PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT-S Pulls to Right

Deputy56
04-14-2014, 05:00 PM
I recently took delivery of a 2014 RT-S. While making the deal I added a laser alignment request. They indicated adjustment was made, however even at slow speed when you take pressure off handlebars vehicle immediately steers to right. Tire pressure equal, no apparent damage to wheel. If a laser alignment is done, and tech fails to reset steering in buds, could this cause a wheel pull? When I jacked up unit and spin wheel it appears to spin true. Thanks for any input

UPDATE: 4/18/14 Returned to dealer today, steering sensor reset, power steering recalibrated, still pulls right. Alignment rechecked all ok. Crossed switched tires and vehicle pulls left. I have decided to open a case with BRP.

Bob Denman
04-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Perhaps the laser alignment got botched-up? :dontknow:
This isn't an electronics issue; something mechanical isn't quite right...
I'd take it back to them; have them test-ride it, and then tell YOU what happened... :gaah:
Good Luck! :thumbup:

SPYD1
04-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Take it back...I would be worried about safety.:dontknow:

NancysToy
04-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Have them zero the steering sensors and redo the alignment if necessary, Be sure they used the proper alignment procedure for the 2013/2014 model. Better yet, get a ROLO/Outlaw alignment if you can. All laser alignment is not equal.

Bob Denman
04-14-2014, 06:54 PM
:agree: :2thumbs:

Chupaca
04-14-2014, 07:15 PM
They did not do or did something that is causing this. Take it back and have them get it right. They are not that bad out of the box...also ask what laser system they use for alignment, if any...:gaah:

Guzzi
04-14-2014, 08:46 PM
I recently took delivery of a 2014 RT-S. While making the deal I added a laser alignment request. They indicated adjustment was made, however even at slow speed when you take pressure off handlebars vehicle immediately steers to right. Tire pressure equal, no apparent damage to wheel. If a laser alignment is done, and tech fails to reset steering in buds, could this cause a wheel pull? When I jacked up unit and spin wheel it appears to spin true. Thanks for any input
Aha!! My new 2014 has the same issue, as i stated a couple of weeks ago on this forum!! Now with 1900 miles, and it still pulls to the right. Can't relax on the bars for a moment without pulling to the right. Will slowly pull from the left lane over the road crown to thr right. Have had 2 lazer alignment checks, new left front tire replaced because of defective tire. New tire is just as bad as the first one! Steering sensor reset twice and is perfect. Wheels run true and not out of round. Rear tire and belt running true. Has dealer and can-am scratching their heads. So, have a new set of front tires coming Wed. Will try the Federal 165/55R15 on the fronts, as they can't be worse than the wobbly Kendas. Also a new set of Elka shocks for the front, on the way. Baja Rons roll bar installed before delivery Jan 27th. Wheel bearings checked and good; brake calipers checked and good. Never had this issue with my 2012, except bad Kenda tires, or any of my autos, without one of the above solving the issue. Hopefully good tires and shocks will help? Will follow up as things progress.:banghead:

S

Guzzi
04-14-2014, 08:57 PM
By the way, alignments done by Mike at ROLO, in their shop at Edgewater, Fl. Buds steering reset at that time, so we know the alignment is correct.

SpyderAnn01
04-14-2014, 09:10 PM

Did your dealer align your Spyder with the Rolo/Outlaw Laser system? Some dealers use a laser that they strap to the brake rotor, which isn't accurate like the Rolo system. That said, we did align a 2014 RT that had the same problem as you are experiencing. His Spyder was delivered with a damaged right wheel, which the dealer replaced. The Spyder pulled to the right from the beginning and the alignment did not correct the problem. After trying for hours and hours to get rid of the pull he decided to swap the left front with the right. He didn't remount the tires, just swapped them from side to side. The result was that the Spyder then pulled to the left. He replaced the tires and the Spyder now goes straight down the road.

Another thing that we have noticed on many of the 2014s is that one wheel will have 10 or more wheel weights and the other will have a couple. My personal Spyder is that way too, I have 19 weights on the left and 7 on the right!

Deputy56
04-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Yes my dealer has the rolo laser system. I have to fight the wheel to stay straight. When I start the vehicle the handle bars want to power to the right. My 2012 drove straight as an arrow.

PMK
04-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Guys at this point two things come to mind.

