PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body replacement

03hdjill
04-10-2014, 05:51 AM
Just so bummed out. Got on my ST for my 45 mile ride to the dealer for my recall work. Had a nice ride. Felt so GREAT to feel the stress of every day life melt away. Dropped the bike off. Got on the back of Mark's RTS to go get dinner and wait for my bike to get done. Went back to pick it up two hours later. Was told that bike had bad throttle body and had to leave it. Talk about instant depression! Had my entire weekend ride planned. This really sucks! Bikeless again. They have to order the TB. Does anyone know how long this job should take? How long does it normally take to get the TB from Can Am?

RBS66
04-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Did they tell you why your throttle body had to be replaced so soon? I have 2013 RT and it seems everyday I read on here about different problems. With my heat issues and other things I read makes me second guess my buying a CAN AM.

03hdjill
04-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Did they tell you why your throttle body had to be replaced so soon? I have 2013 RT and it seems everyday I read on here about different problems. With my heat issues and other things I read makes me second guess my buying a CAN AM.

Well, after my last Service Bulletin was completed last fall, I told the dealer that my bike seemed to be running rougher and that I felt more heat on the left side. He told me that he felt everything was fine. I parked the bike in the garage on the battery tender probably the end of last November or December and have not been on it until yesterday. When I went to start it up, it sounded like it was going to "take off"....it was clanging and shaking, making all kinds of noise..RPMs jumping all over the place...I got a check engine...turned it off and tried to do it two more times. Finally after the third time, the bike settled down. I let it run while I checked the tire pressure and got ready to leave. It ran fine. Mark seemed to think that the condensation had gotten to it from sitting over the winter.

I have no idea if the TB went bad last fall or yesterday.. Either way, the tech told me that the code that it threw meant that it HAD to be replaced. He said that it could get stuck either fully open or closed and I could be in trouble. As much as I like riding, I could not take the chance.

RBS66
04-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Well, after my last Service Bulletin was completed last fall, I told the dealer that my bike seemed to be running rougher and that I felt more heat on the left side. He told me that he felt everything was fine. I parked the bike in the garage on the battery tender probably the end of last November or December and have not been on it until yesterday. When I went to start it up, it sounded like it was going to "take off"....it was clanging and shaking, making all kinds of noise..RPMs jumping all over the place...I got a check engine...turned it off and tried to do it two more times. Finally after the third time, the bike settled down. I let it run while I checked the tire pressure and got ready to leave. It ran fine. Mark seemed to think that the condensation had gotten to it from sitting over the winter.

I have no idea if the TB went bad last fall or yesterday.. Either way, the tech told me that the code that it threw meant that it HAD to be replaced. He said that it could get stuck either fully open or closed and I could be in trouble. As much as I like riding, I could not take the chance.

Wow hope they get you back up and running quickly.

03hdjill
04-10-2014, 07:27 AM
So sorry to hear that Jill.
It would seem that BRP should have mountains of TB available, but they probably don’t.

I hope it’s not at our zinc rated dealer.

Roger, I gave up on the "zinc rated dealer" before I purchased the bike. He really seemed like he was not very interested in selling or servicing the Spyders...... Instead, I bought my bike at Mosites Motorsports on Rt 30 in North Huntingdon, PA. It takes a little longer to get there, but I think they are rated "Platinum".

Bob Denman
04-10-2014, 07:28 AM
I know that feeling... :shocked:
The rpms doesn't act as if they're responding to inputs from your right wrist. :gaah:
Do you know how to check for active codes?
If you ever have another session like that;
Lay your left thumb across the "mode", and "set" buttons, and then push in the turnsignal switch (as if you're cancelling a signal)
Any codes that are ACTIVE, will pop up on the main screen...
hit "mode" again, and you're back to where you started.
If you note what codes pop up, there are lots of reference sources to tell you what they mean...

Good Luck; let us know when you get the bike back! :thumbup:

03hdjill
04-10-2014, 07:46 AM
I know that feeling... :shocked:
The rpms doesn't act as if they're responding to inputs from your right wrist. :gaah:
Do you know how to check for active codes?
If you ever have another session like that;
Lay your left thumb across the "mode", and "set" buttons, and then push in the turnsignal switch (as if you're cancelling a signal)
Any codes that are ACTIVE, will pop up on the main screen...
hit "mode" again, and you're back to where you started.
If you note what codes pop up, there are lots of reference sources to tell you what they mean...

Good Luck; let us know when you get the bike back! :thumbup:

Thanks Bob! I guess I should have checked to see if I had any codes last fall. At least that way I would have known when the TB actually "went".

It just seems as if when the bike hit the 5000 mile mark, things just started going "south"....I think I only have around 5700 miles on it....Hopefully things will get fixed and I will have a great riding season this year.....My fingers are crossed....I have a lot of riding planned.....

Bob Denman
04-10-2014, 09:26 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gif for you too! :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
04-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Nice Website! :thumbup:
I'm telling the Missus to plan a ride to Western "Pennsyl-tucky" :D

03hdjill
04-10-2014, 04:20 PM
I hope so too.
If you are ever in the area or plan to be call and stop by.
www.opap.biz (http://www.opap.biz)

Great site! We will. I would love to see your alpacas. I really miss mine.

cuznjohn
04-10-2014, 05:11 PM
well i will ask being no one else did HOW DO THEY TASTE

ulflyer
05-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Just so bummed out. Got on my ST for my 45 mile ride to the dealer for my recall work. Had a nice ride. Felt so GREAT to feel the stress of every day life melt away. Dropped the bike off. Got on the back of Mark's RTS to go get dinner and wait for my bike to get done. Went back to pick it up two hours later. Was told that bike had bad throttle body and had to leave it. Talk about instant depression! Had my entire weekend ride planned. This really sucks! Bikeless again. They have to order the TB. Does anyone know how long this job should take? How long does it normally take to get the TB from Can Am?

Hopefully you have it back by now, but back in '11 and '12 when I needed TB's on my RT they were shipped from a warehouse in GA and came pretty quickly. At some point, some dealers had them in stock, there were so many being replaced. But BRP made a couple or more computer changes that pretty much solved the problem.