PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT Limited Start Up Noise?

ThreeWire72
04-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Has anyone had a clangy metal noise on initial start up? Noise goes away within 15 seconds after initial start up. Sorry I can not describe it any better. Thanks for your help. The bike is a 2014 RT Limited and has 600+ trouble free miles, no other issues...........except the " key recall ". Been riding this machine to break in for my wife. I am a two wheeler Harley rider...........I must say, I really like this machine.

SpyderAnn01
04-21-2014, 12:05 AM
No, I have never heard that noise on either of the 2014s that I have ridden.

ThreeWire72
04-21-2014, 12:17 AM
No, I have never heard that noise on either of the 2014s that I have ridden.

You have much experience with these machines. I am beginning to think it might have something to do with the alternator? I noticed that the sound goes away at the time the lights get bright again after start up. Hope it is that simple..........thanks again.

SpyderAnn01
04-21-2014, 12:20 AM
There is a humming sound that goes away after you hit the Mode button, but I would not say that it is metallic sounding.

Chupaca
04-21-2014, 12:24 AM
But they have had some mention of the new clutches. If the hydraulics in the clutch have to charge up it could cause the noise. Hydraulic valve lifters made a clatter till oil filled in. Have the dealer have a listen...:thumbup:

ThreeWire72
04-21-2014, 12:33 AM
But they have had some mention of the new clutches. If the hydraulics in the clutch have to charge up it could cause the noise. Hydraulic valve lifters made a clatter till oil filled in. Have the dealer have a listen...:thumbup:

Good point Chupaca. Never thought about that? Being that it is still very low mileage..........might very well be the noise. Sounds like you are much like me? When I get something new, I need to learn all the " sounds ". Know your machine and what it sounds like..........that is good for bikes, boats, aircraft and cars. Thanks for your help.

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Can you give us an idea of where you think that the noise is coming from? :shocked:
I've heard nothing too unusual from under mine; I'll try listening more closely to the startup sequence this morning...

ThreeWire72
04-21-2014, 08:56 PM
I would agree that on start up there is a minor "rattle" that is gone very quickly. Our machine has done it from day one. Not loud, not in any way discouraging, or a worry for me. I sort of felt that as mentioned it was the SE clutch picking up fluid.

If you do run it to the dealer, you may need to leave it overnight, I never notice it after the first start of the day.

Once fired up and warmed up, the clutch and gearbox work fine. With cold oil and a cool engine, the gearbox does clunk into gear getting it out of the garage. Again nothing I am to worked up over.

FWIW, our machine is just over 1300 miles.

PK
That is exactly the noise. After riding and stopping for fuel............no noise. Either the clutch or the lifters? The dealer has not heard the noise, but I don't think they have had many machines to play with yet. Thanks for taking the time my friend.

ThreeWire72
04-21-2014, 09:06 PM

Think you and PMK got it solved. I am thinking it is the clutch. When I get a definitive answer from the dealer, I will pass it on. Thanks very much for your time. BTW, lived out your way many years ago when in the Navy, at NAS North Island. Had a good friend that flew with Pacific Southwest Airlines that lived at Mt. Helix. I remember it was a beautiful place! Thanks again.

SpyderAnn01
04-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm glad you figured it out. I have a manual transmission - no noise with it.

ThreeWire72
04-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Can you give us an idea of where you think that the noise is coming from? :shocked:
I've heard nothing too unusual from under mine; I'll try listening more closely to the startup sequence this morning...

Hello Bob, hard to tell the location at present? Going to research about the clutch and lifters being the possible problem. The sound goes away after riding the bike and starting while still warm. Just saw PMK's post, something else to consider. I have a Powrachute light aircraft with a Rotax 100hp engine. I herd cattle with at at 20'. I trust the engine very much (a little different engine, but well made) Time will tell. Thank you all for your time and effort.

Nils888
04-21-2014, 11:54 PM
I am thinking Timing chain rattle till oil presser builds up.

Bob Denman
04-22-2014, 07:40 AM
I put my "Hard-Rock" tuned ears to the task yesterday morning... :shocked:
The bike IS a bit noisier than my old one when it first fires up. My guess; is that it's got to do with getting the oil pressure up and everyting circulating nicely... ;)

Spyderjuice
04-22-2014, 09:11 AM
I have noticed more noise when you first crank the motor and then it gets quieter after a short warm up. However, I find the 1330 engine noisy in general. I couldn't tell you if the muffler is there or not (I know if there was no muffler it would be loud). All I hear is engine noise riding down the road. Any body else notice this?

