PDA

View Full Version : What octane is everybody using

MDM 53
04-20-2014, 07:27 PM
I've heard you must use 93 octane in the 1330?

bodymanpainter
04-20-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm using 93 but did put 89 in once and the bike seemed to run ok but will
keep using the 93 as that's what is recommended.
Toby

Chupaca
04-20-2014, 07:50 PM
The recomandation is just that. Outside the US gasolines are different. Our 87 works fine and will not damage anything. For sure the higher the better and as I have said for a buck difference per tank why not go with the best. I use all of them 87-100+ racing fuel..now that is fun...:thumbup:

Silvervette05
04-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Hi test in mine ;)

Dragon Snake
04-20-2014, 08:38 PM
93 or better just like in my 11 RT-S:doorag:

boomerkc
04-20-2014, 08:49 PM
91 octane no ethanol. Here in Overland Park, KS, I get it at Hy-Vee. Use the station locator www.pure-gas.org when I'm other places.

Knarfoh
04-20-2014, 08:55 PM
91 octane no ethanol. Here in Overland Park, KS, I get it at Hy-Vee. Use the station locator www.pure-gas.org (http://www.pure-gas.org) when I'm other places.
Locally, the only place for no ethanol are 2 boat marinas each around 30 miles away (and the pumps are located on the docks).

After just a few fill-ups, went from 87 to 93. Some places I have ridden only go as high as 91.

Locally, 93 is 20˘ more then 87 so usually costs me around 80˘ to a dollar for the difference.

2012 RT-S SM5.

jcthorne
04-21-2014, 06:01 AM
The 2013s require 91 or greater according to the emissions certification label. Not sure what that labels states on the 2014s. Its on the frame under the seat.

I did put 87 in mine once by accident and will endeavor to not do that again. The difference in performance was VERY noticeable as the ecm pulls a bunch of timing to eliminate preignition detected by the knock sensor.

sassoman
04-21-2014, 07:17 AM
Tried 89 this weekend on trip and did not see any difference in mileage or performance. Some places the difference in price was 40 cents per gallon,so I thought I would try the 89 and it did not seem to hurt anything ,no spark knock,no loss off power.

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 07:32 AM
93... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Our choices here are mostly 87, 88, and 90. I put 90 into my :spyder2:'s. No ethanol in our gas. When I have a choice of 87 only, the :ani29: do not seem to be as "peppy."

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 03:44 PM
They're not... :shocked:
they can handle the cheaper swill; but for about a dollar's saving on a fill-up, I'd rather feed it what the factory suggests! :2thumbs:

Illinois Boy
04-21-2014, 07:32 PM
With running the risk of ticking some people off...
You pay $20 to $30k for a vehicle and consider using something other than what the manufacturer (engineers) recommend? :banghead:

There are reasons why fuel octane ranges are recommended -- however, having said that, I'll bet a case of beer there will be someone post on this thread with a long list of reasons why they know best and use whatever they want in their Spyder, and that it is better than the manufacturer recommends. :roflblack: Just another reason I do not buy used vehicles. ;)

Most people do not even understand what octane ratings mean. Some believe the higher the octane the better the fuel; which cannot be any further from the truth.

Octane has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel; as so many uninformed seem to believe. If it did then everyone would use "rocket-fuel" in their vehicles.

In the most of layman's terms, octane relates to the "burn-rate" of the fuel; and various engines require specific burn-rates to work properly as designed to get the most from the engine and prevent damage over the long-term.

Use what the manual says to use... there is a reason they provide the suggestion.

Again... another reason I do not buy used vehicles.

Sorry if this ticks anyone off or offends them...

ARtraveler
04-21-2014, 08:07 PM
You pay $20 to $30k for a vehicle and consider using something other than what the manufacturer (engineers) recommend? :banghead:

There are reasons why fuel octane ranges are recommended -- however, having said that, I'll bet a case of beer there will be someone post on this thread with a long list of reasons why they know best and use whatever they want in their Spyder, and that it is better than the manufacturer recommends. :roflblack: Just another reason I do not buy used vehicles. ;)

Most people do not even understand what octane ratings mean. Some believe the higher the octane the better the fuel; which cannot be any further from the truth.

