PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Ass Move!

JXVolker
04-20-2014, 01:35 PM
So, I was taking a very enjoyable ride yesterday on country roads in Tennessee and Kentucky. I started smelling something a bit overwhelming and I couldn't put my finger on it. Although, it certainly wasn't the smell of freshly plowed earth or cattle that I had been smelling all day. Lesson 1: If you detect an overwhelming and somewhat mechanical odor it is wise to stop and see if it is your bike making the odor. I didn't. Upon my arrival home I stopped to do my oil check after a long ride as I always do. OMG! Oil was splattered across the left side of my machine, my heart sank. Lesson 2: Many problems look worse than they are. I quickly removed the panel and saw the culprit. On my last oil check I had not secured the dip stick properly. Lesson 3: Make sure when it is important. I inserted the dip stick properly and cranked "Puff" up and let him run for 30 seconds (give or take). Checking the oil I was very relived to see that oil apparently is like blood in that it looks like there is more of it then there usually is. I was able to add a small amount of BRP's finest and my oil level was good to go. I am thanking the bike angels today.

bruiser
04-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Take solace in knowing you are not the only one that has made a bonehead move like that.

jerpinoy
04-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Glad you and your spyder are doing well. This is lesson learn to all. thanks for sharing.

Who said that Spyder are not the best machine???????:yes:

ARtraveler
04-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Stuff sometimes happens. If we learn from it--all is well. :thumbup:

garb55
04-20-2014, 01:54 PM
The road Gremlins probably loosened it
Do you have a Gremlin bell?
If so that is what scared them away

billybovine
04-20-2014, 01:58 PM
It sure makes a mess don't it. Don't ask how I know. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
04-20-2014, 02:14 PM
But if we're supposed to "learn from our mistakes"; how come I'm not a :cus: genius already? :shocked: :roflblack:

samewok
04-20-2014, 02:26 PM
That wil never happen Bob.

Bob Denman
04-20-2014, 02:32 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif

cptjam
04-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Remember, if they make it idiot proof, we just make a better idiot!

Bob Denman
04-20-2014, 05:13 PM
My Mom already made one... :D

BlkHawk73
04-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Yup, so long as we're human we'll make a mistake now and then. Just chalk it up as a learning experience. It often just takes these slights lacks in judgement to get us paying better attention later on.

Chupaca
04-20-2014, 05:47 PM
But messes can be cleaned up. Glad you had no other damage or side effect. You will forever remember this incident each time you check your oil..:thumbup:

rhansen309
04-20-2014, 06:32 PM
I recently changed my oil and double checked the dipstick. I was just a little paranoid. Glad everything was ok for you.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-20-2014, 06:35 PM
But messes can be cleaned up. Glad you had no other damage or side effect. You will forever remember this incident each time you check your oil..:thumbup:
Good thing they can be. Like the time I drained the oil from my Goldwing, moved the drain pan out of the way, put in the new filter, and started pouring in the 4 qts of Amsoil motorcycle oil. It was after I started pouring in the 4th quart I finally saw the huge puddle forming on the floor underneath. I knew instantly I had forgotten to put the oil drain plug back in! :gaah::opps: That was one $35+ goof! Had to drive 20 miles to get some more oil!

Flanker
04-20-2014, 07:22 PM
At least you put the drain plug back in. :joke:

SPYD1
04-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Cleaning the motor will be your reminder for next time...:banghead:

Ramjet
04-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Good thing they can be. Like the time I drained the oil from my Goldwing, moved the drain pan out of the way, put in the new filter, and started pouring in the 4 qts of Amsoil motorcycle oil. It was after I started pouring in the 4th quart I finally saw the huge puddle forming on the floor underneath. I knew instantly I had forgotten to put the oil drain plug back in! :gaah::opps: That was one $35+ goof! Had to drive 20 miles to get some more oil!

yup A-D-D gotta stay focused did the same thing once on my Jeep. Heard noise while putting the new oil in my case I had the pan under but 4 quarts of Amzoil in the pan of course Amzoil the expensive oil.........lol

PW2013STL
04-21-2014, 02:08 AM
Stuff happens!
Don't need to :banghead: Over it. If I did that for every DAM (dumb ass move) I have made I would have a flatter head than I do. In fact I just made one this weekend when I broke my right hand mirror glass that CanAm doesn't sell (you have to purchase the complete mirror assembly for $200). So yours did not cost more then a little oil and a lot of clean up time.

It is amassing how little oil it takes to make a very big mess! I had a 03 Harley that I had a high performance motor built for it. One day soon after the build I drove home from a 15 mile ride and when I pulled into my garage found oil all down the right side and dripping off the frame with a oil trail leading out to the road. My first thought was my new $7000 motor is trashed, but it was only down a 1/2 qt.

Turned out that the high output motor also put out high crankcase pressure and popped the pressed in dip stick oil plug.