PDA

View Full Version : Mileage difference premium vs regular gas

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Has anyone run enough tankfuls of each gas to definitely tell me how much difference there is in gas mileage on a '13 RT between running premium vs. running regular gas? Both would be 10% ethanol. I figure the mileage would need to be about 10% better with premium to pay for the price difference.

Please, let's squelch comments about ethanol vs non-ethanol, and merits of 87 vs 91 octane. I know 91 is recommended, but minimum 87 is required. So far, in 700 miles I have not noticed any knocking, etc., by using regular.

SNOOPY
04-23-2014, 08:00 PM
My only squabble about this subject is that between using regular and premium in a years time what is the difference? $50? $75? $100?

To me personally it's not enough difference to worry about?

Now perhaps people are on tighter budgets than I understand.

Larry rt
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
I see a difference of about 10mpg ! Only use premium !

MikeinGA
04-23-2014, 08:38 PM
I see a difference of about 10mpg ! Only use premium !

Here in Ga. a gal. of 91 premium is $3.90. With the 10 mpg increase and a 5 gal. fill up, to go up to premium it's a cost of $1.65 and it the gas savings of 1.5 gallons @ $3.90 is $5.85. I would run premium and I do. That's IMHO.

Mike

MikeinGA
04-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Has anyone run enough tankfuls of each gas to definitely tell me how much difference there is in gas mileage on a '13 RT between running premium vs. running regular gas? Both would be 10% ethanol. I figure the mileage would need to be about 10% better with premium to pay for the price difference.

Please, let's squelch comments about ethanol vs non-ethanol, and merits of 87 vs 91 octane. I know 91 is recommended, but minimum 87 is required. So far, in 700 miles I have not noticed any knocking, etc., by using regular.

The Spyders have a anti-knock technology, it lets you a lesser grade of gas at a loss of mpg. That's IMHO.

Mike

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-23-2014, 09:46 PM
If mileage were to increase 5 mpg, which would be about a 20% increase, using premium would actually be a money saver. Is 5 mpg increase realistic? I'm skeptical about the 10 mpg increase claim.

On a related note, how much might mpg increase from new to about 3,000 to 5,000 after the engine is loosened up good? I'm wondering how long I ought to wait before switching to premium in order to get a valid comparison between regular and premium without engine wear-in influencing the numbers? There's about 1300 on the bike now.

dadof4
04-23-2014, 09:52 PM
I tried 87 octane a couple of time and actually did not see that much of a difference. That being said I'm now using premium all the time just because I'm pretty sure my Spyder thinks it tastes better.

Lagaffe
04-23-2014, 10:09 PM
With my Spyder or with my cars, i NEVER see any difference...

Chupaca
04-23-2014, 10:12 PM
You would have to really run two of the same roadsters with the same amount of gas on the same path to find out. There are to many things that affect mileage. But then again if you using premium for mileage only your missing the point. There are many more benefits and for a dollar and pennies difference per tank seems you would want to use the better fuel. My RS using premium gas can vary from 27 to 40 mpg. I used to check every time but have gotten to the point of just putting gas in and enjoying the ryde..whats one less dollar burger a week...:roflblack:

Lagaffe
04-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Why want tu save cents when you bought a 30 000$ machine ?

Just put in the tank what the manufacturer recommend.

I put regular gas in my car but premium in my Spyder, my snowmobile and my Lawn mower...

ulflyer
04-24-2014, 06:25 AM
With my Spyder or with my cars, i NEVER see any difference...

+1. Ran several tanks of prem in my '11 and saw no diff in mpg or performance. Whatever makes you feel good, and whatever your wallet allows, is the way to go.:D Will give it another test when I get more miles on the '14.

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 06:46 AM
I ran some 87 as an experiment with my 998 several years' ago; I saw a bit over a 2 mpg drop.

jcthorne
04-24-2014, 08:56 AM

No, Minimum 91 is required. Read the certification label on the bike frame under your seat. Forget the outdated owners manual.

Magdave
04-24-2014, 08:56 AM
I ran some 87 as an experiment with my 998 several years' ago; I saw a bit over a 2 mpg drop.

Much more realistic Bob not by 10mpg. That said there are several reasons NOT to use 93 these days. 1st it sits in the underground tank longer collection more condensation. Very few car require it these days. Old gas is Old gas. Do you use last years gas in your mower? 2nd It has a lower boiling point as the octane goes up the boiling point goes down and we all know about the Spyder gas fume problem. Personally I use 89 or 91 if I can find it but shy away from 93. I have seen no difference in MPG with 89 over 93. I DID see a difference with non ethanol real gas 87 over all ethanol brands of 3mpg. Ethanol also lowers the boiling point and as posted elsewhere here increases engine operating temperature. I would pay more if needed but I see no benefit and possible risk to using 93. Better to use "Real Gas".

jcthorne
04-24-2014, 08:57 AM
The Spyders have a anti-knock technology, it lets you a lesser grade of gas at a loss of mpg. That's IMHO.

Mike

And a significant loss of performance with the reduced timing. The long term effects of the reduced timing are significant carbon build up in the heads and increased exhaust temperatures. Use the required fuel grade. The knock sensors are there to protect you if you get some bad gas, not to allow you to run out of spec gas continuously.

Bob Denman
04-24-2014, 09:29 AM
...On a separate thread in the "1330" area...
I do run 93 octane, and the new bike likes it just fine! :thumbup: