PDA

View Full Version : what is your avg. speed

cuznjohn
04-15-2014, 06:00 PM
what speeds do you ride at. i have a tendency to cruse around when with one friend at about between 70 and 80 mph but when riding with my 2 wheel friends it is sometimes a lil faster. if i am by myself i am between 50 and 60, i do like to stay in front of other motorist just because i don't like being in blind spots.

so what do you do and how many slow down in turns, i did scare myself on sunday with one turn at about 70

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 06:06 PM
:shocked: I'm that mizzerabul :cus::gaah: rotten no-good dumb-:cus:, that's probably blocking the road in front of you... :D
I ilke it low and slow...:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:
I'm just out enjoying the scenery; and I'm never in a hurry.
On the two-lanes... 55 mph
Interstate... 60 mph
"fun" twisty suckers... whatever the Missus will let me get away with! :D

But... I'm also "blessed" with some pretty lousy eyeballs: 20/360 in the left, and 20/40 (corrected!) in the right...:shocked:

SNOOPY
04-15-2014, 06:08 PM
As long as the detector isn't going off I like going fast. :)

I have my burst of 80-100 on the highways when not near any traffic.

I don't have any friends so I don't ride w them. roflmao

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Do you mean, your ILLEGAL radar detector??
Are do you take your rolling mayhem, to neighboring States? :D

SNOOPY
04-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Do you mean, your ILLEGAL radar detector??
Are do you take your rolling mayhem, to neighboring States? :D

North Carolina, I'm 10 miles from the line.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :shocked:

lil rabbit
04-15-2014, 06:14 PM
When I am riding by myself I usually maintain 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit. Here is in Washington the local law enforcement can pull you over if your going 4 to 5 mph over speed limit in town. But if I am on an interstate I usually go with the flow of traffic and on back roads with alot of twisties and turns I like to open it up and challenge myself on the turns and sometimes Ms. Nanny kicks in and then off I go again. :yes::yes::yes:

SpyderAnn01
04-15-2014, 06:30 PM
When I am riding by myself I usually maintain 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit. Here is in Washington the local law enforcement can pull you over if your going 4 to 5 mph over speed limit in town. But if I am on an interstate I usually go with the flow of traffic and on back roads with alot of twisties and turns I like to open it up and challenge myself on the turns and sometimes Ms. Nanny kicks in and then off I go again. :yes::yes::yes:

That's the way I like to ride!

mastertek2000
04-15-2014, 06:33 PM
With the RS we where always around 85 don't know withe the RT will post after breaking

ARtraveler
04-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I usually ride 5+ or so over posted--OR--follow traffic if its doing something else.

I like to take twisties that I am familiar with, up to 20+ over posted on curves. I still obey the 55 + 5 though.

I am more of the leisure type driver than one that likes high speeds. I only see 70 when I am running the 65 mph zones.

I cruised through a radar trap today at 68 in a 65 zone. The nice man was hiding on top of a bridge, and by the time I saw him, it would have been to late had I really been speeding. :thumbup:

Next Day--UPDATE: I met the same car doing the radar trap again today. He was on a different overpass. 68 in a 65 zone again.

Flanker
04-15-2014, 08:23 PM
When in town/village I never ride over the limit. The locals know where you live, and will life miserable for you if you demand attention with antics. Out on the road, I'm usually within 5-10 MPH of the posted limit, unless I fell like thrashing on it (if I feel like that I usually just bust out the ZX14 and Depends and go that route! :joke:).

SPYD1
04-15-2014, 08:30 PM
It depends on what channel I'm listening to on Pandora...:clap:

Blue Star
04-15-2014, 08:42 PM
what speeds do you ride at. i have a tendency to cruse around when with one friend at about between 70 and 80 mph but when riding with my 2 wheel friends it is sometimes a lil faster. if i am by myself i am between 50 and 60, i do like to stay in front of other motorist just because i don't like being in blind spots.

so what do you do and how many slow down in turns, i did scare myself on sunday with one turn at about 70

Honest, no really, would I lie :dontknow:

Okay, maybe five or twenty over the posted :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Chupaca
04-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Freeways 75-85 with bursts over 100. Back roads hills and twisties 50-65 with bursts of 80. Now if you want to know for real....take the total miles on your trip meter divide it by the hours on the resettable trip clock ( only registers engine time) and you will find you go a lot slower than you think (average) but it does include idle time with the engine running....:thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-16-2014, 07:07 AM
:shocked: It appears that I'm the Olphart of this group... :opps:

retired1
04-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Freeways 75-85 with bursts over 100. Back roads hills and twisties 50-65 with bursts of 80. Now if you want to know for real....take the total miles on your trip meter divide it by the hours on the resettable trip clock ( only registers engine time) and you will find you go a lot slower than you think (average) but it does include idle time with the engine running....:thumbup:

On my '10 and now my '14 RT my average speed is displayed on my Trip A and Trip B screens,until I reset them.