The first is the dynamic steering. Is it viable that even though the alignment was accomplished and buds reset, that possibly the steering input is applying an application to turn the bars. This would or could mean there is some form of nulling the input force not just the position. This is the basis for power assist. A lesser input force is seen by a sensor. The sensor then outputs and a greater force is applied relative to the direction of the turn.

My second thought is to go old school and not only align the toe, but throw on a set of castor camber gages and see where the caster falls. Castor has a lot of effect on how a vehicle tracks. Possibly there are concerns with short or incorrect suspension arm length.

Just some ideas, not even certain they are both viable.

PK

spyryder
04-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Yes my dealer has the rolo laser system. I have to fight the wheel to stay straight. When I start the vehicle the handle bars want to power to the right. My 2012 drove straight as an arrow.

Try pulling the fuse or relay for the power steering and see if that makes a difference.

PMK
04-15-2014, 04:08 AM
Try pulling the fuse or relay for the power steering and see if that makes a difference.

That sir might prove to be a great simple troubleshooting idea. It will disable the power steering both at input and output. It may throw some codes, but should prove or eliminate the power steering and show the chassis is true.

Another what could be a simple check is to disconnect both inboard tie rods and secure them to the side. Start the vehicle but don't drive it. With no restriction on the steering, see if the bars tend to turn from center on their own. The see if you can find a location where the bars will not turn left or right, this is the nulled position of the steering and idealy it should be in a bars straight position.

PK

NEXUS
04-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Aha!! My new 2014 has the same issue, as i stated a couple of weeks ago on this forum!! Now with 1900 miles, and it still pulls to the right. Can't relax on the bars for a moment without pulling to the right. Will slowly pull from the left lane over the road crown to thr right. Have had 2 lazer alignment checks, new left front tire replaced because of defective tire. New tire is just as bad as the first one! Steering sensor reset twice and is perfect. Wheels run true and not out of round. Rear tire and belt running true. Has dealer and can-am scratching their heads. So, have a new set of front tires coming Wed. Will try the Federal 165/55R15 on the fronts, as they can't be worse than the wobbly Kendas. Also a new set of Elka shocks for the front, on the way. Baja Rons roll bar installed before delivery Jan 27th. Wheel bearings checked and good; brake calipers checked and good. Never had this issue with my 2012, except bad Kenda tires, or any of my autos, without one of the above solving the issue. Hopefully good tires and shocks will help? Will follow up as things progress.:banghead:

S

Mine 2014 also pulls to the right.
Had it laser aligned at the dealership and even after that
it still pulls to the right maybe even just a tad more. The dealer
was baffled about it and did not understand why.

You have to constantly keep your hand pulling back just a little bit
or within a couple hundred feet it will be be in the ditch.

This is my third Spyder the other two a 08, and a 12 had some
I would say normal steering issues but this is constant.

Nexus

Guzzi
04-15-2014, 06:09 AM
Mine 2014 also pulls to the right.
Had it laser aligned at the dealership and even after that
it still pulls to the right maybe even just a tad more. The dealer
was baffled about it and did not understand why.

You have to constantly keep your hand pulling back just a little bit
or within a couple hundred feet it will be be in the ditch.

This is my third Spyder the other two a 08, and a 12 had some
I would say normal steering issues but this is constant.

Nexus
Looks like that's at least 3 of us within the same basic problem with our 2014's. Anyone else out there having these symptoms? Sooner or later we'll find out what's causing the issue.

Nils888
04-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Hi everyone.

I have the Spyder Ann is talking about. The day I picked it up from the dealer it pulled to right and had a steering shake.
When I got home I jacked the front end up and spun both front tires. Both tires where out of round and the right wheel
did not look round. Called the dealer and told them about the problem. They got me a new wheel. After the new wheel was
installed a lot of the shake was gone but it still pulled to the right. The pull to the right was bad enough that it would tire me
out after riding for half an hour.

I had the alignment done by Joe and Ann when they were in long beach. They tried a few different things to try to get it to stop pulling to
the right. The alignment did improve the ride a lot. but it still pulled. In the middle of all this I installed Elka shocks and a Baja Ron sway bar.

Joe and Ann where nice enough to come buy my place to try to recheck the alignment again. They spent almost 4 hours trying different
things to get rid of the pull. Nothing seemed to help. It was 10pm and everyone was tired. So we called it a night.
I got up the next morning and decided to swap the tires side to side. Went for a ride and now it pulled to the left.

