PDA

View Full Version : No Danger Pay

retirednick
04-23-2014, 04:24 PM
As a retired service person (35 years) this has definately raised my blood pressure. Just an excerpt from CTV News

At least sixteen Canadian soldiers who are being deployed to Kabul for a special mission next month have been told not to expect danger pay, despite frequent attacks in the Afghan capital, CTV News has learned.

The troops assigned to Operation Addenda will provide security to the Canadian embassy in Kabul, and protect the Ambassador and staff, but they have been told not to expect any danger pay during the six-month mission.

Critics say the move doesn’t make sense, given the increasing violence in Kabul. Last month, an attack on a luxury hotel in the city killed nine people, including two Canadian women.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-soldiers-headed-to-kabul-told-not-to-expect-danger-pay-1.1788026#ixzz2zkMdKDIq

Bob Denman
04-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Politicians...They're all the same! :gaah::cus::banghead:

Flanker
04-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Hey! Did a tour there in '06-'07 with ******** working a PSD gig on two different programs. Had the pleasure of providing PSD on a counter narcotics op for a couple of Canadian principals, and was colocated and/or worked with Canadian forces extensively on a number of common issues in both programs. Great people and experience!

What you describe in you post is BS of the worst order. If you haven't already..................contact your provincial and national reps/senators/MPs etc, and respectfully let them know how wrong this decision is and why. Good luck, and keep us posted! :thumbup:

Chupaca
04-23-2014, 07:10 PM
They should get hazard pay for going over there. Any soldier in a war zone should..jmo..:gaah:

Flash Gordon
04-23-2014, 07:24 PM
:agree:

bruiser
04-23-2014, 07:49 PM
They folks you speak of are going in to a combat zone. Hello? Anybody there? Hmmm, the lights are on but nobody is home.

M109Dreamer
04-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Wow....and Kabul has been the hot zone for the last few years. Especially on civilian and political targets in that area. Flew over that place daily, I think people should get double times for walking the streets of Kabul.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

USAFE7RET
04-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Last month, the pentagon put out a list of areas that would no longer qualify for hazardous duty, combat pay, whatever you want to call it, and Afghanistan was on the list, while more calm areas, Turkey, still qualified. Go figure.

M109Dreamer
04-24-2014, 02:53 PM
I wonder how they would justify that after the first mortor or IED kills someone. Sounds like just a $$$ thing coming from the pentagon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk