PDA

View Full Version : Quiet garage, why is my ST have a high pitch buzzing?

rminas879
04-16-2014, 07:58 PM
I went out to hug my new ST and I hear a high pitch buzzing. I turned on the electrics on about an hour ago to check the turn signals.
Any ideas? Do I need to worry?:helpsmilie:

Plyrod38
04-16-2014, 08:00 PM
No need to worry, they all do it.

Benggolf
04-16-2014, 08:25 PM
It's asking you to take it out for s spin! :clap:
Nothing to be worried about.

NZSpyderRyder
04-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Something to do with the throttle closing for 40 minutes, I asked the same question last week. I have a 2013 ST Limited, luckily I'm high tone deaf so I don't hear it, the rest of the family do tho.

rminas879
04-16-2014, 08:46 PM
I went out to hug my new ST and I hear a high pitch buzzing. I turned on the electrics on about an hour ago to check the turn signals.
Any ideas? Do I need to worry?:helpsmilie:

"All Models. This vehicle bla bla ETC bla bla normal.
That's why they write these things. The key to start the bike should be in a locked vicar the end of the manual. You can't go until you know.:joke:

Chupaca
04-16-2014, 08:48 PM
It's a shut down process. computers, relays, self checking, clearing codes stored in the black box throttle body shut down take your pick. They all do it and it take a while..your learning and you will be back with a question or two before you teach...:roflblack:

ARCTIC
04-16-2014, 08:51 PM
That sound is F'n annoying!!!! When my friends stop over they want to check out the bike and see all the gadgets on it but DAMN. Can't turn it on unless you're going to push it outside after you're done looking at it because it's deafening. :shocked:

nhoj
04-16-2014, 09:33 PM
They should put the explanation for that whine on the Safety Card cause everyone reads that!

The throttle bodies are held closed for 40 minutes after key off. This is suppose to help restarting a warm engine.

Bob Denman
04-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Or; you can trade-up to a 2010 model. ;)
They didn't have this feature! :D
It was the partially warmed-up starting issues with the 2010s, that prompted this setup.
Oddly enough; I haven't noticed any extra noise from the 2014 yet... :shocked:

bullant12
04-17-2014, 07:52 AM
That sound is F'n annoying!!!! When my friends stop over they want to check out the bike and see all the gadgets on it but DAMN. Can't turn it on unless you're going to push it outside after you're done looking at it because it's deafening. :shocked:

:hun: I can hear it on my quiet garage after I ride or just working on it, but when outside and with others we never can hear it because of the other noises/conversations going on.

ARCTIC
04-17-2014, 09:05 AM
:hun: I can hear it on my quiet garage after I ride or just working on it, but when outside and with others we never can hear it because of the other noises/conversations going on.

I keep my spyder in my garage. I have a 55"flat screen tv , heat and a fridge with beverages in there. When sitting watching TV my friends will stop and they want to see all the cool features and gadgets it has and after a few minutes it's. "What the hell is that noise". Then a few more minutes "when's it gonna quit". Then a few more minutes "let's push that thing outside"

Bob Denman
04-17-2014, 09:07 AM
:agree: :shocked:
I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to see if i can hear that noise... :thumbup:
The mIssus will tell you that my selective hearing is getting worse with the years... :D
I didn't realize that it might afftect my "motorclce hearing" as well! :yikes:

bullant12
04-17-2014, 09:09 AM
I keep my spyder in my garage. I have a 55"flat screen tv , heat and a fridge with beverages in there. When sitting watching TV my friends will stop and they want to see all the cool features and gadgets it has and after a few minutes it's. "What the hell is that noise". Then a few more minutes "when's it gonna quit". Then a few more minutes "let's push that thing outside"

You didn't specify that your friends were in the garage. I have a 2 car garage (where both Spyders are kept), a radio and a fridge. I am used to the pitch, and eventually it stops. When my friends are over, it is either working on one or ours, between conversations and the radio we can't tell the pitch, and we watch TV inside.

Sorry that it bothers you, but most of us are used to it. It goes away after 45 minutes or so.

Bob Denman
04-17-2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4URogrXiKsI

ARCTIC
04-17-2014, 09:37 AM
You didn't specify that your friends were in the garage. I have a 2 car garage (where both Spyders are kept), a radio and a fridge. I am used to the pitch, and eventually it stops. When my friends are over, it is either working on one or ours, between conversations and the radio we can't tell the pitch, and we watch TV inside.

Sorry that it bothers you, but most of us are used to it. It goes away after 45 minutes or so.

You don't have to apologize for the spyder making noise:cheers:

billrob71
04-17-2014, 09:47 PM
My dealer told me about this when I took delivery of mine. They also said don't keep turning the bike on and off to show people the fancy cluster :D It will drain the battery down since it will take 40 minutes or so to shut down like was stated above.