PDA

View Full Version : Limp Mode

DriftersWay
04-22-2014, 09:43 PM
I'd like to get an idea what limp mode is to be used for.
Can it be used to drive back home or is it just to be used to get off the road ??

Thanks for any info

SpyderAnn01
04-22-2014, 10:00 PM
I guess that would depend on how far home is. What I would suggest if you go into Limp Mode is to stop and first check for codes. On an RT push the Mode Set button and the Turn Signal Cancel button at the same time. Write down the codes and check them out on Rattigan Rogers neat app. Turn the Spyder off and walk away with the key (15' or so) turn it back on and see if Limp Mode goes away. Very often this will clear the Limp Mode and you will be good to go the distance.

Also, something to remember is that Limp Mode no longer drops your speed like it used to but instead it limits your RPMs (5,000 on a 2013s an older- not sure on the 2014) so this allows you to get up to and maintain highway speed - you just have to shift at low RPMs.

Chupaca
04-22-2014, 10:14 PM
The idea is to allow you to get to a shop by limiting any stress on the problem. Never had it so can't say but if it is a really serious issue you will not be able to continue. Limp mode can be as little as a burnt break light. As stated above the best is to see if the code shows up and you can see what the problem is.. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-22-2014, 10:46 PM
All good advice above. It allows you to get to a shop or home in most cases.

SpyderAnn01
04-23-2014, 06:05 PM
I must have jinxed myself. :banghead: Went into Limp Mode today on the freeway was nearly at speed so for a while I was okay keeping up with traffic but then I went uphill and it was a bit harder. I finally was able to turn it off and back on, while I was riding, and Limp Mode went away. I had a bunch of codes which pointed to VSS and yaw sensor. Right before it went into limp mode I was hit by a really big gust of wind so I am thinking that caused it. The codes cleared when I shut it off and they didn't come back again.

ARtraveler
04-23-2014, 06:12 PM
I must have jinxed myself. :banghead: Went into Limp Mode today on the freeway was nearly at speed so for a while I was okay keeping up with traffic but then I went uphill and it was a bit harder. I finally was able to turn it off and back on, while I was riding, and Limp Mode went away. I had a bunch of codes which pointed to VSS and yaw sensor. Right before it went into limp mode I was hit by a really big gust of wind so I am thinking that caused it. The codes cleared when I shut it off and they didn't come back again.

You are giving me a bit of a scare--but--the computer does indeed show us who's in charge sometimes. :yes:

SpyderAnn01
04-23-2014, 06:16 PM
You are giving me a bit of a scare--but--the computer does indeed show us who's in charge sometimes. :yes:

I wasn't scared but a bit worried since I'm leaving on Sunday for Spyderfest. I'm hoping that I got the freak Limp Mode occurrence out of the way and I will have an uneventful trip.

russj_20
04-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Kind of depends on other factors. I sure wouldn't ride more than I had to if I had low oil pressure or overheating when in limp mode. I have seen some weird things happen though such as a CB causing a VSS code which in turn put the unit into limp mode. Most VSS codes will reset when cycling the key. I would first try cycling the key and if the code is still there, well use your best judgment...