PDA

View Full Version : 2014 rt oil question

dtkennney
04-15-2014, 04:01 PM
The tech at my dealer recommended using synthetic blend oil at my 3000 mile maintenance and switching to full synthetic at the next oil change interval. I listened to him and now am having second thoughts. I would appreciate your input on this issue.

Gray Ghost
04-15-2014, 04:12 PM
If it has already been changed, I wouldn't worry about it. I prefer synthetic but the blend is an acceptable oil.

bmwlarry
04-15-2014, 04:30 PM
I have used BRP blend and changed to Amzoil. BUT - I have decided to return for the BRP blended form here on out. This is based on comemnts the tech that works on my bike. He has informed me that the amount of SYN in the BRP blended is high enough, full syn is not justified. Oil questions will always open a huge can of worms.

dtkennney
04-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks Larry where in Beaverton do you live. I am in Sherwood.

BajaRon
04-15-2014, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure not to go over on your change interval.

Most blended oils have about 10% synthetic and 90% regular oil. Personally, I've never understood blended oil. If you compare the blended to 100% regular oil and then calculate what it costs them to put just 10% synthetic (and many run less than that), you'll usually find that it is a pretty expensive 10%.

It's like putting 10% of your favorite bottled water into 90% tap water. Why bother?

To me it just makes sense to spend a few more dollars to get 100% synthetic oil. It lubricates better and protects better. I like better!

Just the way I look at it.

Purple Guy
04-15-2014, 06:05 PM
For the extra protection I wouldn't use anything but 100% synthetic.
Got about 40 grand into this baby, an extra $30 a year on oil...

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-15-2014, 07:21 PM
In the beginning BRP said for all intents that if you didn't use a " FULL SYNTHETIC " oil in the Spyder it would more than likely self destruct.......NOW after NO changes inside the engine ( that would eliminate the need for synthetic oil ) BRP says it's fine to use BLENDED OIL,..................Either BRP was lying then or they are lying now , take your pick..................Personally it's Full Synthetic for the Spyder.....Mike :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
04-15-2014, 08:38 PM
In the beginning BRP said for all intents that if you didn't use a " FULL SYNTHETIC " oil in the Spyder it would more than likely self destruct.......NOW after NO changes inside the engine ( that would eliminate the need for synthetic oil ) BRP says it's fine to use BLENDED OIL,..................Either BRP was lying then or they are lying now , take your pick..................Personally it's Full Synthetic for the Spyder.....Mike :thumbup:

Yep, Ya can't have it both ways and those that speak from both sides of their mouths are usually speaking with forked tongues:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::yikes:

Chupaca
04-15-2014, 09:27 PM
As long as the oil used is within the recommended spec's you are fine. I have used brp's XPS blended and it has done well. High tech racing engines etc do well with the full synthetics. The way I ryde and where I ryde I prefer the blend. You will be fine and can choose at the next change. Now don't start with that buck extra for high test...:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
04-16-2014, 07:35 AM
In the "Old Days"; they used to suggest staying away from synthetics, until the engine was fully broken-in. Something about getting the rings to fully seat; I think. :dontknow:
If you do use the BRP blend for your 3,000 mile service, and switch to full synthetic at 12,300 miles; that should certainly give eveything a good chance to get used to the situation... :thumbup:

Or, am I completely out of touch?? :shocked:

BajaRon
04-16-2014, 08:49 AM
In the "Old Days"; they used to suggest staying away from synthetics, until the engine was fully broken-in. Something about getting the rings to fully seat; I think. :dontknow:
If you do use the BRP blend for your 3,000 mile service, and switch to full synthetic at 12,300 miles; that should certainly give eveything a good chance to get used to the situation... :thumbup:

Or, am I completely out of touch?? :shocked:

Somewhat. These days the machining techniques and metals used plus the initial break-in period at the factory (yes, your 'Brand New' motor has quite a few miles on it) switching to full synthetic right away is not a problem.

Some vehicles come from the factory with full synthetic oil these days. I'm not sure what goes into a new Spyder but I'll bet it's not always the Blended oil.

Bob Denman
04-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Well :shocked:; "Somewhat" out of touch, might just beat, "In the Dark, and without a clue" by a fair piece! :2thumbs:

BajaRon
04-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Well :shocked:; "Somewhat" out of touch, might just beat, "In the Dark, and without a clue" by a fair piece! :2thumbs:

How about just a tiny bit of somewhat out of touch....

Bob Denman
04-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Well; Now you're almost damning me, with faint praise! :D
But that's closer than I've been to an "Attaboy"; in over a Month! :shocked: