PDA

View Full Version : Brake Master Cylinder Bolt Fell Out

SpydermanCT
04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
:yikes:
I was out riding Saturday and I was about 22 miles from home. When I went to stop I had no brake pedal. Good thing I had a brake down lane to go into or I would have rear ended the car in front of me. It was a fun ride home with virtually no brakes. If you pay attention, keep safe distances from the car in front of you and do allot of downshifting, you can ride almost forever without ever needing to stop.

When it happened I pulled over and had a Brake Failure Waning flashing - I checked for codes and had C1282. On the way home I had a DPS warning come on and shortly there after it did go into limp mode. When I got home I checked again for fault codes and C1282 and P0504 were present. Even with the key off the brake lights would not go off so I pulled the fuse for them in the frunk fusebox. I did a visual inspection and found that the upper bolt that holds the master cylinder on fell out. When installing the chrome side casting on that side I removed the bolts to the master cylinder to gain some access to slide the casting in. So I'm off to the hardware store to find a M8X30 Scotch Grip bolt. What's a Scotch Grip bolt? Hopefully after reinstalling the master cylinder the codes will clear.

Well, I've been saying it for years that I would jump on this 2010 RTS and drive it anywhere and it will still hold true because this breakdown was self inflicted.

finless
04-20-2014, 11:34 AM
That must have been scary!

FYI anytime a remove a bolt that is in metal, I put it back with blue Loctite. In critical areas might even use red!

Bob

Chupaca
04-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Glad the outcome was as good as it was. Once you have it all back in functioning order it should clear and be stored. :yikes: be safe I'm sure it won't happen this way again...

billybovine
04-20-2014, 12:58 PM
:yikes:
What's a Scotch Grip bolt?

That is a type of thread locking compound.

kml354
04-20-2014, 05:37 PM
That is a type of thread locking compound.
Use blue loctite.

Oldmanzues
04-20-2014, 07:39 PM
A thought to consider/remember. Learn to use the kill switch. It used to be in some manuals (mine) as a emergency stopping idea for "brake failure"?
glad everything turned out okay for you.
Oldmanzues

SpyderAnn01
04-21-2014, 12:19 AM
Glad to hear that you found the cause of your problem, even if it was you!