So I called the dealer back and ordered two new tires got them put on and went on a 700 mile ride. The pull is 95% gone.
No more steering shake. I have put 1500 miles on since I got the new tires. The spyder is a pleasure to ride now.
If the road is truly flat I can take both hands off the bars and it will go strait. But if the road has slight crown it will
drift to the direction of the crown.

I would like to find a better quality tire to try. But for know I am happy. I can't tell every one how frustrated I was for the first couple
of months I have had my spyder. But now truly love riding every chance I get.:D

So My suggestion is swap the front wheels to see if it pull in the other direction. This is a quick way to see if it is a wheel and tire problem.
I would like to measure the rim diameter where the tire seats from inside to outside net time my tires are off the rims.

I hope this info helps

Guzzi
04-16-2014, 04:11 AM
Nils888. I understand your frustration! Have a pair of new Federal 165/55R15 front tires going on mine friday. Had Kenda tire issues with my 2012 RT, and the 2014 has been no different! I also swapped tires side to side and my pull moved to the opposite side, so it is definately the tires. Will let all know how the new tires work, when installed.

PMK
04-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Tires will make for an easy fix. Should be right as delivered, but still an easy fix.

PK

NEXUS
04-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Nils888. I understand your frustration! Have a pair of new Federal 165/55R15 front tires going on mine friday. Had Kenda tire issues with my 2012 RT, and the 2014 has been no different! I also swapped tires side to side and my pull moved to the opposite side, so it is definately the tires. Will let all know how the new tires work, when installed.

I will also try swapping tires and see what it does.

I also had gotten bad tires before.

Thanks for the info.

Nexus

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ar-Tire-Wobble (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?58003-RT-Rear-Tire-Wobble)

Come to find out it turned out to be a defective Kenda tire and according to the
dealership this is not uncommon. They did replace it at no cost to me and
was told they were turning it in under warranty. This was the OEM Kenda tire
and the first one I really have had problems with.

Bob Denman
04-16-2014, 07:05 AM
(Another stupid question from me...:opps:)
Could it, by any chance, be due to a highly-crowned road that you're on? :shocked:

Hammertime
04-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Rolling resistance in a tire -- even new tires will cause this -- what upsets me is the fact that the alignment (supposedly) was done -- with no road test afterwards????? -- any good tech will road test a vehicle after they work on it -- take it back -- ask why no road test -- first have them swap tires for you and then YOU road test it -- thats basic troubleshooting -- caster is also an interesting issue as I dont believe there is any adjustment available for that unless it was damaged during shipment!

Nils888
04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
(Another stupid question from me...:opps:)
Could it, by any chance, be due to a highly-crowned road that you're on? :shocked:It is not a stupid question.

I spent the first 1500 miles on every kind of road in Southern California. The pull to the right was always there.
I just passed 3000 miles last weekend. I don't feel any pull in the handle bars with the new tires. But on some roads I can not take my hands
off the bars. If I do it will slowly drift to the right.

Nils888
04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Nils888. I understand your frustration! Have a pair of new Federal 165/55R15 front tires going on mine friday. Had Kenda tire issues with my 2012 RT, and the 2014 has been no different! I also swapped tires side to side and my pull moved to the opposite side, so it is definately the tires. Will let all know how the new tires work, when installed.Cool!!! Looking forward to hearing your results. :D

Gray Ghost
04-16-2014, 09:34 AM
While making the deal I added a laser alignment request.

As has been mentioned, not all Laser Alignments are the same. The three dealers in PA that are listed as ROLO/Outlaw (www.spydercomfort.com/dealers) equipped are:
Triumph of Windber (http://www.triumphofwindber.com/)
Windber,PA. 814-467-4830 ( ask for Tim)

Blackman's Cycle Center (http://www.blackmans.com)
Emmaus, PA . 610-965-9865( ask for Steve)

Moto Sports Cycle (http://www.motosportsinc.com/)
Hanover, PA . 717-632-7093 ( ask for Ryan)

SpyderAnn01
04-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Rolling resistance in a tire -- even new tires will cause this -- what upsets me is the fact that the alignment (supposedly) was done -- with no road test afterwards????? -- any good tech will road test a vehicle after they work on it -- take it back -- ask why no road test -- first have them swap tires for you and then YOU road test it -- thats basic troubleshooting -- caster is also an interesting issue as I dont believe there is any adjustment available for that unless it was damaged during shipment!

We send all of our customers out for a test drive.

SpyderAnn01
04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi everyone.

I would like to find a better quality tire to try. But for know I am happy. I can't tell every one how frustrated I was for the first couple
of months I have had my spyder. But now truly love riding every chance I get.:D

Maybe the new Arachnids will prove to be a much better tire for the Spyder.

Gray Ghost
04-16-2014, 01:33 PM

I believe that the test drive and not charging if an alignment is not needed is what sets the independents apart from the dealers with the Outlaw system.

Guzzi
04-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Cool!!! Looking forward to hearing your results. :D
Ok! Installed a pair of NEW Federal 165/55R15 front tires today! Guess what; no more shake, rattle, or roll! Finally a good set of round tires, just like I had to do on my 2012 RT. ALSO, the pull to the right is virtually GONE! It was driving me and the dealer crazy, but appears most of the pull and balance problems were the Kenda tires. The new Federal 595 EVO tire is a tight fit, but doesn't rub, and runs true. Now I can relax on the handlebars without worrying about running off the road. Seems to have plenty of grip, but time will tell. Now back to ROLO for an alignment re-check. What a shame, with only 2000 miles on the new 2014 RTL, I have to buy NEW tires, to get a good set of rubber. I'm finished with Kenda's. The FEDERAL'S are slightly shorter than the Kenda tire, and the speeeo is now 3mph off, instead of 2mph, and ride a slight bit harder, being a V rated tire, but is a small price to pay for 'SMOOOOTH!!!! I would add that the rear will probably get replaced with the new ARACHNID from ROLO. Hope this info helps some of you that are having the Pulling to the right issue.
:ohyea::ohyea:8656286561

Nils888
04-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Maybe the new Arachnids will prove to be a much better tire for the Spyder.Is Arachnid making a
15 inch front tire???

Nils888
04-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Ok! Installed a pair of NEW Federal 165/55R15 front tires today! Guess what; no more shake, rattle, or roll! Finally a good set of round tires, just like I had to do on my 2012 RT. ALSO, the pull to the right is virtually GONE! It was driving me and the dealer crazy, but appears most of the pull and balance problems were the Kenda tires. The new Federal 595 EVO tire is a tight fit, but doesn't rub, and runs true. Now I can relax on the handlebars without worrying about running off the road. Seems to have plenty of grip, but time will tell. Now back to ROLO for an alignment re-check. What a shame, with only 2000 miles on the new 2014 RTL, I have to buy NEW tires, to get a good set of rubber. I'm finished with Kenda's. The FEDERAL'S are slightly shorter than the Kenda tire, and the speeeo is now 3mph off, instead of 2mph, and ride a slight bit harder, being a V rated tire, but is a small price to pay for 'SMOOOOTH!!!! I would add that the rear will probably get replaced with the new ARACHNID from ROLO. Hope this info helps some of you that are having the Pulling to the right issue.
:ohyea::ohyea:8656286561Cool!!!!!!! Thanks for the update. It is nice to see you problem is fixed.:D

Gray Ghost
04-17-2014, 05:44 AM
Is Arachnid making a 15 inch front tire???

Short answer is, not yet. See post #6 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?65652-ARACHNID-TIRES-ARE-HERE-AT-ROLO-LLC&highlight=arachnid

Guzzi
04-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Just to let everyone know, my 2014 RT pull to the right, was being caused by the Kenda front tires. After (2) new right front wollygog Kenda tires (in 2000 miles) I gave up and mounted a new set of Federal 595 Evo 165/55/R15 tires. All of the pull to the right was gone! Apparently the radial runout layup build on the kendas was off and resulted in the tire causing the Spyder RT to pull to the right. I also had the rear Kenda replaced because of balance vibration (out of round), and a new ARACHNID (Vee Rubber) 225/50R15, installed by Mike at ROLO. What a great tire! Rides smoother than the factory Kenda! Handles just as well, if not better. I also had experienced Kenda tire problems on my old 2012, and cured it's problems with new tires also. BRP should pay more attention to the quality control on their factory tires supplied by Kenda. Just to many problems, to suit me. The Federal fronts are a "V" rated tire, so I have lost some of the ride quality because of the extra stiff tire sidewall, but they stick like glue, and are "round" with almost no wheel weights for balance. Smooth ride and goes exactly where you point it. When my new Elka shocks arrive, I should have it dialed in just as I like it. Just my 2cents worth. Going on a trip from Florida to Tennessee next week, around Johnson City and meet up with some old riding buddies. Gonna spend a few days on the twisty backroads. Will see how it does on the twisties with the new tire combination. Sometimes hard to tell here in Florida with our endless straightaways! LOL! GUZZI
:clap::clap:

