PDA

View Full Version : First fill up on my RTS 31+ MPG

spydertracks
04-20-2014, 07:15 PM
I now have 175 miles on my RTS since I purchased it this past Friday. I filled it up this afternoon for the first time. It got about 31.5 MPG. This included maybe around 60 miles 2-up. Most of the mileage is in ECO mode. I'm very pleased and am hoping it will improve.

Steve

Chupaca
04-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Your consumption will get better the more you ryde it and get used to it. Enjoy the ryde and don't make mileage a concern smile and ryde...!! :ohyea::ohyea:

SPYD1
04-20-2014, 07:21 PM
That is pretty good!

Knarfoh
04-20-2014, 09:20 PM
I now have 175 miles on my RTS since I purchased it this past Friday. I filled it up this afternoon for the first time. It got about 31.5 MPG. This included maybe around 60 miles 2-up. Most of the mileage is in ECO mode. I'm very pleased and am hoping it will improve.
After 1,000 miles, let us know. Judging on one fill-up is misleading. Your off to a a good start, but I could tell you about the time I got 40 m.p.g. (followed by the worst fill-up I ever experienced).

Sorry, but only keeping records will tell you the true story.

CLICK HERE! (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59375-2012-Spyder-RT-S-SM5-Gas-Mileage-Chart)

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Who gives a crap about keeping records? We didn't buy them for their utilitarian strengths; we bought them for how they make us feel! :clap:
(Well... I did anyway! :D)
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the bike! :2thumbs:
Don't worry; the fuel mileage will improve! :thumbup:

Mike,P
04-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Who gives a crap about keeping records? We didn't buy them for their utilitarian strengths; we bought them for how they make us feel! :clap:
(Well... I did anyway! :D)
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the bike! :2thumbs:
Don't worry; the fuel mileage will improve! :thumbup:

Some of us do give a crap about keeping records / because that's how you track real mileage vs BS :) Thx for speaking for all of us tho... ( Kinda )

Bob Denman
04-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Oh; please don't misunderstand my motive... :opps:
I always check my mileage; I'd rather focus on the FUN! :thumbup: :yes:

ARtraveler
04-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Good mileage for first tank. It will get better with more break-in miles. :thumbup:.

I don't keep written records but I note the mileage each tank. Give or take, I end up with pretty much 30-31 average. I am expecting better mileage on the 2014 RT. But..........I did not buy it for the mileage. :thumbup:

sddinnh
04-21-2014, 06:23 PM
With 475 miles and not trying to save any fuel mine has averaged 34 for the first tank and 35.9 on the second one. Still working on the third one, but we're getting rain for the rest of the week, so it may be a while.

Knarfoh
04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Who gives a crap about keeping records?

Some of us do give a crap about keeping records / because that's how you track real mileage vs BS Thx for speaking for all of us tho... ( Kinda)

Single fill-ups where mileage can widely fluctuate based upon how carefully you fill the tank may give misleading results.

Anyway, give this the value you think it deserves. Just a report for your information.

The point of my original post was to just share actual mileage as experienced by a person who has tracked from the very beginning of their ownership. My Chevrolet Cruze gets better mileage than my Spyder but that does not mean that I want to drive my Cruze more than my Spyder. I purchased my 2012 Chevrolet Cruze two months before I purchased my 2012 Spyder. I now have 9900 miles on my Spyder but less than 5000 on my Cruze. When you take into account that I cannot drive my Spyder three months out of the year because of the weather, you can easily tell which vehicle I prefer.

I have kept a record of every gas fill-up since the beginning. Except at the very beginning of my ownership, I always use Shell 93 octane.

My mileage if not an estimate or good guess - it is actual mileage based upon fill-ups over 9,600 miles. My Spyder is finicky when I fill it up. When the tank shows empty, it has taken anywhere from 3.5 gallons to 4.5 and fill it up usually. On such a small tank, being off by gallon will dramatically affect the "perceived" mileage you are getting. If you look at my chart, every GREAT fill-up is followed by a DISMAL fill-up. That is because the tank is shutting off the pump at different rates of fill. By keeping track of every ounce of gas in the tank and every mileage reading - you will get a good reflection what you are actually getting from your Spyder.

That said: NONE OF US BOUGHT THE SPYDER TO SKIMP ON GAS OR COMPLAIN ABOUT MILEAGE! This is just an informational post. Give it whatever value you think it merits!

My link (which I hope everyone read before offering a disparaging comment) is meant to be informational, not to suggest anyone's focus should be on gas mileage.

That said, should you choose to report gas mileage, unless you keep detailed records (I know, very boring!) the reports are suspect since they rely upon intuition; an antedotal experience; a few fill-ups; your most recent fill-up; etc.

My detailed report is actual experience over the life of my 2+ year old Spyder. It is not a guess or based upon some odd variation of mileage. It is every gallon of gas purchased plus actual mileage driven. Over time those odd fill-up even themselves up. The common culprit seems to be: when the gas gauge reads EMPTY on my Spyder I put between 3.5 to 4.5 gallons of gas to fill it back up!

ARtraveler
04-21-2014, 07:45 PM
My link (which I hope everyone read before offering a disparaging comment) is meant to be informational, not to suggest anyone's focus should be on gas mileage.

That said, should you choose to report gas mileage, unless you keep detailed records (I know, very boring!) the reports are suspect since they rely upon intuition; an antedotal experience; a few fill-ups; your most recent fill-up; etc.

My detailed report is actual experience over the life of my 2+ year old Spyder. It is not a guess or based upon some odd variation of mileage. It is every gallon of gas purchased plus actual mileage driven. Over time those odd fill-up even themselves up. The common culprit seems to be: when the gas gauge reads EMPTY on my Spyder I put between 3.5 to 4.5 gallons of gas to fill it back up!

Yep! And as my records from 97,000 Spyder miles add up, I am still getting 30-31 miles per gallon. I will keep separate records on my 2014 because that is a whole different animal.

Now, if I really kept records, it would add up like I said above. For me, the quick calculation in my head is good enough. It don't matter, what's a few cents one way or another. I am rydeing my Spyder because I like it , not because its an economy ride.

spyder-dude
04-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Yeah I have a buddy that records his mileage and wastes several minutes after filling up doing so. I prefer to use the extra minutes to be riding! When people ask about gas mileage I tell them they get 30-37mpg on the new 2014's depending on how you ride. Not worth my time recording mileage.

spydertracks
04-21-2014, 07:52 PM
OK, that went well. So, what kind of oil should I use? :roflblack:

Knarfoh
04-21-2014, 07:59 PM
OK, that went well. So, what kind of oil should I use?
Virgin olive oil is recommended but hard to find a virgin today! Canola oil is cheap but will get the job done! Stay away from popcorn oil since the additives included will cause your Spyder to run rough as well as cause the exhaust from your Spyder to turn yellow-orange!

spydertracks
04-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I heard that popcorn oil causes your engine to pop... OK. I'm done. Thanks for the input all. Now get out and ride!

Knarfoh
04-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Yep! And as my records from 97,000 Spyder miles add up, I am still getting 30-31 miles per gallon.
At the end of the day, you are getting what I am reporting, 30 to 31 m.p.g.

I do look forward to hearing your 2014 Spyder report. I am waiting till 2015 but whatever you report, I know will it will be informational.