bruiser
04-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Usually 5-8 over on interstates. Except in Va., and even more so around Emporia, Va. On back roads same thing. In town, i do the speed limit. Our city police and state troopers just announced a crack down on speeders. There were two motorcycle wrecks in the area this past weekend, both due to excessive speed by the bikers. Both on sport bikes. I'm to old to get out and run like I did when I was younger.

lwrydr
04-16-2014, 08:42 AM
I ride about 5 over on highways and the speed limit in towns. On back road I ride the speed limits usually cause i'm there to see the
scenery not go like a bat out of you know where. Since I have retired I am not in a hurry to get anyplace. (9 years ago)

bluestratos
04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
I ride the speed limited (GPS, not speedo) + 5% -1mph over (60 x 5% = 3-1 =62.) to lessen people from getting frustrated behind me but with in tolerance of the law. I also have a radar detector, not to speed but to help me anticipate what's up a ahead since as speeders tend to slam their brakes when they see a patrol car on the side of the road or coming a them. If I get a red light, my foot is ready for the break and I watch the brake lights ahead.

Bob Denman
04-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Question: How well does your speedometer compare with your GPS? :dontknow:
Mine is a nice, steady 1 mph higher than the GPS... :thumbup:

Chupaca
04-16-2014, 11:11 AM
On my '10 and now my '14 RT my average speed is displayed on my Trip A and Trip B screens,until I reset them.

That's nice. On the RS you don't have that feature. But when I do calculate it it usually comes out to a trip average of 55/60 mph. :thumbup:

Knarfoh
04-16-2014, 11:53 AM
what speeds do you ride at.
I usually go 2 to 3 over posted limits. Stretches of highway are being posted at 70 m.p.h. based on new Ohio law passed several years ago. Requires study before road speed changes can be made. I check my GPS calculated speed against Spyder speedometer: they usually read the same but sometimes are off 1 m.p.h.

I have talked to some motorcycle riders and they claim their speedometers have been off as much as 6 -7 miles per hour. NOT SPYDER owners, just other motorcycle enthusiasts.

Bob Denman
04-16-2014, 11:57 AM
We are pretty much limited to 55/65 mph on the four lanes...
When we get near a sign that says "70" or higher; we don't know what to do with all of the excess joy! :D
So we burn it up in the combustion chamber! :2thumbs:

btcherm
04-17-2014, 05:03 AM
It depends on what music is playing on the radio , if it the Who were cruising right along if its bobby Vee its a slow ride .

Bob Denman
04-17-2014, 07:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

bluestratos
04-17-2014, 09:17 AM
My speed difference between the GPS and the Speed is a %, at 25 it is right on, at 40 the speed reads 1 mph high, at 60 it reads 2 high. The new 14 is the same as the 11 I had before this.
This is much better than most bikes, my last 2 wheeler was 8% out.

Bob Denman
04-17-2014, 09:26 AM
That's what I would think...
I'm going to have to watch mine a bit closer. :shocked:
It's off by one mph at 55
... and the same one mph, at 35 :dontknow:

the trick: checking this out, and NOT running off the road while doing it!! :yikes:

ARtraveler
04-17-2014, 07:45 PM
That's what I would think...
I'm going to have to watch mine a bit closer. :shocked:
It's off by one mph at 55
... and the same one mph, at 35 :dontknow:

the trick: checking this out, and NOT running off the road while doing it!! :yikes:

Let us know what you find. As I understand it, most speedometers are set to run a bit high. All my recent Kawi's were off by 5 mph too high. The Spyders seem to be more on. I have tested them by driving through those signs that tell you what your actual speed is. The Spyders seem to be one or two mph high. No GPS here--I am old school.

Bob Denman
04-18-2014, 07:06 AM
My 2010 was always reading 1 mph; when compared to radar...
I'm going to have to go "tickle a LEO's interest", and see what he tells me! :shocked: :D

flaggerphil
04-18-2014, 04:53 PM
On the freeway I usually cruise at 75 mph...or roughly 5 mph over the limit if it's under 70. On other roads it's usually 5 over, except in residential areas where I stay strictly at the speed limit. I don't speed in residential areas at all.

I did get up to 103 mph indicated on a long, straight, empty stretch of I-95 south of Daytona once, just to see if the RT could get up there.

Dan_Ashley
04-19-2014, 06:05 PM
My mom used to tell me never to Ryde faster than my guardian angel can fly. That sounds nice and all, but my guardian angel is a fat, nearly featherless old fart. So, I can only get into second gear when fat-angel is feeling frisky. Otherwise I' stuck in first.

Bob Denman
04-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Mine gets motion sickness... :barf:

Dan_Ashley
04-20-2014, 01:26 PM
We need biker angels...the kind that actually Ryde, and maybe are members of ABATE.

Bob Denman
04-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Do you mean........... :D

cuznjohn
04-20-2014, 03:28 PM
today my avg. speed was,,,,, hurry up and get home to warm up

Dan_Ashley
04-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Do you mean........... :D
Exactly.