Octane has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel; as so many uninformed seem to believe. If it did then everyone would use "rocket-fuel" in their vehicles.

In the most of layman's terms, octane relates to the "burn-rate" of the fuel; and various engines require specific burn-rates to work properly as designed to get the most from the engine and prevent damage over the long-term.

Use what the manual says to use... there is a reason they provide the suggestion.

Your opinion is good. No one should get ticked off. I like to play with numbers. It's the accountant/CPA in me. I like to hear about Octane--but with all the variables possible--I will bet someone could write a PHD thesis on the subject and still not completely nail it.

Cruzr Joe
04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Are you talking about when i am drinking or gassin up the ryde???

Cruzr Joe

MidTNDawg
04-21-2014, 08:09 PM
I am using the same thing I put in my 2012. I run non-ethanol 87. Performance continues to be good and my mpg is in the high 30's. When I filled up yesterday, my mpg was 39.67.

Marker
04-21-2014, 08:12 PM
I only use the octane recommended for the spyder . In my case it is min 91Octane in 990 motor

Nils888
04-21-2014, 08:23 PM
I ran a tank of 87. Won't do that again!!! I could hear the engine pinging under load at low rpm. It dose not do this with premium.

ulflyer
04-23-2014, 05:21 PM
87 in my '11 with 32K when traded; same in my '14. Absolutely no pinging.

Bob Denman
04-23-2014, 05:57 PM
I tried a couple of tanks of 87 in my 2010, 998.
I had to experiment a bit! ;)
It cost me about two MPG. :shocked:

gonker
04-24-2014, 09:37 AM
93+ always. Runs quiet, more snap on the throttle. On my third tankful now and I won't put lawnmower gas in it. Got forced into 87 once on my 2010 and paid for it in the end. Not thinking, started it up and pulled it outto the end of my drive to wash. Drove it back into the garage when I was finished. Hopped on the next day to go for some errands, started up on one cylinder. Fouled plug. Never had that problem with good gas.

granpa in Cincy
04-24-2014, 10:12 AM
93+ always. Runs quiet, more snap on the throttle. On my third tankful now and I won't put lawnmower gas in it. Got forced into 87 once on my 2010 and paid for it in the end. Not thinking, started it up and pulled it outto the end of my drive to wash. Drove it back into the garage when I was finished. Hopped on the next day to go for some errands, started up on one cylinder. Fouled plug. Never had that problem with good gas.

You may have gotten some bad gas but that's not 87's fault. I ran 87 in my 2010 for 3 years and was getting 36-38 MPG with no ill effects.

gonker
05-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Locally, the only place for no ethanol are 2 boat marinas each around 30 miles away (and the pumps are located on the docks).

After just a few fill-ups, went from 87 to 93. Some places I have ridden only go as high as 91.

Locally, 93 is 20˘ more then 87 so usually costs me around 80˘ to a dollar for the difference.

2012 RT-S SM5.

I usually go to Sunoco in Canal. I put 87 in my lawnmower, never in the Spyder. 93 or 94 if I can find it. Rode to Maine last summer and could not find any station with more than 91. And ended up with a fouled plug on my 2010. I think the second throttle body was crapping out too. Hope the 14 does better..

1957cushman
05-06-2014, 09:07 AM
My owner's manual for 2012 RT says 91 for "optimum performance" and 87 "minimum". As others have stated higher octane means less explosive under compression not higher quality. The air fuel mixture needs to burn rapidly but not explode and possibly blow the top of piston out. Modern engines have "knock detection" that delays timing if knock is detected. In the old days if you heard knock in auto engines on acceleration, you knew it was time to retard the timing a little.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
The recomandation is just that. Outside the US gasolines are different. Our 87 works fine and will not damage anything. For sure the higher the better and as I have said for a buck difference per tank why not go with the best. I use all of them 87-100+ racing fuel..now that is fun...:thumbup: ...:bdh::bdh:I'm sorry but....If your ENGINE is not designed to use 89 + OCTANE fuel it is not benefiting from using any higher octane than what it is designed for, and your Spyder is not going FASTER OR SMOOTHER ETC ......................And anyone out there who feels this is false PLEASE provide ACTUAL proof....Non of this seat of the pants nonsense ..............................Because someone who just spent $ 2000 for a 25 HP increase on a 300 HP engine and tells you HE / SHE / IT can feel it is just plain full of ( BLEEP )........JMHO.....Mike

Brogers57
05-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Recommended Fuel
Use premium unleaded gasoline with
an AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of
91, or an RON octane rating of 95

^^^^ 2014's Book states the above - Never state the minimum anymore like they used to. Must been some research! :chat:

FUEL OCTANE RATING
INSIDE NORTH AMERICA
Recommended:
(RON + MON)/2)
Minimum:87
(RON + MON)/2)
Use premium unleaded fuel for
optimum engine performance.

