PDA

View Full Version : SE-6 engagement...

Bob Denman
04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Quick question: Has anybody else noticed a little bit of a "Lag", in the engagement of the clutching system on the 1330s? :dontknow:

I never noticed that on the 998s...

ulflyer
04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Bob, I've noticed it a time or two but only when going up from one of the lower gears under load. Didn't seem to continue on rest of upshifts. It was kind of a "whoops was that a clutch slip?" moment. I think it has more to do with whatever RPM I was doing at the time of the shift. Couln't make it repeat. Just that it has happened a few times at moments unexpected.

We gotta have some peculiarities, or the 998'ers will feel bad!
:D:D

Bob Denman
04-09-2014, 01:48 PM
I've noticed mine just taking a while to engage, when first taking off from a dead-stop... :dontknow:
But you're right; we don't want to 998s to feel like everything is perfect for us! :D

ARtraveler
04-09-2014, 01:53 PM
I'll watch for that. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
As you know; the "5s", have a centrifugal system, and the "6s" have a hydraulic one... (I think! :shocked:)

ulflyer
04-09-2014, 03:09 PM
I've noticed that when I first start it in the garage, and then put it in gear for first time, it takes a second or two to start moving. I'm thinking the oil or whatever in the transmission hasn't started circulating good....or somesuch. If its rev'ed a time or two first, theres no lag.

garb55
04-09-2014, 03:59 PM
I can't compare the se5 to the se6 because my other Spyder was a sm5

I have not noticed any lag with the se6

think of it this way

you a One of a kind Spyder :yes:

if it is that bad you might want to have dealer check it

Bob Denman
04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I've noticed that when I first start it in the garage, and then put it in gear for first time, it takes a second or two to start moving. I'm thinking the oil or whatever in the transmission hasn't started circulating good....or somesuch. If its rev'ed a time or two first, theres no lag.

I think that you're on to it! :clap: :2thumbs:
I'll chalk it up to, getting the oil up to speed within the system!
Thanks! :thumbup:

spyder-dude
04-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Bob,

I have noticed it on my 2014 RTS and now have 3800 miles on it. Also sometimes when first starting out I notice it act like it is slipping....almost feels like I left the parking break on but know that I didn't. :(

daveinva
04-11-2014, 08:40 AM
We did a ride last night. With the engine not up to temp, the clutch engagement is different by a little bit compared to when it's all warmed up.

Nothing crazy drastic but certainly not as crisp as when warmed up.

After it warms up, the fluid engagement is smooth and fluid. Not sure of the exact RPM for clutch lockup, but the clutch holds tight when the throttle twists.

Unless it's especially dramatic, I don't think that's peculiar to the 2014 RT-- my 2010 RS SE5 exhibits the same behavior until the engine warms up. *Nothing* feels particularly smooth on the bike until it gets up to one bar or so.

PW2013STL
04-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Oil temp has a lot to do with it. In non-tech terms cold oil = thicker (Hard to flow) and warm oil = thinner (Easy to flow). I have also noted the lag when first starting out compaired to after it is up to operating temps.

bluestratos
04-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Definitely a bit of delay off the line. I also notice it kick-out when rolling to a stop or on a slow turn just as if I had pulled in on the clutch on a standard model.

garb55
04-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Definitely a bit of delay off the line. I also notice it kick-out when rolling to a stop or on a slow turn just as if I had pulled in on the clutch on a standard model.

The clutch on the SE6 is the same as the SM6
the difference is how it is activated
the SM6 has a hand lever you have to pull
The SE6 is done by electronics and solenoids
When you are stopped and then take off the solenoids release the clutch slower so you don't kill the engine
The BRP tech where I bring my bike told me when it is shifting gears it cuts the motor
Don't know if that is true but he did just get back from being trained on the 1330
I does feel like you shut off the key for a split second sometimes
Don

Bob Denman
04-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Don,
I don't know if it cuts the motor off completey; but it sure does something to it!
Try a "WFO" full-throttle blast, and bang through the gears as fast as you can! :shocked:
You NEVER have to let off the throttle! :thumbup:
THAT's electronics at their best! :clap:

garb55
04-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Don,
I don't know if it cuts the motor off completey; but it sure does something to it!
Try a "WFO" full-throttle blast, and bang through the gears as fast as you can! :shocked:
You NEVER have to let off the throttle! :thumbup:
THAT's electronics at their best! :clap:

then did it again and again and ag:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Cruzr Joe
04-12-2014, 08:18 PM
3986 miles and no problem yet

cruzr joe

Wiredux
04-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Joe you need to slow down. I'm only at 1800. Trying to catch up.

Bob Denman
04-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Give him a little headstart... he's already old! :shocked: :D

Ronbo
04-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Quick question: Has anybody else noticed a little bit of a "Lag", in the engagement of the clutching system on the 1330s? :dontknow:

I never noticed that on the 998s...
If I've got the throttle "nailed", I sometimes get that.....but as a reflex,I nearly always make a fractional throttle reduction when I shift and it's smooth as butter. I know that's contrary to what's said....maybe my imagination

Ron

iSpyder
10-21-2014, 10:04 PM
I love my 2014 RTS but I do think the shifting is a little less forgiving than my 2012 RTS was. I notice a lag occasionally usually between 3rd and 4th when it happens. I think it is when I shift at higher RPMs from 2nd to 3rd and then shift too quick from 3rd to 4th.

A1A
10-22-2014, 05:41 PM
I've noticed the lag in the shifts only from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd sometimes. Any time it has done this the motor and oil were already up to temperature. I only have 1,950 miles, so no full throttle blasts on my Spyder yet.