PDA

View Full Version : Nonfunctional CDI HMT

pwilbarger
04-20-2014, 05:41 PM
I just noticed tonight that my Custom Dynamics HMT that was installed on my 2010 RT-S by Cowtown at Spyderfest 2011 is not working at all, no running or brake lights. I thought it was working earlier this spring but now nothing. Can this be replaced by the TricLED high mount light bar using the same hole in the trunk for wiring? I've already PM'd Reggy. As an alternative I could just have Pitbull install a new CD unit with turn signals also at Spyderfest if they have would have one in stock. Don't know how hard it is to get the old one off. I suppose it could be a loose wire(s) but I have no idea how it is wired into the Spyder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spyder-dude
04-20-2014, 06:02 PM
If you are not getting any light from it most likely a lose wire......

finless
04-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Not saying this is the reason but I have seen a few "dealer installed" HMT break lights and the don't leave any loop or strain relief at the trunk lid hinge. The wires will eventually break there if that's the case. I bet your wires broke connection at that hinge.

Bob

pwilbarger
04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Not saying this is the reason but I have seen a few "dealer installed" HMT break lights and the don't leave any loop or strain relief at the trunk lid hinge. The wires will eventually break there if that's the case. I bet your wires broke connection at that hinge.

Bob

I'll try moving that area of the wires and see if comes back on. The wires don't seem to be tight but there is not any loop. The wires go straight thru the hinge area.

pwilbarger
04-21-2014, 03:35 PM

Bob

Right-o Bob. Wiggled the wires in hinge area around a little and it would come on and work fine until I moved the lid. So I will see if Pitbull/Lamonster Garage or some other vendor can install a new one at Spyderfest. Thanks.

finless
04-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Right-o Bob. Wiggled the wires in hinge area around a little and it would come on and work fine until I moved the lid. So I will see if Pitbull/Lamonster Garage or some other vendor can install a new one at Spyderfest. Thanks.

Glad I could help. Again I noticed on quite a few that if you don't leave a nice service loop and some slack at the hinge it breaks the wire.
Hope your next one gets put in right!

Bob

spyder-dude
04-22-2014, 06:12 AM
If it is just the wiring by the hinges you really don't need to buy a new unit as that can be fixed.....I would be available at spyderfest to help if pitbull or lamonsters garage can't.

2ndChildhood
04-22-2014, 07:01 AM
If the module is bad I have a spare one and can also help you at Spyderfest. I am staying at the host hotel.

ToM
Spyderfest 2014

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

viperryder
04-22-2014, 07:10 AM
I just noticed tonight that my Custom Dynamics HMT that was installed on my 2010 RT-S by Cowtown at Spyderfest 2011 is not working at all, no running or brake lights. I thought it was working earlier this spring but now nothing. Can this be replaced by the TricLED high mount light bar using the same hole in the trunk for wiring? I've already PM'd Reggy. As an alternative I could just have Pitbull install a new CD unit with turn signals also at Spyderfest if they have would have one in stock. Don't know how hard it is to get the old one off. I suppose it could be a loose wire(s) but I have no idea how it is wired into the Spyder.

I have one installed at Spyderfest on mine in2012, in Cuba. The wiring came around the plastic in the trunk and was broken. Wired around break and is now working. Check out wiring.:banghead:

jcthorne
04-22-2014, 07:20 AM
This is really sounding like a deficiency in design with the wireing not properly protected from fatigue.

pwilbarger
04-22-2014, 07:24 AM
If the module is bad I have a spare one and can also help you at Spyderfest.

The module is good. I got it to work by moving the wires around.

If it is just the wiring by the hinges you really don't need to buy a new unit as that can be fixed.....I would be available at spyderfest to help if pitbull or lamonsters garage can't.

I'm not sure the break is right at the hinge. I suspect that it is up closer to or maybe right at the module and would be hard to wire around. I think that the wire harness is too stiff and that is one of the reasons for the break.

2ndChildhood
04-22-2014, 07:36 AM
You can remove the back seat back rest to get a better view of the wire. To remove the back rest, there are 3 bolts (t30) inside the trunk and two (t20) screw on top

ToM
Spyderfest 2014

pwilbarger
04-22-2014, 08:19 AM
You can remove the back seat back rest to get a better view of the wire. To remove the back rest, there are 3 bolts (t30) inside the trunk and two (t20) screw on top

ToM
Spyderfest 2014

Time is short. We are leaving for SF on Saturday.

finless
04-22-2014, 08:52 AM
If it was installed correctly then you should not even see the wire when you remove the backrest!
It should go down the hole and run behind the right speaker box. This way it is UNDER the covers.
Not sure what the HMT break light instructions say but I wired my DIY break light this way and 10 months later no issue.
The wire floats with the trunk lid and goes up and down in the hinge hole area. If it cant do that then it's going to flex back and forth until it breaks. Wires cant take bending over and over again even stranded wire.

Bob

pwilbarger
04-22-2014, 09:01 AM
I just checked the weather forecast and looks like four days of 60% or greater chance of rain and cool temps in Springfield so may not be going to SF. I spent most of last year at the motel and not doing that again.

finless
04-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Phyl, if you would like you can send me the light and I will take it apart and repair it for you and ship it back. I would hate to see you spend another chunk of cash on a new one. Oh and no charge to fix it other than cover the shipping costs! PM me if interested.

Bob

2ndChildhood
04-22-2014, 11:46 AM
If it was installed correctly then you should not even see the wire when you remove the backrest!
It should go down the hole and run behind the right speaker box. This way it is UNDER the covers.
Not sure what the HMT break light instructions say but I wired my DIY break light this way and 10 months later no issue.
The wire floats with the trunk lid and goes up and down in the hinge hole area. If it cant do that then it's going to flex back and forth until it breaks. Wires cant take bending over and over again even stranded wire.

Bob

You can see the wire at the hinge in the hinge hole area when the back rest is removed!

ToM
Spyderfest 2014

pwilbarger
04-22-2014, 01:43 PM
I looked up the install instructions on CD's site and it looks to be installed per those. Not sure how one would remove it since it's stuck on with 3M double sided tape without damaging something. Plus the you need to stick it back on after it's repaired. That's why I was going to leave to the pro's.

2ndChildhood
04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
I had a CD mud flap light that stop working. It was a pain in the "you know what" to remove it. I used a lot of Goo Gone. I would not want to try removing the Brake Light Bar.

ToM
Spyderfest 2014

finless
04-22-2014, 06:54 PM
I had a CD mud flap light that stop working. It was a pain in the "you know what" to remove it. I used a lot of Goo Gone. I would not want to try removing the Brake Light Bar.

ToM
Spyderfest 2014

Try removing the reflectors on the saddle bags to install lights there! I destroyed one getting it off (the one over the muffler). Not that I wanted to save it or anything but point taken on getting tape like that off!
A heat gun and WD40 works well and then use a thin steal strip (like a metal ruler) to get behind the tape and slowly work it away. What I would do is work the tape away from the light side leaving the tape stuck to the trunk. Once the light is off it should be easy to get the tape off the trunk as you now have easy access to it all.

Bob

stevedfive
04-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I used a blow dryer and a craft bone folder. It as a point and doesn't scratch. Came right off.

finless
04-22-2014, 07:01 PM
I used a blow dryer and a craft bone folder. It as a point and doesn't scratch. Came right off.

Nice idea with the bone folder. It's made not to scratch leather, paper, etc!
I have a super thin metal drafting ruler that did the trick too. It is round on one end. Worked like a charm.

Bob

pwilbarger
05-24-2014, 07:28 PM
I think I may just leave it as is. It will the next owners problem.