrific difference in the effects of SIDE WINDS. Don't get blown around as much, now, and NO you can't feel the rush of air through the vent in the CALSCI. That blast of air goes up, over your head. Much better than the stock item.
Ride safe,
CapNCrunch

nytro
04-25-2014, 01:21 PM
did you buy the xl size windshield?

StanProff
04-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Jim,

I discovered the ware marks on mine and posted about it some time back. ( NOTE: At the time I thought the bottom "strike" was metal but found it to be a hard plastic). When I lower mine I always touch it back up just a tad go get it off of the post.

StanProff
04-25-2014, 03:07 PM
I am the proud owner of a 2012 rts se5. Before I had a 1984 Honda Goldwing so you can imagine the change for me. I did notice that I have more wind now than I did with the Goldwing. My first purchase will be a windshield the second will be a bajaron sway bar. I am 6 feet tall and looking for a shield that blocks as much wind as possible any advice on the size and brand of shield would be appreciated.

The 2010 shields were much larger than the '12's , taller and wider . I have a short "wheelbase" and actually cut about 4 inches off of mine to get it down where I could see over it in the lowest position. Someone on the forum may have one to sell, .

Sarge707
04-25-2014, 05:05 PM
I have the XL on my 2012 RT and its great. In the summer Heat I put back the stock one which I cut 2 inches .

You need to check your air bag pressure and make sure its got some first and that its Not Too High. This is All explained in your user manual and there is also a chart Right under the seat to go by.

Hammertime
04-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Got a CalSci xl for my 2012 RTS -- vent is just an opening -- no why to close -- but thats not needed as this removes the low pressure area behind the windshield -- and for some reason -- rain doesnt go thru it!! I'm 6'4" -- with the windshield all the way up I look thru about 2" from the top -- I usually ride with windshield just off lowest point -- has a lot of wind coverage