PDA

View Full Version : LED Trailer Lights Problem

stillriding
04-15-2014, 09:03 AM
There were some recent posts about fast flashing signals after the installation of LEDs on some Spyders. I have a similar problem with my car. Here's the story: I have an Aluma trailer to haul my Spyder on long trips. I had been having trouble with the right-side trailer light assembly intermittently working...as if there was a short. An old-school mechanic friend suggested that I pick up a set of LED lights for the trailer and he'd install them for me. We did that and when he tested things out by plugging my trailer into his old Ranger, all was fine. However, when connected to my 2014 Ford Escape with the factory towing package my signals flash rapidly and an on-screen warning says something like, "trailer signal lamp bulb fault" along with an audible tone. Same with using the brakes. There was a Ford service bulletin for the 2013's that acknowledged the problem and Ford corrected it. Lionking had it done under warranty. But Ford is telling me that there's no problem with the 2014's and maybe I should, "go back to incandescent bulbs." The dealer guy received this information from Ford Engineering and relayed it to me. When asked if there's anything Ford can do at my expense the service guy said no. Suggestions? I'm planning to contact a trailer shop, too.

Larry rt
04-15-2014, 10:13 AM
On the old days you just Chang the flasher element, not sure if you can do that today .

ARCTIC
04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
There were some recent posts about fast flashing signals after the installation of LEDs on some Spyders. I have a similar problem with my car. Here's the story: I have an Aluma trailer to haul my Spyder on long trips. I had been having trouble with the right-side trailer light assembly intermittently working...as if there was a short. An old-school mechanic friend suggested that I pick up a set of LED lights for the trailer and he'd install them for me. We did that and when he tested things out by plugging my trailer into his old Ranger, all was fine. However, when connected to my 2014 Ford Escape with the factory towing package my signals flash rapidly and an on-screen warning says something like, "trailer signal lamp bulb fault" along with an audible tone. Same with using the brakes. There was a Ford service bulletin for the 2013's that acknowledged the problem and Ford corrected it. Lionking had it done under warranty. But Ford is telling me that there's no problem with the 2014's and maybe I should, "go back to incandescent bulbs." The dealer guy received this information from Ford Engineering and relayed it to me. When asked if there's anything Ford can do at my expense the service guy said no. Suggestions? I'm planning to contact a trailer shop, too.
Just add load resistors and the tow rig will think there's incandescent bulbs back there