Stan

Omcge
04-22-2014, 10:16 AM
I have noticed more noise when you first crank the motor and then it gets quieter after a short warm up. However, I find the 1330 engine noisy in general. I couldn't tell you if the muffler is there or not (I know if there was no muffler it would be loud). All I hear is engine noise riding down the road. Any body else notice this?

Stan

I also hear a lot of engine noise up to about 50 mph on my 14 RTL, thought I was the only one .I did a cat delete and a Magnaflo straight thru exhaust to drown out the sewing machine noise, but it was too lean and very sluggish off the line. I kept trying smaller baffles from 2" down to 1" and it would be a little better but it sounds too much like a small car and still lean.

My 13 RtL with Kewl Metal intake, cat delete, Yoshimere 77 exhaust, power commander is much faster and more fun to drive. It will spin rear tire from a rolling start in 1'st and 2'nd gear. My 14 RTL won't do that, it has a delay and doesn't pull very good till it gets above 4 thou.

So I am in the process of going back to the stock muffler with the cat delete and I guess use ear plugs till some one comes up with a fuel management for the 14's.

iSpyder
05-12-2014, 05:04 PM
I just rode my 2014 RTS home for the first time. To me, the sound reminds me kinda of a diesel truck sound. Is that an accurate description or should I take it back to the mechanic? :shocked:

cjackg
05-12-2014, 05:55 PM
I just rode my 2014 RTS home for the first time. To me, the sound reminds me kinda of a diesel truck sound. Is that an accurate description or should I take it back to the mechanic? :shocked:Seems I heard this same comment about the time the '14s first came out but not lately...

Guess no one wants to think a Spyder sounds like a diesel truck....nojoke

den1953
05-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Having had two Triumph triples (1996 900cc Adventurer and 2010 Rocket III Touring) I can say they do not sound that much like diesel engines. Think of them as one bank of a V6 engine. The Adventurer had a rather loud aftermarket muffler and at certain RPMs reminded me of a WWII fighter plane (think Spitfire or P51 Mustang) swooping. The 2300cc Rocket had the Triumph performance slip-ons and at 50-60 mph reminded me more of a marine engine (think old Chris-Craft boats with inline six or straight eight engines). I haven't yet experenced a Spyder RT with the 1330 ACE yet but I'm willing to bet it falls somewhere in between the two Triumphs that I've had sound wise.

sddinnh
05-13-2014, 07:32 AM

Stan

About the same for me. I thought it was considerably noisier than my 2 wheel bikes, but I have nothing to compare it to, since this is my first one. It goes into the dealer Friday to get the BajaRon bar put on and a few other things, so I'll have them give a listen and see if they hear anything they shouldn't.

Dragon Snake
05-17-2014, 06:11 PM
I just rode my 2014 RTS home for the first time. To me, the sound reminds me kinda of a diesel truck sound. Is that an accurate description or should I take it back to the mechanic? :shocked:

That is what I thought when I first rode my 14. When you come back down though the gears (sm6) it sounds like a semi jake brake. Very cool I think. My engine at 60 is so Quiet that I have to turn down my tunes. Way different then my 11 rts. I really love this machine.:doorag:

Bob Denman
05-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Does it sound like this? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ

Dragon Snake
05-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Does it sound like this? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ

That's it Daddy-o. To me It sounds like starter run on for just a couple of secs.

Bob Denman
05-17-2014, 06:34 PM
:D It just seemed kind of appropriate in here... :roflblack:
"Wipe-Out..." :shocked:

Flash Gordon
05-17-2014, 07:47 PM
I agree with the engine sounding like a small diesel. Now that I have grown accustomed to it, I don't notice it quite so much. When you first start it, it is very noisy, but I let it run for 30 or 45 seconds until I think it is well lubed and back it out of the garage and it is less noisy once it warms up. The engine itself is a lot more nosier than the 2013 RT-L that I had, but it is much quieter once you get it up to 40 or 50 mph. It is what it is. I like it a lot. :yes:

GWCruiser
05-11-2016, 06:09 PM
About the same for me. I thought it was considerably noisier than my 2 wheel bikes, but I have nothing to compare it to, since this is my first one. It goes into the dealer Friday to get the BajaRon bar put on and a few other things, so I'll have them give a listen and see if they hear anything they shouldn't.