Bob Denman
04-25-2014, 05:31 PM
:congrats: Please keep us posted on how the Federals work out; I think that you're about the first person who has tried them... (That I know of! :opps:)

StanProff
04-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Just to let everyone know, my 2014 RT pull to the right, was being caused by the Kenda front tires. After (2) new right front wollygog Kenda tires (in 2000 miles) I gave up and mounted a new set of Federal 595 Evo 165/55/R15 tires. All of the pull to the right was gone! Apparently the radial runout layup build on the kendas was off and resulted in the tire causing the Spyder RT to pull to the right. I also had the rear Kenda replaced because of balance vibration (out of round), and a new ARACHNID (Vee Rubber) 225/50R15, installed by Mike at ROLO. What a great tire! Rides smoother than the factory Kenda! Handles just as well, if not better. I also had experienced Kenda tire problems on my old 2012, and cured it's problems with new tires also. BRP should pay more attention to the quality control on their factory tires supplied by Kenda. Just to many problems, to suit me. The Federal fronts are a "V" rated tire, so I have lost some of the ride quality because of the extra stiff tire sidewall, but they stick like glue, and are "round" with almost no wheel weights for balance. Smooth ride and goes exactly where you point it. When my new Elka shocks arrive, I should have it dialed in just as I like it. Just my 2cents worth. Going on a trip from Florida to Tennessee next week, around Johnson City and meet up with some old riding buddies. Gonna spend a few days on the twisty backroads. Will see how it does on the twisties with the new tire combination. Sometimes hard to tell here in Florida with our endless straightaways! LOL! GUZZI

Glad you've got your issue squared away. I have the original kenda'a on the front of my 2010 RT S . Never had an issue (guess I got some good ones) now with 21,000 miles on them and still looking good. I agree it looks like quality control in the tire manufacturing just isn't good enough. I am in the tri cities area Near Johnson city. Good dealer there at East Tennessee ATV.

SpyderAnn01
04-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Glad you got it taken card of. Yours makes 3 - 2014 with bad tires

Guzzi
04-26-2014, 06:01 PM
:congrats: Please keep us posted on how the Federals work out; I think that you're about the first person who has tried them... (That I know of! :opps:)
Bob! The Federal 595 EVO 165/55R15 IS STICKY AS ALL GET OUT! The only issue with this tire so far, is the speed rating. It's rated "V", which is up to 150 mph, and the sidewall is very stiff! Have lost some ride quality, but to me it's a trade off for a nice round tire that doesn't wollygog going down the road, Like the Kenda's. The tire is slightly wider than the Kenda, but doesn't rub, and it's about 3/4 of an inch shorter, so my speedo is off another 1 mph, from the 2 mph before the tire change. Am installing a "Yellowbox" speedo corrector this week to bring the speedometer back in line. All in all, I'm pleased, for my style of riding (lots of long distance). JMO.

Bob Denman
04-26-2014, 06:05 PM
If it's that "sticky"; I hope that it's got some decent tire life too! :2thumbs:

Nils888
04-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Bob! The Federal 595 EVO 165/55R15 IS STICKY AS ALL GET OUT! The only issue with this tire so far, is the speed rating. It's rated "V", which is up to 150 mph, and the sidewall is very stiff! Have lost some ride quality, but to me it's a trade off for a nice round tire that doesn't wollygog going down the road, Like the Kenda's. The tire is slightly wider than the Kenda, but doesn't rub, and it's about 3/4 of an inch shorter, so my speedo is off another 1 mph, from the 2 mph before the tire change. Am installing a "Yellowbox" speedo corrector this week to bring the speedometer back in line. All in all, I'm pleased, for my style of riding (lots of long distance). JMO.What are you running the tire pressure in the federals?

Guzzi
04-26-2014, 08:58 PM
If it's that "sticky"; I hope that it's got some decent tire life too! :2thumbs:

Bob. It's a car tire! Not interested in how much mileage it gets, but how it sticks and handles. So far handling and stick is great. I would think tire life should be excellent, but time will tell.

Guzzi
04-26-2014, 09:16 PM
What are you running the tire pressure in the federals?

Nils888. Ran with 25 psi at first. To hard! Dropped to 22, now at 20psi. Seems about right. Am going on a 3000 mile trip friday, so will experiment with pressures. Rode today down I95 for about 30 miles at 75+ in 85 degree weather. Stopped and checked tire temps and all was ok. Tires are rated for 908 lbs load, so on the spyder low pressures should be no problem with the light weight. Like I said before the only issue is a harder than normal ride due to the stiffer sidewall. One of the available 175/55R15 tires with a "T" speed rating (118 mph) would certainly give a better ride quality IMHO. Remember none of these are made for the spyder so it's a guessing game, and each has his or hers preferences. Will have more input after returning from the trip to the mountains in rain?, heat?, curves, etc. Zhazzam! Guzzi

Bob Denman
04-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Waiting for your report; Have lots of fun... testing! :roflblack: :2thumbs:
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

mrfixit
04-27-2014, 12:19 PM

Ann, The problem with those tires is internal belts that are broken.The only fix is to replace the tires. Destroy the old tires they are unsafe. mrfixit.

Nils888
04-27-2014, 10:47 PM
Nils888. Ran with 25 psi at first. To hard! Dropped to 22, now at 20psi. Seems about right. Am going on a 3000 mile trip friday, so will experiment with pressures. Rode today down I95 for about 30 miles at 75+ in 85 degree weather. Stopped and checked tire temps and all was ok. Tires are rated for 908 lbs load, so on the spyder low pressures should be no problem with the light weight. Like I said before the only issue is a harder than normal ride due to the stiffer sidewall. One of the available 175/55R15 tires with a "T" speed rating (118 mph) would certainly give a better ride quality IMHO. Remember none of these are made for the spyder so it's a guessing game, and each has his or hers preferences. Will have more input after returning from the trip to the mountains in rain?, heat?, curves, etc. Zhazzam! GuzziThank you sir!!!

Ronbo
05-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Looks like that's at least 3 of us within the same basic problem with our 2014's. Anyone else out there having these symptoms? Sooner or later we'll find out what's causing the issue.

Your Arachnid rear tire? I have been looking at those?

Ron

SpyderAnn01
05-06-2014, 09:26 PM
I heard of a few more 2014s pulling at Spyderfest. The BRP Technicians said that they are investigating the problem.

wis2013rtltd
05-07-2014, 09:56 AM
dealer now. I'll keep you posted as to the results. On a side note our 13' had very little wheel weights affixed on the inside, and I noticed the 14' has numerous weights affixed on both wheels, so many in my opinion it looks bad....

SpyderAnn01
05-07-2014, 10:47 AM
dealer now. I'll keep you posted as to the results. On a side note our 13' had very little wheel weights affixed on the inside, and I noticed the 14' has numerous weights affixed on both wheels, so many in my opinion it looks bad....

We have seen the excessive wheel weights on most of the 2014s that we have aligned.

PrairieSpyder
05-07-2014, 01:39 PM
I noticed my '14 pulling to the right the first time I took it from Pit Bulls. They added some air to the right tire. Murphy Brown has also noticed hers pulling to the right. Since that first day, the wind has been so high I can't really get a good idea if it's any better. We both talked with the BRP guys at SF about it and they said their engineers are investigating it.

My question is, if it's that some of the tires are defective in how they were manufactured, why is it only a right-hand pull we see? Wouldn't some of them be pulling to the left?

sddinnh
05-07-2014, 05:47 PM
My question is, if it's that some of the tires are defective in how they were manufactured, why is it only a right-hand pull we see? Wouldn't some of them be pulling to the left?

Good question :firstplace:

NZSpyderRyder
05-07-2014, 06:02 PM
What I can't understand about all this is why BRP are not covering the cost of all this, you shouldn't have to pay for new tyres and correcting the speedo.
or am I missing something ?

Guzzi
05-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Thank you sir!!!

Nils888! Couldn't live with the very hard ride from the new Federal tires (165/55R15). They just beat the front end up, especially on the secondary roads, which are not always the smoothest. Barely acceptable on the Interstate. Federal Tires tracked true and were in perfect balance, and my factory Kenda "pull to the right was gone"!!! Decided to once again try for a good set of factory Kenda fronts. Stopped into Greenville (S.C.) Powersports and had them mount a new front set of Kenda's, at my expense. Had a bad wobble in the bars after the new tires installed, and the dealer worked a couple of hours trying to cure the problem, to no avail. Dealer balanced tires twice, and finally put in "RIDE ON". That helped somewhat, but the wobbly/shimmy remained. Went ahead with my trip on to Johnson City, Tn, and used the new tires for 3 days, in the mountains. At speeds below 40 mph, they were acceptable, but anything over that speed and the handlebars would start to wobble and shimmy!!! Un-rideable over 65 mph (or at the least dangerous), and you could see the tires wobbling from both sides! Started back to Florida, and called Greeenville Powersports and told them I was coming back to get my Federals put back on; at least I could get back home to Florida , and the Federals ran true and didn't cause the bars to flop around, in spite of the hard ride. They would not warranty either of the new tires, as they said my right front hub was out of round, causing the problem. The runout looks fine to me, and If this was the case, why do the Federal car tires, when mounted, not cause the same problem? Of course they had no replacement hub. Will have my local dealer in Florida address that issue. Am really pissed at this point, as BRP GIVES US NO OPTIONS" as far as tires, and apparently there are quality control problems at Kenda, and BRP both. Am a long distance rider and not that fussy; just want my $30000+ purchase to ride smooth and not wobble. I would think this is not to much to expect. Upon arriving back in Florida, my RTL is going to the dealer; handing them the key and telling them to call me when it is right. If the issue is not addressed, then will pursue other options. Oh ,by the way, on a further note, 2 weeks ago, the electric fuel pump on my 2014 RTL was really noisy when the engine was running. Dealer listened to (2) other new 2014's and neither had the noise, like mine; so they replaced, under warranty, the original 2014 fuel pump. Guess what!! The new replacement pump is even louder than the replaced unit!! At a stop light, one guy asked me what the loud whirring sound was?? That was really embarrassing! Don't mean to be a nitpicker, but am highly dissapointed in the issues with my new 2014. 3900 miles now, and still having to jack around to get it right, and enjoy the ride? Local dealer in Daytona is very good, but they are also frustrated with the issues. BRP seems mostly to ignore those of us that do have problems. This post was in answer to Nils888's original question, and for those reading, have had (2) laser alignments, factory 3000 mile service, baja rons sway bar, and smooth spyder installed along with a new ARACHNID rear tire, because the new Kenda Rear was also junk. I do not do my own servicing, but only use authorized BRP dealers.
:banghead::banghead:

PMK
05-10-2014, 06:42 AM
I won't have time until next weekend, but plan to check out our fronts.

We don't have any serious concerns, but a slight something is felt in the bars.

I have my own balancer here at the house. It should easily handle the fronts, but the rear may not happen. I purchased a box of black stick on weights.

Ours still has the oem balance. When one the balancer, I want to see if there is any vertical runout. I also wonder if the because there is no provision to place weights on each rims flange, that maybe the there is more of an inbalance side to side which the static spin balance is not able to detect.

The best balance is dynamic. The tire is spun and weight is placed on each edge of the rim.

Static balance, can still be done by spinning the wheel / tire assembly, but weight is place on the rims centerline. With this method, you can acheive balance. However if the weight varies from each rims edge, it induces a wooble or percession into the rotating wheel assembly.

When conventional motrcycle tires are balanced, this method works fine since the weight is positioned centered between the the fork legs. This minimizes a lot of the percession when compared to a front end similar to a car.

Also, the speed range of your imbalance is typical of that on a car with worn steering or improperly dynamic balance. An out of round tire tends to hop more than wobble.

Dropping it off may solve the problem. I doubt you have a hub issue based on the comments about the other tires.

Kenda is not known as a high end tire. It would be nice if Dunlop and Bridgestone or other comapnies saw a market in the Spyder.

After I get our fronts on the balancer, I'll let you know the results.

PK