PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Thumbs

Bogie
04-21-2014, 11:43 AM
With only 22 miles on her now I set off to work this morning in the dark hours before dawn.
I had a heck of a time with my left thumb trying to figure out where the turn signal button was (kept hitting the horn) and
when I did a lane change had trouble cancelling the turnsignal. The guy behind me probably thought I was turning left, then right, no left again.
I guess I need to train the thumb better.
But...I never stopped smiling!

lwrydr
04-21-2014, 11:49 AM
I had the same problem until I figured out if you push the knob straignt in it turns the blinker off...have fun on your ride....

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Every once in a while; I STILL forget that rasing or lowering the windshield, will not sound the horn... :opps:

NorCalBud
04-21-2014, 12:05 PM
I have the same trouble, still after over 3k. Stubborn left signal... The Right is EASY, but in order to get the Left to work, I sorta need to push down slightly as I pull it left. And it is a bit Touchy for lane changes! When you push straight in (that what I'm trying to do) I activate the left... I just make a habit of checking for flashing lights on the dash every couple of minutes.
But I'm still Rydin!!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Wait until you want to flick your lights at somebody, AND hit your horn at about the same time... :shocked:
I shut the bike off, and cried for twenty minutes!

jtpollock
04-21-2014, 12:19 PM
This works for me just use your hand signal’s and enjoy the ride :yikes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-21-2014, 12:50 PM
The turn signal button and horn button on my Goldwing were in pretty much the same location as on the Spyder. Much of the time I still have to look down to make sure I have my thumb in the right place, and that's after 8 years and over 50,000 miles! Some of us never learn! :banghead:

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 12:56 PM
This is actually one of the 10 reasons why Spyder Riders Don't wave...
Moving your hand from the left grip makes it impossible to perform any of those left-hand tasks; without a serious re-acquaintence of the two!

Silvervette05
04-21-2014, 01:28 PM
I have the same trouble, still after over 3k. Stubborn left signal... The Right is EASY, but in order to get the Left to work, I sorta need to push down slightly as I pull it left. And it is a bit Touchy for lane changes! When you push straight in (that what I'm trying to do) I activate the left... I just make a habit of checking for flashing lights on the dash every couple of minutes.
But I'm still Rydin!!! :thumbup:
:agree::agree:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Moving your hand from the left grip makes it impossible to perform any of those left-hand tasks; without a serious re-acquaintence of the two!
I guess I better quit being a friendly Spyder Ryder and stop waving at Harleys and wings! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

ValCruzSpyder
04-21-2014, 02:02 PM

I'm kinda' glad to see I'm not the only one this has happened too!! :roflblack: And I thought I was just different.

scarecrow
04-21-2014, 02:05 PM
The One thing I do miss about my 1973 sportster was the way HD did the turn signals. It was a push and hold button on both the right and the left handlebars. You'd hold the button the signal was on. Let go and it was off. Didn't have to worry about canceling it. Again THAT was the only thing I miss about that sportster. lol

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
[........and so forth.]

And the top ten reasons Spyder ryders don't wave back are......???????

:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Princeau99
04-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Twice I have gone to upshift and went for the "Clutch" and did unexpected down shift. Very exciting.

ARtraveler
04-21-2014, 03:04 PM
The buttons become second nature after a while. I still have to think about the horn--since I do not hardly ever use it. Honk at somebody when they tick you off--they may shoot back. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 03:36 PM

how about if you guys fill in the blanks??
I gave you one;'what are the others. :dontknow: :D

ARCTIC
04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54951-Why-spyder-riders-don-t-wave

vondalyn
04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
With only 22 miles on her now I set off to work this morning in the dark hours before dawn.
I had a heck of a time with my left thumb trying to figure out where the turn signal button was (kept hitting the horn) and
when I did a lane change had trouble cancelling the turnsignal. The guy behind me probably thought I was turning left, then right, no left again.
I guess I need to train the thumb better.
But...I never stopped smiling!

I had the same problem when I first started riding mine. I did that so often at first, I finally started taking a quick glance at the controls to see what I was reaching for. Thankfully I can now say I can find everything with just my thumb and without having to look. I do a quick" where's the horn" runthrough fairly often because a few months back I meant to honk the horn at some car who decided they needed my lane and I hit the turn signal instead of the horn. Luckily my right hand found the throttle before I could even think through the horn/turn signal stuff going on with the left hand :shocked:

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 03:51 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54951-Why-spyder-riders-don-t-wave
Ahhhh.... You've spoilt the fun! :D