PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Fires

oldguyinTX
04-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Not for nothing, but with the posts that I see about Spyders heat issues, gas fumes, and fires, I find it odd that if you go the the NHTSA website and look at the complaints about Spyder RT's, not one of them references a fire or burn injuries. Without flooding them with complaints, they will not do anything to make BRP seriously address this issue other than saying "don't over fill the gas tank". Classic case of blaming the consumer for a manufacturer's shortcomings. Any thoughts?

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 11:33 AM
As much as I hate to see the government involved in anything more than blaming each other for everything... :agree: with you.
Give NHTSA the honest facts surrounding an occurrence, and if they see a trend; they'll jump all over it.
Personally :shocked:; I hope that very little is found, that can be blamed on BRP...
... Would you want them "pulling the plug", on production of these bikes? :yikes:

oldguyinTX
04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
As much as I hate to see the government involved in anything more than blaming each other for everything... :agree: with you.
Give NHTSA the honest facts surrounding an occurrence, and if they see a trend; they'll jump all over it.
Personally :shocked:; I hope that very little is found, that can be blamed on BRP...
... Would you want them "pulling the plug", on production of these bikes? :yikes:

Not necessarily "pull the plug", but put pressure on BRP to get serious and do something realistic about these issues instead of saying that they are normal. Sooner or later, someone is going to die from a fire on a Spyder. Is that normal? NHTSA allows all manufacturers to police themselves to a great extent. If the public doesn't make noise about issues, NHTSA takes the manufacture's word (or silence) about them. Look at how GM duped them for 10 years over the ignition switch issue. So far there are only 19 complaints about these issues (one is mine) on the NHTSA website, which in my humble opinion is pitiful. I have seen a heck of a lot more on this forum than that. Don't people care about their safety? My wife and I love our Spyder, and ride it as often as we can. We just hope that we do not end up being a statistic someday.

woolfski1713
04-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Not for nothing, but with the posts that I see about Spyders heat issues, gas fumes, and fires, I find it odd that if you go the the NHTSA website and look at the complaints about Spyder RT's, not one of them references a fire or burn injuries. Without flooding them with complaints, they will not do anything to make BRP seriously address this issue other than saying "don't over fill the gas tank". Classic case of blaming the consumer for a manufacturer's shortcomings. Any thoughts?

Couldn't agree more..... Make some noise and get the grease....

SpyderAnn01
04-15-2014, 01:01 PM
I filed a report after my fire. It is under 2013 CanAm Spyder with no model name specified and it shows that it was a fire

Chupaca
04-15-2014, 01:15 PM
As much as you hear here there have been relatively few such incedents. Some were brp's units so they will not complain, some have been customers fault. The heat issue is serious and there should be more complaints made but many have opted to work on their own solutions. Brp has made changes, recalls and updates and now that summer is near this heat issue will crop up once again...I do see customer solution working now brp could use some of those to help cure the ill's....

oldguyinTX
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
I filed a report after my fire. It is under 2013 CanAm Spyder with no model name specified and it shows that it was a fire

Thanks, Ann for doing so. Anyone else want to join the party?

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 01:28 PM
:shocked: I would think that the "initiation fees", are a bit on the steep side! :yikes: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_1.gif

oldguyinTX
04-15-2014, 01:50 PM
:shocked: I would think that the "initiation fees", are a bit on the steep side! :yikes: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_1.gif

Only if you buy one.

spydaman60
04-15-2014, 01:55 PM
take a look at the hot seat gm is in right now. don't you think brp would be in the same place if they knowingly disregarded an issue??????nojoke

Vrooom
04-15-2014, 02:18 PM

:yes: Taking the time to report is an important step to take for initiating consumer awareness and manufacturing responsibility. Thank you

ARtraveler
04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
I would file a complaint with any type of vehicle if I was involved in a fire or vehicle defect issue. Happily, I don't have to go there at this time.

oldguyinTX
04-15-2014, 02:38 PM
take a look at the hot seat gm is in right now. don't you think brp would be in the same place if they knowingly disregarded an issue??????nojoke

