PDA

View Full Version : Signal light indicator enhancement on RT

mbelisle
04-20-2014, 05:03 PM
The signal indicators in the dash are quite small and sometimes difficult to notice when riding in sunny conditions. To help you notice that your signal is still on and to provide additional indication to the drivers behind you I installed a small 4" led strip on each mirror. The LED light strip "ON" is easy to notice when your signal did not cancel correctly. Simple to install and easy for any DIY. Here are the basic steps:
1. Purchased a small 4" red, 12v LED light strip with sticky backing. Purchased mine from Canadian tire. (In our province I don't think it matters if the strip is red or orange as I have seen both colors on many different types of vehicle mirrors)
2. Remove mirror, disconnect wire harness.
3. Remove top and bottom plastic cover plates from front of the mirror assembly and remove 3 screws holding the signal indicator in position. A small flat head screwdriver can be used to depress the clips to allow removal of the cover plates.
4. Fish the LED strip wire around the mirror and pull through the small hole. Route the wire along side the existing wire harness.
5. Split the harness wire and solder in each of the LED wires ensuring the ground wires are black to black. Plug the signal light harness back into the bike and test prior to reassembly and insulating the exposed wires.
6. Clean the mirror in the location where you will be installing the LED strip. I installed mine in the middle on the bottom side of the mirror as it slopes away from the mirror and will not glare in the mirror when it is on. Remove sticky back and install. Be careful not to press too hard on the light strip to avoid damage to the pixels.
7. Insulate the exposed wires with heat shrink or electrical tape.
8 Reinstall the signal light and plastic cover plates. Reinstall the mirror.
Your good to go.

Jim&Teresa
04-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Nice job! :thumbup: Thanks for the pics! I did something similar on my 2014 RT L. Yes, those dash signal lights are dim, especially in the daytime! I had red LED's on my 2012 RT L. Decided to go with the cognac (orange) ones on the new bike....they are less bright, but work well in both day and night rydin'
Enjoy your ryde! :yes::2thumbs:

Mspiv
04-29-2014, 08:24 PM
man I was hoping BRP would fix the indicator light. I suppose the cancel switch is still a pain in the but also.

Mike S

Chupaca
04-29-2014, 08:32 PM
but a big help as well. 87312 RS has the smaller mirrors. Congrats great job...:2thumbs: Lots of posts to this effect you think they might get a hint and add this feature in the future..?? :dontknow:

msbluebells
06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I feel at loss without an additional turn signal indication. As the rider, I can't tell which way my Hubby is going to turn so it is like being in the dark. And when I am the driver, being new, I can't easily tell if the turn signal is on or not. Which is a dangerous situation. So thanks for your post, I am investigating now how to proceed with adding one and this post is GREAT. Thanks for all the detail!;)

I was able to find these lights and hope they will work. http://www.customdynamics.com/magic_spots.htm

Lin
06-11-2014, 04:57 PM
I placed a strip along the inner edge of my mirrors. Intended for my info, but also very visible by adjacent vehicles. Those Magic Spots look like they will do the trick. Give us a picture when complete.

finless
06-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I placed a strip along the inner edge of my mirrors. Intended for my info, but also very visible by adjacent vehicles. Those Magic Spots look like they will do the trick. Give us a picture when complete.

Did it the same way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd9BXNK7fjA

Bob

RyderJCF
06-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Amber strips from Tricled at the top of the mirrors - a great addition to both me and other vehicles!

oldguyinTX
06-11-2014, 06:49 PM

I did exactly the same in Amber. bought them from AutoZone, 2 strips 4" long, about $20.00. easy install too.

finless
06-11-2014, 06:55 PM
However, anyone that has done the Auto Zone ones notice they are getting sticky and gummy?

This was the first farkle I did in June last year. Last week while cleaning the mirrors I noticed they were gummy and lint was sticking to them badly! I guess due to UV, heat, and road acids, the clear rubber covering breaks down. At least mine are. It's not bad or anything but getting the lint of them was a pain!

Anyone else notice this yet?

I hope all my other LED strips (even ones custom made for the spyder by tricled) don't start doing that!

Bob

oldguyinTX
06-11-2014, 07:40 PM
However, anyone that has done the Auto Zone ones notice they are getting sticky and gummy?

This was the first farkle I did in June last year. Last week while cleaning the mirrors I noticed they were gummy and lint was sticking to them badly! I guess due to UV, heat, and road acids, the clear rubber covering breaks down. At least mine are. It's not bad or anything but getting the lint of them was a pain!

Anyone else notice this yet?

I hope all my other LED strips (even ones custom made for the spyder by tricled) don't start doing that!

Bob

I have AutoZone LED lights on the mirrors, rear cargo trunk & my RT-622 trailer as well. So far, no problems at at after about 8 months. Really bright, and I think helps me to be seen.

finless
06-11-2014, 08:51 PM
I have AutoZone LED lights on the mirrors, rear cargo trunk & my RT-622 trailer as well. So far, no problems at at after about 8 months. Really bright, and I think helps me to be seen.

I suppose it's possible some cleaner I used on the mirrors or the New Vinyl I use on the plastic could have done it?

The strips I used for the trunk lid brake lights are not having that issue and I did them about 2 months after the turn signals. But they do not get all the heat from the vents the mirrors do. Hmmmm.... now I am thinking it's the cleaner.

Bob

pitzerwm
11-19-2014, 03:01 AM
Hey Finless, I do woodturning and we use a two part epoxy to seal/finish the wood etc. You might try mixing some 5 minute stuff and "painting" it on the LEDs. IMO this would add a new layer of protection and at least delay you having to replace them. It might have been the cleaner, or UV, either way, the epoxy extends their life. Worst case you replace them with new.

finless
11-19-2014, 09:12 AM
I have since had to remove them as they got too gummy. After doing my behind the mirror signals and not liking them (not very bright), I just went with Muth mirrors.

http://shop.muthco.com/canam-spyder-signal-mirror

But next time, I will try to seal them thanks for the tip!

Bob

pitzerwm
11-19-2014, 12:24 PM
finless, did your rear brake lites also get gummy? At this point do you feel that it was your cleaning product or that the lites were just cheap China stuff?

finless
11-19-2014, 04:46 PM
finless, did your rear brake lites also get gummy? At this point do you feel that it was your cleaning product or that the lites were just cheap China stuff?

Thje rear lights are not gummy at all! So it either was the heat that comes up from the vents just below the mirrors, or a cleaning product I used to clean the mirrors. Early on I was using windex to clean the mirrors and was told thats a no no on these mirrors. So it is possible that was the cause.

Bob