PDA

View Full Version : Easy Access on Spyder ST-S for faster Oil Changes

clueless
04-20-2014, 09:29 PM
I did my first own oil change (done tons on the 2010 RT-S).. but first on the ST-S and got to removing the plastic shield underneath the Oil Filter and Engine Drain bolt area. I have the highway pegs which are mounted under that same plate (pain to remove as well)...

I didnt like taking the whole panel out just from the fact of dirt and mud etc going up into the lower engine area. I know Lamont and others just get rid of the panel. Instead I decided to take out the dremmel and cut a section 5.5 inches deep and 4 inches wide to open up the area under the filter and the engine drain plug. so next time just take off the lower panel and I can reach the engine drain plug and drain both plugs with out taking off bottom shield. still have some splash protection ...

still need to take off lower cover to remove the oil filter. NOTE this is a SM5 so I have not transmission filter to change.

Link to Photo Album of Pictures (https://www.dropbox.com/sc/kih9b6erag1jgui/4pYKBuac-N)

The first pictures you can see where I marked the panel for where I wanted to cut. the later pics show after. I wanted to leave enough of the panel to retain the structure when installed still so it would still stay up.