When you change oil and filter you expect some noise, but every time its started cold, the timing chain rattle, Anyone else having this problem????? On the chevy 2.2 Ecotec at work we change the chain tensioner, because the spring thats suppose to keep chain tight until oil pressure builds up gets weak, that solves the problem. The 1330 motor has the same type tensioner with spring, but reading all the comments about noise when started, makes me think
its the same problem. On the 2.2 motors its about 2 hours work, but the Spyders its a lot of work

pitzerwm
05-12-2016, 12:07 AM
When I ran a carwash forum, one time a guy sent me a mp3/wma of the sound, I posted it and within an hour the problem was solved. I don't think that a mp3/wma can be posted here directly, but if the OP wants to send it to me, I can post it on my site and it would be able to be listened to. I see you can post a video which would have the audio. Worth a try. My 14 seems somewhat load, but I really don't have a reference.

teninospyder
06-06-2018, 10:36 PM
I've read thru the posts on this subject that I could locate here in S.L., and listened to ours today while out for 3.5 hours with start and stop at multiple times along the way. initial start after sitting for a few days, Cold drinks at rest stops, bathroom break, ice cream stop, and gas on way home. 160 miles total. My main conclusion (opinion) is that the noise only occurred at the initial start-up. It was not noticeable (to me) at any of the follow-on shutdown/startups. I am thinking it is merely the system being replenished with oil after the drain back we are all familiar with based on the oil level test procedure. Sitting for "some period" will cause it (overnight?), while shorter times between shutdown and startup won't. All of this of course is IMHO. Any more thoughts on this issue from others?

UtahPete
06-06-2018, 11:24 PM
I have noticed more noise when you first crank the motor and then it gets quieter after a short warm up. However, I find the 1330 engine noisy in general. I couldn't tell you if the muffler is there or not (I know if there was no muffler it would be loud). All I hear is engine noise riding down the road. Any body else notice this? Stan
Same here.

UtahPete
06-06-2018, 11:25 PM
I've read thru the posts on this subject that I could locate here in S.L., and listened to ours today while out for 3.5 hours with start and stop at multiple times along the way. initial start after sitting for a few days, Cold drinks at rest stops, bathroom break, ice cream stop, and gas on way home. 160 miles total. My main conclusion (opinion) is that the noise only occurred at the initial start-up. It was not noticeable (to me) at any of the follow-on shutdown/startups. I am thinking it is merely the system being replenished with oil after the drain back we are all familiar with based on the oil level test procedure. Sitting for "some period" will cause it (overnight?), while shorter times between shutdown and startup won't. All of this of course is IMHO. Any more thoughts on this issue from others?
:agree:

larryd
06-07-2018, 08:37 AM
There was another thread on this same subject some time ago...Check it out...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?111746-Cam-chain-tensioner-problem

billybovine
06-07-2018, 10:30 AM

I really don't find my new F3 limited that noisy. But my hearing may be considered questionable by some that know me. The hydraulic lifters will make a little extra noise until the the oil pressure builds up. The same goes for the timing chain, since the tensioner is oil charged. I have not done an oil change yet but what Shawn Smoak described in one of his videos. It sounds like someone dumped a bag of nuts and bolts into the engine for a few seconds after startup.

teninospyder
06-07-2018, 11:21 AM
I really don't find my new F3 limited that noisy. But my hearing may be considered questionable by some that know me. The hydraulic lifters will make a little extra noise until the the oil pressure builds up. The same goes for the timing chain, since the tensioner is oil charged. I have not done an oil change yet but what Shawn Smoak described in one of his videos. It sounds like someone dumped a bag of nuts and bolts into the engine for a few seconds after startup.

Thanks Billy. Nuts and bolts raddling around is a good description of the sound. Luckily, as I think I proved to myself yesterday, it doesn't last more than a very few seconds and only on initial day's startup. I'm inclined right now to give it an "OK" status and chalk it up to another "Spyder learning experience" - a number of which have occurred lately as I prepare us for our long trip in a few weeks. :clap::ohyea:

Thanks for your input. :cheers:

Revalden
11-13-2018, 12:57 AM
If the Spyder oil filters have an anti drain back valve it should keep the oil galleries filled with oil and pretty much prevent noisy hydraulic lifters, shouldn't it?