PDA

View Full Version : Is there an electrical connector behind the battery?

Michiganspyderman
04-18-2014, 06:03 PM
When I picked up my 2014 RTS last week, there was another 2014 RTS on the dealer's shop autopsy table. It had been damaged during the unload process. All of the Tupperware had been removed and I believe I remember seeing a connector just like you would hook a battery tender up to tied up and just dangling in the area immediately behind where the battery is located. I meant to, but with 200 other questions, forgot to ask if this was already hot and if all I needed to do is gain access to it (i.e. drill a hole through the rear frunk wall) and hook up a cigarette lighter outlet, USB port, etc. to it. Has anyone (or everyone) used this connector for the purpose(s) mentioned or is it there for another specific ​reason?

Bob Denman
04-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Yup! You can purchase an additional power plug, and have it installed up in the frunk.
It hooks into that wiring... :thumbup:

Michiganspyderman
04-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Yup! You can purchase an additional power plug, and have it installed up in the frunk.
It hooks into that wiring... :thumbup:

Excellent. Any idea how difficult it is to gain access to the wiring? Do I need to remove panels or can I somehow gain access by dismantling the frunk? I think the wiring is probably tied together or I could try to reach it via the hole that is currently plugged that I will mount the power plug in. Not much room to work that way though.

zuni
04-18-2014, 07:20 PM
We just (week ago Wednesday) picked up our 2014 RT-S SE^ from Central Florida Power Sports and the battery tender cable was pre-installed in the frunk. Was told that was something they automatically provide. Curious if all dealers install it or if it is an extra.

CJ JAX

Chupaca
04-18-2014, 08:02 PM
In many cases it is easier to make the harnesses to the top of the line model and install them in all the models. Then if you add accesories that are on the top model the wiring is already there.....:thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Excellent. Any idea how difficult it is to gain access to the wiring? Do I need to remove panels or can I somehow gain access by dismantling the frunk? I think the wiring is probably tied together or I could try to reach it via the hole that is currently plugged that I will mount the power plug in. Not much room to work that way though.
I think it's like the '13. You stand a chance of being able to access the power plug connectors by taking the battery out. I did that after I had the ECM update done because the tech plugged the wires on the wrong posts of the power plug when he put the frunk back on.

ulflyer
04-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Mine came with the pigtail installed and it was tucked in front of the battery, readily accessible by removing the battery cover.
I attached a similar one and ran each of them up opposite sides (by removing the top panels), one to an accessory plug to power my GPS and the other to a Gerbing type plug to power my heated jacket.