PDA

View Full Version : Creaking noise from front sprocket

DunaJ
04-11-2014, 08:44 PM
After making plans for our up coming Spyderfest trip. While in the garage I decided to push the spyder out of the way, when I heard a creaking noise coming from the front sprocket area. :yikes:Didn't see any belt damage are any obvious damage to the sprocket teeth. Took it around the block and didn't notice anything strange in the way it ran. Has anyone had this issue or heard this type of noise from their sprocket? 2008 GS SM5 25000 miles. Thanks in advance for your help.

Freddy
04-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Sadly, it may well be the loose bolt issue. There was a bulletin years back about retorquing the retaining bolt and marking the head of the bolt with a X when done. If not the pulley can come loose damaging it and possibly the shaft if left too long, even falling right off in some cases. With a light, inspect the retaining bolt/pulley. If it seems to have rust coloured power you may have a problem that needs further investigation.

KX5062
04-11-2014, 10:01 PM
I had the same issue. It was because the belt is too tight.

I readjusted it using the Krikit2 method documented here on SL and it stopped immediately. The factor specs are insanely tight. The factory revised the specs to loosen it up somewhat, but many of us who used the Krikit method went even a little looser than BRP specs with good results and no issues.

DunaJ
04-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Sadly, it may well be the loose bolt issue. There was a bulletin years back about retorquing the retaining bolt and marking the head of the bolt with a X when done. If not the pulley can come loose damaging it and possibly the shaft if left too long, even falling right off in some cases. With a light, inspect the retaining bolt/pulley. If it seems to have rust coloured power you may have a problem that needs further investigation.

Can the retaining bolt/pulley be torqued with belt installed or do you have to remove the belt 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Arm
04-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Can the retaining bolt/pulley be torqued with belt installed or do you have to remove the belt 1st?

The retaining bolt can be torqued with the belt in place. (Sorry can't remember the torque ft. lbs, seems like 80 ???)
I usually loosen the bolt at each oil change, then re-torque.

Freddy
04-13-2014, 04:59 AM
Like he said but 100 ftlb. I did mine to 110 and all still good.

sabunim5
04-15-2014, 04:07 PM
My bulletin said 85 ft/lb. I used check it at every other oil change when I was under warranty and changing oil at 3K mile intervals. Now that I am out of warranty I don't drain the full synthetic that I use until it has 5K miles on it, so I check the torque at every oil change. Yes you can do it with the belt on. I have over 40k miles now with no front sprocket issues.

greatrides
04-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I have the same noise and have 25000 plus miles on mine and it is in shop right now getting belt replaced. They think the noise was from a bad lose belt.