PDA

View Full Version : 3k oil change

retread
08-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Called my dealer yesterday to set up my 3k oil change. Quoted me a price of $260.00 plus materials!!!! When I asked him about it, he said "well, it takes 3 hours, and we've got to hook it to the computer and check a bunch of other things." I think I'm looking for a different place for my Spyder business.

Hummer42
08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
The dealership charged me $130. $260 is absolutely nuts.

Called my dealer yesterday to set up my 3k oil change. Quoted me a price of $260.00 plus materials!!!! When I asked him about it, he said "well, it takes 3 hours, and we've got to hook it to the computer and check a bunch of other things." I think I'm looking for a different place for my Spyder business.

drifter
08-31-2008, 03:01 PM
I was told by my dealer it would cost $75 and thought that was high!

zzneonzz
08-31-2008, 03:43 PM

This sounds more like the 625 Mile service not the 3000 mile oil change. My Dealer charges i believe 90$-95$ for the oil change.

Spyderman62
08-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Is there any kind of standard that is available for the consumer to challenge the dealers on this crap? Lets get real. A specific service be it the 600 mile or a standard 3K oil change or a more elaborate major service should have a specific list of what get done, and the amount of hours it calls for in a service book - auto mechanic use a flat rate service guide that specifies that a certain procedure will cost .7 hours and at a given labor rate will cost XXX dollars! Why is it that after paying a lot of money, we can not seem to get a standard rate for specific service. You won't find that kind of gouging at a Honda or Harley shop! I am on the verge of contacting BRP and the local BBB. This crap is absurd and the more I think about it the madder I get. To top if off, I don't even have my fricken machine yet! aaaaaaaggggggghhhhh!

BAZMAN
08-31-2008, 05:39 PM
I PURCHASED MY SPYDER IN DENVER CO. WE HAVE NO DEALER IN NEW MEXICO. I HAD TO CHANGE THE OIL MYSELF. IT IS NOT AS EASY AS ON MY VTX 1300, MY HONDA DEALER WILL DO IT FOR ABOUT $20 LABOR PLUS PARTS. I BRING MY OWN OIL AMSOIL 10W40.
ON THE SPYDER YOU HAVE A LOT OF BODY PANELS TO TAKE OFF. THE OIL FILTER IS NOT A SPIN ON.
THERE A ARE LOT OF DIFFERENT FASTENERS AND BOLTS TO REMOVE AND REINSTALL. I TOOK MY TIME AND FEEL I DID A BETTER JOB.
I HAD TO ORDER MY PARTS FROM DENVER, WITH A DISCOUNT THE BRP OIL, FILTER ETC WERE $62 PLUS SHIPPING.
I DO NOT THINK YOU CAN DO A PROPER JOB IN .7 OF AN HOUR, AND FOR AN OIL CHANGE I DON'T THINK THEY PUT THEIR BEST MAN ON THE JOB. SO IF YOU GET YOUR OIL CHANGED FOR $130 INCLUDING PARTS AND LABOR YOU ARE GETTING A GOOD DEAL. $60 TO $75 IS LABOR IS TO MUCH FOR THIS RETIRED GUY. SO I WILL BE DOING MY OWN OIL CHANGES ON MY SPYDER.

AMTJIM
08-31-2008, 05:53 PM
I bought a "service" package for x amount of oil changes and scheduled services, I took the spyder in for it's 600 mile check which at the end they said was mainly an oil change...about $165.00 with parts...of course they were shocked when I asked them about the o-ring and drain washers..."O-yeah...they should be okay, only used 800 miles...a couple of us road your spyder around since we missed demo days...blah blah blah...now we know what it's like and that helps us...bring it back by between 1500 and 1800 for another oil change...the next service after that will be a big one."
So when 1500 rolled around I reconfirmed just an oil change and said I'd do it myself...asked them if they had the oil change kit and oil in stock..."Yes, we do!"...my opinion is...it should all be noted whats required for an "oil change" and either pick out the individual pieces or should have everything boxed in a kit(1 filter, 1 o-ring, 2 washers)...Since we are 30+ miles away and my wife was in the area of the shop I sent her by to pick it up...OK...a kit is 2 or more pieces...an oil filter by itself is not a kit! So she got home with the oil filter and oil and I called and asked where the required o-ring and washers are..."Huh???...just a second...Oh I see, yeah we have the o-ring and washers in stock...did you want those?" YES YOU FLIPPIN M.M.I. reject...we talked about this 2 weeks ago and just 15 minutes ago!!!
I went ahead did the oil change anyway, o-ring looked ok and the drain "crush washers" looked more like the copper washers we use and re-use(after annealing) on aircraft spark plugs. So with no jack and only removing the left cowl...it's not even worth $20.00 labor especially if I have to tell them how to do the job and they aren't willing to bust open the oil system again and install the new items required...my opinion. For me, the oil ran right out the socket holes...only a slight mop up was needed mainly from the oil filter cap...no runs, no drips, no errors. C'mon...get your hands dirty...do it yerself!

czdaryle
08-31-2008, 07:02 PM
I bought a "service" package for x amount of oil changes and scheduled services, I took the spyder in for it's 600 mile check which at the end they said was mainly an oil change...about $165.00 with parts...of course they were shocked when I asked them about the o-ring and drain washers..."O-yeah...they should be okay, only used 800 miles...a couple of us road your spyder around since we missed demo days...blah blah blah...now we know what it's like and that helps us...bring it back by between 1500 and 1800 for another oil change...the next service after that will be a big one."
So when 1500 rolled around I reconfirmed just an oil change and said I'd do it myself...asked them if they had the oil change kit and oil in stock..."Yes, we do!"...my opinion is...it should all be noted whats required for an "oil change" and either pick out the individual pieces or should have everything boxed in a kit(1 filter, 1 o-ring, 2 washers)...Since we are 30+ miles away and my wife was in the area of the shop I sent her by to pick it up...OK...a kit is 2 or more pieces...an oil filter by itself is not a kit! So she got home with the oil filter and oil and I called and asked where the required o-ring and washers are..."Huh???...just a second...Oh I see, yeah we have the o-ring and washers in stock...did you want those?" YES YOU FLIPPIN M.M.I. reject...we talked about this 2 weeks ago and just 15 minutes ago!!!
I went ahead did the oil change anyway, o-ring looked ok and the drain "crush washers" looked more like the copper washers we use and re-use(after annealing) on aircraft spark plugs. So with no jack and only removing the left cowl...it's not even worth $20.00 labor especially if I have to tell them how to do the job and they aren't willing to bust open the oil system again and install the new items required...my opinion. For me, the oil ran right out the socket holes...only a slight mop up was needed mainly from the oil filter cap...no runs, no drips, no errors. C'mon...get your hands dirty...do it yerself!

You had one a 600 miles and another at 1500 -1800 and then another at 3000? I thought it was 650 and then 3000?

AMTJIM
08-31-2008, 10:43 PM
Yes, I did it myself at 1700...I can't find anything in the owners manual that matches the tech data he was quoting, maybe a service update or he had no Spyder data and was using other BRP specs? That same day he said the 3000 miles was the first big check, but when I called on the oil change at 1700, he said he wasn't sure about the miles for the first big service and gave me an hour meter reading instead...Oh yeah, I sense having limp mode show up alot after I really let them touch ths thing...if the break it, they buy it!