The biggest issue right now for GM is that they knowingly concealed the ignition switch issue from the feds not just for 10 years, but also during their bankruptcy proceedings while taking our tax dollars in a bailout. The Justice Department tends to frown on that, and charges may (or may not) be forthcoming. Not to mention wrongful death lawsuits by the families of those killed. So to me, the question is, is BRP knowingly concealing serious safety issues, or are they just incompetent, can't figure out and come up with a permanent fix, or don't have a big enough Band-Aid? Think about it the next time you fly on a Bombardier regional jet. :yikes:

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 02:40 PM
BRP is a completely separate entity from Bombardier... :shocked:

flamingobabe
04-15-2014, 02:55 PM
I have 3 complaints with NHTSA...not one a fire....but I put money on the fact that Mark finds things wrong with my ST and he fixes it....just yesterday he found a tail light not wired properly....he just fixed it.....happens all the time ...this ST was put together so sloppy.....from day one that we took off the panels...we have found problems...but we are putting accessories on it...we are hoping for the best

oldguyinTX
04-15-2014, 02:57 PM
BRP is a completely separate entity from Bombardier... :shocked:

True, to a point. Bombardier makes planes & trains, BRP makes other stuff, but they both sprung from the same corporate womb. But, BRP also makes Rotax aircraft engines that are not too dissimilar from the engines in Spyders. So far, I have not heard of their plane engines spontaneously combusting, and by all accounts they are very reliable. So, if they can make a safe, reliable engine for aircraft, why not for Spyders? Also, Ski-doos and Sea-doos use Rotax engines as well, but when was the last time anyone heard about one of them burning up.? They are enclosed in Tupperware, just like the Spyder. Maybe being used in snow and/or water helps keep them cool.

SpyderAnn01
04-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Since the recall on the 2013 I know of one more fire that was reported on Facebook. It happened on Christmas Day and somehow it never made it to Spyderlovers. The owner had NOT had the recall work done.

I think that it is your duty to report safety issues to NHTSA!

oldguyinTX
04-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Since the recall on the 2013 I know of one more fire that was reported on Facebook. It happened on Christmas Day and somehow it never made it to Spyderlovers. The owner had NOT had the recall work done.

I think that it is your duty to report safety issues to NHTSA!
:agree: It's the only way anything will get done. BTW, I had the recall work done last summer, and the 2013-9 Warranty Campaign work done last month when I took the RT out of winter storage. IMPERATIVE that owners get this work done!!

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 05:08 PM
:agree: If the warranty work isn't done, and you have a fire... what do you think BRP will say to you??? :shocked:
:lecturef_smilie: You'd have nobody to blame, but yourself...

Mets79ST2013
04-15-2014, 05:19 PM
I just did filed a complain regarding the heat and other stuff going on with my bike, the law firm that I work at is also taking notes regarding what is going on with the bikes, very soon things will be moving forward with a Class action against BRP.....

crazyspyder
04-15-2014, 05:25 PM
I am thinking ..... A class action LAWSUIT ! :chat: yes I have file my complaint :thumbup:

DrewNJ
04-15-2014, 05:55 PM
I am thinking ..... A class action LAWSUIT ! :chat: yes I have file my complaint :thumbup:

Sorry, but I won't be standing next to you on this one......good luck...

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Interesting...
Is that because you've had no problems?
Or because you don't believe that a lawsuit is the proper course of action? :dontknow:

Just curious...

DrewNJ
04-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Interesting...
Is that because you've had no problems?
Or because you don't believe that a lawsuit is the proper course of action? :dontknow:

Just curious...

Mainly because of my personal view on attorneys.....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

SpyderAnn01
04-15-2014, 06:16 PM
:agree: If the warranty work isn't done, and you have a fire... what do you think BRP will say to you??? :shocked:
:lecturef_smilie: You'd have nobody to blame, but yourself...

I would think that both BRP and his insurance company would say "sorry Charlie" but that is on Recall work since you receive a notice in the mail on recalls.

Gordy
04-15-2014, 06:48 PM
have you ever checked salvage listings on cars and light trucks for fires they are quite frequent. A few years ago there were

recalls for faulty ignition switches causing fires so its not only spyders

oldguyinTX
04-15-2014, 08:07 PM
I would think that both BRP and his insurance company would say "sorry Charlie" but that is on Recall work since you receive a notice in the mail on recalls.

That is true that you get a letter for a recall, which I got last summer for the master cylinder overheating, but BRP never sent me a letter and probably no one else got one either about the 2013-9 upgrade. It was only through the diligence of members of this forum that this warranty campaign was brought to light. Again, not a recall which BRP would be compelled by law to inform owners of, but a" "warranty campaign" notice by BRP that appeared on this forum and was not disseminated to the public by BRP. Typical of their position. The maddening thing is that they have established a great position upon which to market a great product that a great many of us, including myself, love to ride. The sad truth is that once we purchase their product,, they do not want to know us. My wife & I love riding our Spyder, as I am sure everyone out there does as well. But BRP, and the dealers that they control, need to step up & take action instead of saying "that's normal", or "we can't duplicate the problem". My dealer engages in a constant struggle with BRP in order to satisfy their customers. The service manager has been negotiating with BRP for the last 3&1/2 weeks for work done on my 2013 RT Ltd. So, this may or may not apply to you, but just wanted to put it out there. ​

jScotD
04-15-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm at a lost for words.. there seems to be a problem,, that is not adressed by BPR other than ... this is normal..... B u RP

I'm ready to take a huge hit and sell mine or take it it apart and put it back together... RIGHT ... like it should have been done in the first place.. :banghead:

maybe a harley tri glide is in my future

3 Wheel Addict
04-15-2014, 09:46 PM
That is true that you get a letter for a recall, which I got last summer for the master cylinder overheating, but BRP never sent me a letter and probably no one else got one either about the 2013-9 upgrade. It was only through the diligence of members of this forum that this warranty campaign was brought to light. Again, not a recall which BRP would be compelled by law to inform owners of, but a" "warranty campaign" notice by BRP that appeared on this forum and was not disseminated to the public by BRP. Typical of their position. The maddening thing is that they have established a great position upon which to market a great product that a great many of us, including myself, love to ride. The sad truth is that once we purchase their product,, they do not want to know us. My wife & I love riding our Spyder, as I am sure everyone out there does as well. But BRP, and the dealers that they control, need to step up & take action instead of saying "that's normal", or "we can't duplicate the problem". My dealer engages in a constant struggle with BRP in order to satisfy their customers. The service manager has been negotiating with BRP for the last 3&1/2 weeks for work done on my 2013 RT Ltd. So, this may or may not apply to you, but just wanted to put it out there. ​

This is all so true!! My spyder was not puking fuel till the temps came back up above 70 degrees and now the fuel smell and sometimes dripping or even a puddle of fuel under the thing. My wife will not get on it and we bought it to ride together. So now what, were stuck with it and can't seem to get it fixed. I worry about parking it in the garage now.

ThreeWire72
04-16-2014, 01:43 AM
True, to a point. Bombardier makes planes & trains, BRP makes other stuff, but they both sprung from the same corporate womb. But, BRP also makes Rotax aircraft engines that are not too dissimilar from the engines in Spyders. So far, I have not heard of their plane engines spontaneously combusting, and by all accounts they are very reliable. So, if they can make a safe, reliable engine for aircraft, why not for Spyders? Also, Ski-doos and Sea-doos use Rotax engines as well, but when was the last time anyone heard about one of them burning up.? They are enclosed in Tupperware, just like the Spyder. Maybe being used in snow and/or water helps keep them cool.
Well, I have had problems with a 2013 RT Limited, that was replaced by my dealer for stalling, heating issues and boiling gas at mild TX temperatures. I also own a Powrachute Air Wolf aircraft. Despite BRP's BS that these are completely different engines.....they are not. They have much more cooling...........that is the answer. Plus, let us all look into quality control issues at BRP. How can the same designed bikes have so much varied problems......heck, they are all the same design? This is a component issue, that BRP fails to address. After retaining an attorney and pressure on lemon law........they changed their tune. Time for a class action lawsuit I am afraid. Man, take a tip from GM BRP and bone-up to the apparent problems many are having with your products! Jeeeeez, correct the problems before they all need a recall? Stupid management......not the first time any of us have seen this?

