PDA

View Full Version : Kuryakan Black Widow Grips

Peoriafirefighter
08-29-2008, 04:19 PM
The Kuryakan Black Widow Grips presently are only available in the 1" grip. Does anyone know how to modify it to fit on the Spyders 7/8" grip?:spyder:

bigdave18629
08-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I was just told by my local dealer (a custom bike shop) that there is no good way to do it. I am sure that there are some people on line that might be able to do some fab work and make it happen. I just ordered the 7/8 ISO grips.

beerman
08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
You can try taping the bars.:dontknow:

M2Wild
01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I really like those widow grips. There is no adopter of any sorts to get this grip onto the Spyder??? :mad:

tatt2r
01-30-2009, 10:22 AM
maybe someone... aahheemm... can come up with a sleeve to put over factory bars to make them 1" thick ...now who could do something that creative .....let me think ....:coffee:

sleepman
01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
maybe someone... aahheemm... can come up with a sleeve to put over factory bars to make them 1" thick ...now who could do something that creative .....let me think ....:coffee:

I know of a guy, but I just can't remember his name. :dontknow: He's come up with some really killer stuff for the :spyder2:'s

M2Wild
01-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I know of a guy, but I just can't remember his name. :dontknow: He's come up with some really killer stuff for the :spyder2:'s

Think hard sleepman ..... dammit!!! I wanna those grips on moi Spydah http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/red2.gif

sleepman
01-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Think hard sleepman ..... dammit!!! I wanna those grips on moi Spydah http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/red2.gif

hmmmmm!!!! I think he's gonna be at Daytona. :doorag:

tatt2r
01-30-2009, 11:01 AM
i cant see why you couldn't take a piece of pipe with a 7/8 inch inside diameter and a 1 inch outside diameter and just slam it over handle bars maybe drill and tap a couple of set screws re-cest allen heads to keep them from turning would also stiffen bar ends and maybe reduce vibration like the bar end brp is selling now

M2Wild
01-30-2009, 11:15 AM
i cant see why you couldn't take a piece of pipe with a 7/8 inch inside diameter and a 1 inch outside diameter and just slam it over handle bars maybe drill and tap a couple of set screws re-cest allen heads to keep them from turning would also stiffen bar ends and maybe reduce vibration like the bar end brp is selling now

I am thinking about doing just that. According to my research the throttle end should fit fine because it's a 1" sleeve. It's the 7/8" clutch end that's gonna cause some problem. I think I know of some thin walled plastic piping that I can soften and heat with a heat gun and slip it onto the bar to make it 1" OD.

Let me know if my assumption here is correct.

sleepman
01-30-2009, 11:16 AM

On the right side though you have a difference in diameter from the left because of the throttle sleeve.

NancysToy
01-30-2009, 11:19 AM
I am thinking about doing just that. According to my research the throttle end should fit fine because it's a 1" sleeve. It's the 7/8" clutch end that's gonna cause some problem. I think I know of some thin walled plastic piping that I can soften and heat with a heat gun and slip it onto the bar to make it 1" OD.

Let me know if my assumption here is correct.
Grips for 1" handlebars are 1 1/8" on the throttle side. Sorry, you'd have to shim both sides, or swap sides and use a thicker shim on the left.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

M2Wild
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Grips for 1" handlebars are 1 1/8" on the throttle side. Sorry, you'd have to shim both sides, or swap sides and use a thicker shim on the left.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

That actually might be easier to work with. Swap the sides and shim the clutch to 1-1/8". I'd think 1/8" shim is more difficult to find than the 1/4". Its a PITA to sand it down but a whole lot easier to wrap some tapes around it.

Scotty .... you are a wealth of information.:bowdown:

M2Wild
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Okay ..... I just bit the bullet and ordered the widow grips. Will attempt to make the necessary modification to keep the Spyder theme. Wish me luck. I will report back on how successful my attempt is.

Peoriafirefighter
01-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Okay ..... I just bit the bullet and ordered the widow grips. Will attempt to make the necessary modification to keep the Spyder theme. Wish me luck. I will report back on how successful my attempt is

I had called Magic Man and he said it would be too costly for him to produce those. Maybe if demand was high enough?? I also talked to the R&D dept. Engineer and he said they might be available this spring. Anyone at the Bike rally's where Kuryakan is set up, might ask where they are at with the 7/8" Black Widow Grips. Lok for a guy last name Owen, he is the engineer I deal with. Keep me informed how your custom fit works.:spyder:

tatt2r
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
duct tape your in....:D:coffee:

M2Wild
01-31-2009, 09:55 PM
duct tape your in....:D:coffee:

I am thinking garden hose will be involved :2thumbs: If you see a guy walking around with a micrometer in the hose section of Home Depot ... that would be me.

AMTJIM
01-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Call a couple general aviation maintenance shops at your closest airport and see if they have any spare tubing laying around. The thin wall aluminum is the easiest to work with. Even if you can't find the exact size you need, you can slice it length ways and slide it over the bar or thottle tube and keep stacking additional tubes if needed. For the clutch side, send a drill through the shim tubes and handle bar inboard of the bar endcap if it still exists with the grips. You can get some of those expanding spring pins and slide it through the drilled hole, this will keep the shims from rotating along with some type of adhesive on the bar and shims. The throttle side will use adhesive only unless you cut some of the bar end off so you can drill a hole through the shims and throttle tube. That would be again if the bar end caps are eliminated and/or you aren't going to use a throttlemeister.

Jeff in Dallas
02-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I am disappointed in the options available for the Spyder. Coming from a Harley, one of the joys of owning that bike was the range and quality of aftermarket parts available.

If there were a solution to allow the use of Harley grips on the Spyder, I would be running for my wallet. There are fantastic grips available for the Harley.

If someone comes up with a fix, please let me know!

Roaddog2
02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
I am disappointed in the options available for the Spyder. Coming from a Harley, one of the joys of owning that bike was the range and quality of aftermarket parts available.

If there were a solution to allow the use of Harley grips on the Spyder, I would be running for my wallet. There are fantastic grips available for the Harley.

If someone comes up with a fix, please let me know!Once production numbers are up it will be worth for after market companys to jump in :ani29:

M2Wild
02-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I remember seeing someone here posted pics on a set of after market all stainless steel grips with spyder webs. In there is a pic of slip on grip adopter. Can't seem to find that darn thread now .... grrrrrrr:banghead:

vt228
02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
put a plastic slev on the bar glue the pegs to it it well take the space you nead or aske lamonster he knows every thing about spyders he is the man to go to :2thumbs: thats what i would do hope it helps you

M2Wild
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Yay .... I found it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6658

AMTJIM
02-06-2009, 06:49 PM
After looking at that mod thread, I was thinking clear Aquarium tubing would work. It's thin wall and comes in a variety of diameters. You could cut your required length and then cut it length ways if needed to add or remove material. I may still add a flush pop rivet or the pin I mentioned...I have seen and experienced grips rolling and sliding off...it's scary.

M2Wild
02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
...I have seen and experienced grips rolling and sliding off...it's scary.

I hear ya .... definitely don't want to experance that "Oh shyt!!!" moment. Its likely I will death grip glue the sucker if I find the right size sleeve / adopter to be good and sure.