^^^ 2013

jcthorne
05-22-2014, 06:37 AM
...:bdh::bdh:I'm sorry but....If your ENGINE is not designed to use 89 + OCTANE fuel it is not benefiting from using any higher octane than what it is designed for, and your Spyder is not going FASTER OR SMOOTHER ETC ......................And anyone out there who feels this is false PLEASE provide ACTUAL proof....Non of this seat of the pants nonsense ..............................Because someone who just spent $ 2000 for a 25 HP increase on a 300 HP engine and tells you HE / SHE / IT can feel it is just plain full of ( BLEEP )........JMHO.....Mike

Sorry, the 2013 and later engines are DESIGNED to run on 91 or better. Running regular causes a severe performance loss as the knock sensors tell the ECM to drastically cut ignition timing to protect the engine. Its significant, 20% or more. Use the required fuel in your bike.

Bob Denman
05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Sorry Mike; they're actually recommending 91 octane... and it's right in the owner's manual.
Recommended FuelUse premium unleaded gasoline with
91, or an RON octane rating of 95.
NOTICE
Never experiment with
other fuels. Engine or fuel system
damages may occur with the use of
an inadequate fuel.

Page 56. :thumbup:I don't think that they'd do that just to screw around with us... :shocked:
Since I can't find 91; I give mine 93 at every fill-up!

Now; your GS (?) WAS designed to run 87... It ran a lower compression ratio than the newer 991 series engines...

woolfski1713
05-22-2014, 12:47 PM
You spend 30K for a bike and complain about the few pennies difference between 87 and 93:banghead: Feed the beast what she wants and what is recommended. Your Spyder will perform better, JMHO of course....

sddinnh
05-22-2014, 12:51 PM
As high as I can get. 91 when that's all that's available, 93 otherwise.

Bob Denman
05-22-2014, 01:40 PM
You spend 30K for a bike and complain about the few pennies difference between 87 and 93:banghead: Feed the beast what she wants and what is recommended. Your Spyder will perform better, JMHO of course....

:bowdown:Amen! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-22-2014, 05:50 PM

OMG someone with common sense and brains, ...and you are correct this post will offend and tick some off :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:, But not ME :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:: thumbup:Mike

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Sorry, the 2013 and later engines are DESIGNED to run on 91 or better. Running regular causes a severe performance loss as the knock sensors tell the ECM to drastically cut ignition timing to protect the engine. Its significant, 20% or more. Use the required fuel in your bike.

jcthorne, I'm sorry also..............to tell you that you need to read past ( 89 + octane ) in my post............to understand what I actually said ....& the same goes for Bob Denman........................just tryin to keep things straight here .......Mike :thumbup:

namknight
05-23-2014, 10:13 AM
I use 93 or 91 depending on the station. I have always used 93 in all my bikes.

Jeriatric
05-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Cheap fuel? It's a personal choice.

Something to think about.

The gasoline that is sold at your local gas station must conform to an EPA-mandated minimum level of “detergents” to help prevent and reduce the build-up of fuel related carbon deposits that both increase exhaust emissions and reduce engine performance.

Unfortunately, all the various blends and brands of gasoline are not created equal, plus some low-quality gasoline brands have additive packages that are not strong enough to keep the engine deposits under control.

Several of the world’s top automakers worked together to establish a higher “Top Tier” standard for gasoline that would contain a higher level of deposit control additives. Many gasoline retailers sell gasoline with a lower quality additive package, so unless you are always using a gasoline that conforms to “Top Tier” gasoline standards, it would be a good idea to use a fuel system cleaning chemical on a standard maintenance schedule.