Oldmanzues
04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Hopefully this will not "stir the pot".
Were there/is there detailed information on say the heat issue ? outside air temp, temp right by the fairing sitting still (nice if it could moving but that would be a problem.) Moving, what was the person wearing. Shorts on a air cooled V twin at 90 degree tempeture, stuck in traffice is very hot. Has the rider had experience with other motorcycles ? or even lawn mowers, "tupperware bikes" or open air engines mootorcycles. When you are "sitting on" a heat source, it will make a difference
Balanced by a person with a cold/normal Spyder under the same circumstances.

Kind of the same information on the gas smell. what, if any changes from stock. How did you fill the tank. How full ? How long did you ride it before the smell or did you ride it. Outside temps. Grade of fuel (no idea if different grades have different evaporation points. ) Liquid on ground, bad news in anycase.
All else being equal, try to inspect a "good one" and a "Problem one". side by side.
Over the years, their have been some really strange problems with vehicles. These were when I did something vehicles, not any more. A certain engine ( I think) oldsmobile. Some would run right, others were terrible. It was discover that the vacum take off ponts were in one order on the good vehicle, different on the problem ones. Factory said, it would not amake a diffrence, but it did. Switch points and the vehicle ran fine.
Honda 360 CC bikes were having problems after being serviced. Would not rev up. Run fine on a test by mechs. Would not run for customers. Answer, mech's were testing with the point cover off, then putting back on for the customer. In doing some the wire was being caught between the cover and the case, shorting it it out at high speed.
From my young adult hood: Buicks ( I think) were having many comlplaints about thumping/ ratting noses in the new cars. All kinds of checks with no answers. Cause, line workers at factory were dumping thie empty pop bottles in the doors, rather then walking back to the machines.

Mets79ST2013
04-16-2014, 10:41 AM
My complaint is under can am spyder st-s done yesterday, I agree we need to file the complain to put pressure on the government to go and ask BRP what is going on, when BRP gets few calls and a letter from the NHTSA maybe then they will act on it, but most of the complains are here on this site...

I'm sorry about the bike the just cut fire and glad they are ok, that's my wife's fear that I'll be riding by myself or one of the boys and something like that happening, I'm no longer taking the boys for rides on the ST-S the RSS is ok.

jScotD
04-16-2014, 08:29 PM
:dontknow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cPxKq-gMDo :dontknow:

Bob Denman
04-17-2014, 07:48 AM
You and I must have gone to different High Schools together or something... :D :2thumbs:

bobnaquin
04-17-2014, 09:09 AM

This fire thing reminds me so much of the DPS issues that the original 2008's had. Those that experienced the problem (me) were actually very few. The rest of the lot explained it away as "holding the handlebars too tight" or some such nonsense. With the fires it's "you topped off the tank!" which is equal nonsense. For the record I top off my tank on every fill up to the very tippy top and have never had a fuel smell or a fire on the two 2008's that I have owned. Also for the record I had the DPS problem three times on my original 2008 and sold it because I was convinced that BRP would never fix it and that it would eventually kill me. I suspect, but it has never been proven, that it killed at least two other riders.

But I had filed a complaint with NHTSA and they eventually took action. I got a recall notice 3 months after I sold my Spyder. With the DPS issue fixed I bought another Spyder and have been enjoying it for some time now.

So while I detest pretty much every aspect of government I am willing to concede that there are some agencies that serve a purpose. The NHTSA, in my experience, is one of them. It made BRP do what was right when they showed no inclination to do so on their own. The result was a much safer bike that more people can enjoy. I would expect the same thing to happen with the fire issue,

Mets79ST2013
04-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Regarding the Recall I was one of the first that got it done if you need to know, what I see here many have issues with their bikes and don't do anything about it, I'm doing something not just for me my kids ride also. And for your information I never received the the Recall notice on the mail, I inform BRP of the issues and my Dealer send the information regarding the 2013 ST-S heat issues.