PDA

View Full Version : Both Oil Drain Plugs are T40 on mine

ulflyer
04-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Changed oil last evening and both plugs on mine are T40. Someone previously reported they used a T40 and T45, but the T45 definitely did not work on either of mine. If anyone needs a T45 let me know and I'll bring it to you at SF next week. I have several for some reason! :)

BTW, that filter change is really easy once you remove the tupperware and the black inner protector (or whatever its called). Only problem is you need a 36mm socket to remove the cover. You might be able to use some other tool but the socket is best....they cost about $9 at Lowes.

Hammertime
04-22-2014, 07:51 AM
check this out -- my 2012 RTS SM5 -- reservoir plug 6mm -- crankcase plug 40 torx -- replacing them both with gold hex head plugs

garb55
04-22-2014, 09:32 AM
My 2014 is T40 and T45
the thing I don't like is the T 40 is sloppy in the bolt and I checked all different sizes and even hex wrenches to see if I could find anything
that would fit tighter
Don

ulflyer
04-22-2014, 04:17 PM
My 2014 is T40 and T45
the thing I don't like is the T 40 is sloppy in the bolt and I checked all different sizes and even hex wrenches to see if I could find anything
that would fit tighter
Don

Don, you're right about the T40 being sloppy. I have a couple and both were that way. In fact, the engine drain plug felt as tho it was going to strip, so I used the time honored method of whacking the edge of the bolt with a hammer and chisel. That loosened it nicely. I put it back on with the T40 and it felt like it tightened well enough. I used this same procedure on the first oil change with no resulting leaks so I guess it was tight enough. I'd replace the darn thing but at $40 I will wait as long as I can. :D

I was tempted to lightly hammer in a hex that would almost, but not quite fit. Maybe If I strip it with a T40 I'll try the hex.

Trickie Dick
04-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Must have changed. On my GS it was a 6mm for the tank and engine. A 5mm was used on the oil filters. I went to the gold plugs on my RT so I don't know now. I do know that using a torex on the 5mm or 6mm was a very good way to round out the plugs. The torex was close so it was a mistake easily made.

Chupaca
04-22-2014, 09:50 PM
They had a mix up with a batch of american size and metric. This would account for a sloppy/loose fit and a good one. See no reason to have two different drain plug sizes. But then again.....:dontknow: RS 2012 both the same.