Having seen several Spyder engines in various states of disassembly. All of them shared one thing in common. Lots of carbon build up....some were very low mileage motors too.

fwiw

911MEDIC
05-23-2014, 01:53 PM
I have put 93 octane in my '13 ST since new off the showroom floor. I've never had any problems with it, but could the higher octane be the reason there is a strong smell of gas after a ride of 100 miles or more? Ive not found a leak or noticed any less fuel in the bike after I've parked it and come back to check later.

I know, I know..... damn rookies

Jeriatric
05-23-2014, 05:00 PM
I have put 93 octane in my '13 ST since new off the showroom floor. I've never had any problems with it, but could the higher octane be the reason there is a strong smell of gas after a ride of 100 miles or more? Ive not found a leak or noticed any less fuel in the bike after I've parked it and come back to check later.

I know, I know..... damn rookies

All pre 14's may emit fuel vapor smell.

There are numerous posts on the subject. Search gas/fuel smell.

Tango
05-23-2014, 06:51 PM
BP fuel in all my vehicles, about 90% of the time. :thumbup: Also use 2 doses of techron at every oil change. :hun: This injector cleaner really works! :bowdown: Tom :trike:

Benggolf
06-22-2014, 02:14 AM
We have 87/89/91/92/94; always used Chevron 92 on both Spyders and my other motorcycles.
Same thing with the cars.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Sorry Mike; they're actually recommending 91 octane... and it's right in the owner's manual.
Recommended FuelUse premium unleaded gasoline with
91, or an RON octane rating of 95.
NOTICE
Never experiment with
other fuels. Engine or fuel system.......they are referring to .....E-85......not 87 octane
an inadequate fuel.

Page 56. :thumbup:I don't think that they'd do that just to screw around with us... :shocked:
Since I can't find 91; I give mine 93 at every fill-up!

Now; your GS (?) WAS designed to run 87... It ran a lower compression ratio than the newer 991 series engines.........................................se e above ....Mike

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Cheap fuel? It's a personal choice.

Something to think about.

The gasoline that is sold at your local gas station must conform to an EPA-mandated minimum level of “detergents” to help prevent and reduce the build-up of fuel related carbon deposits that both increase exhaust emissions and reduce engine performance.

Unfortunately, all the various blends and brands of gasoline are not created equal, plus some low-quality gasoline brands have additive packages that are not strong enough to keep the engine deposits under control.

Several of the world’s top automakers worked together to establish a higher “Top Tier” standard for gasoline that would contain a higher level of deposit control additives. Many gasoline retailers sell gasoline with a lower quality additive package, so unless you are always using a gasoline that conforms to “Top Tier” gasoline standards, it would be a good idea to use a fuel system cleaning chemical on a standard maintenance schedule.

Having seen several Spyder engines in various states of disassembly. All of them shared one thing in common. Lots of carbon build up....some were very low mileage motors too.

fwiw....They are all set up to run overly RICH and there isn't anything you can do about it.........Mikeguyver :thumbup:

ahh-cool
07-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Illinois Boy, they will not believe you. instead they would rather save $1. per fill up which equates to less than $50 per year.

the problem with putting in a lower octane is heat. the fuel needs to burn almost completely and help to cool the valves. when you use a lower octane the fuel not only burns completely but, you also get small explosions in the cylinder which leads to burnt valves, scored rings and coking.

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 09:31 AM
:agree: On a five-gallon refuel; it MIGHT be $2.00 more for me...
Money that I consider to be well-spent! :D :thumbup:

Tango
07-02-2014, 10:15 AM
I also believe that using premium produces higher mpg's. :thumbup: I'm guessing 2 mpg better. :hun: Can I prove it? No. And don't anybody start with all the math solving this or that. :pray: I don't need a headache. :lecturef_smilie: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 10:26 AM
I managed to document a 2.5 mpg improvement with 93 octane, versus 87; in my 2010 998. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Bottom line for me--I always put in the highest octane available when I refuel the :ani29:'s. I do notice a performance difference if I am forced to use 87--which is the lowest I have found here in Alaska.

07-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I have 4000 miles on my 2014 RT and have always filled with 87 octane. Never had a reason to switch. I'm averaging 36 mpg and have never had an issue. Runs great! I run my 2011 RT on the same with no issues.